Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#47215 by geni4u
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:09 pm
Hi,

I got an Ooma hub/scout combo yesterday and installed it. I can make and receive calls. Great!

One question I have is about the brightness adjustment knob on the hub. I can entirely turn off all the lights on the scout by turning the brightness dial to the lowest level, but I cannot do this on the hub.

When I turn the knob on the hub, the intensity of lights changes, but at the lowest level, they don't go out entirely. If I press the ooma tab at this same level, lights go out. If I release the tab, they come on again. Pressing/releasing the ooma tab affects brightness from 0% (darkest) to about 50% brightness level. After that level to up 100% brightness level, pressing/releasing the ooma tab doesn't affect brightness.

It looks like that the ooma tab makes a bad contact to the main circuit. The scout doesn't have this problem; no matter what I do with the ooma tab on it, brightness is not affected. Also, at the lowest level, all the lights on the scout entirely go out.

I'm wondering if my hub is defective or this behavior is just by design (for what?). It would be really appreciated if you could test your hub's ooma tab to see if this behavior is universal or just mine.

Thank you very much!
#47219 by jdorin
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:32 pm
The brightness wheel on the right side of my hub reduces the brightness of the Ooma tab gradually from full bright to completely off with just 1/2 turn. Nothing else happens during the last 1/2 of the wheel's turn .. the Ooma tab just stays dark.

I've had the hub since just last November.
#47251 by geni4u
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm
jdorin wrote:The brightness wheel on the right side of my hub reduces the brightness of the Ooma tab gradually from full bright to completely off with just 1/2 turn. Nothing else happens during the last 1/2 of the wheel's turn .. the Ooma tab just stays dark.

I've had the hub since just last November.


Thank you. That is exactly what my scout does.

Also, if I hold the Ooma tab on my hub, the same thing happens (upper 1/2 turn to completely off and, lower than that, stays off). It looks like a quality control issue.

Does anyone else have the same issue?
#47282 by jdorin
Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 am
geni4u-

You said: "Also, if I hold the Ooma tab on my hub, the same thing happens..."

I'm confused. What do you mean by holding the Ooma tab on your hub :?: Are you talking about the clear tab that sticks out the back and is blue when all systems are go?

Does holding, vs. not holding, the tab cause a difference when scrolling the light intensity wheel on the right side of your hub's case :?: It doesn't for my hub. If it doesn't for you, also, what are you thinking holding the tab should do?

My hub's Ooma tab (the clear one that sticks out the back) doesn't push in nor out, but it does let me click it down about 1/16" inch, which has no discernible effect .. i.e., nothing happens when I click/release it .. dunno what it's for.
#47300 by geni4u
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 am
jdorin wrote:I'm confused. What do you mean by holding the Ooma tab on your hub :?: Are you talking about the clear tab that sticks out the back and is blue when all systems are go?


Yes, I'm talking about the clear tab that sticks out on the upper left side.

jdorin wrote:Does holding, vs. not holding, the tab cause a difference when scrolling the light intensity wheel on the right side of your hub's case :?: It doesn't for my hub. If it doesn't for you, also, what are you thinking holding the tab should do?

My hub's Ooma tab (the clear one that sticks out the back) doesn't push in nor out, but it does let me click it down about 1/16" inch, which has no discernible effect .. i.e., nothing happens when I click/release it .. dunno what it's for.


By holding it, I mean clicking it down (as you describe above) and holding it there without releasing it. As feartheturtle said, clicking down and releasing it while plugging in the power cord triggers a factory reset. Except for that, I think doing this shouldn't affect anything (e.g., no light intensity changes).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests