Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#2714 by johnnyrod
Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:30 pm
I've been trying several times to fax out, but I keep getting a communicaion error and then dropped. Here is what I have done:

1) fax hooked up the hub on PHONE jack.

2) QOS set to 384. ( even tried 400 with no luck ).

3) Dialed *99 and then a pause and then the number.

4) used a few different phone cords with same results.

5) tried 1 page, 2 page, 3 page..none would finish sending a fax.

I tried all the above on my landline with no problem. Any ideas?
Fax machine is a multi-function Brother 8460N. It's always worked with my landline. I already bought the Premier upgrade hoping I could use it for a fax line. I don't fax much - maybe 3-4 a month, but when I need it I really need it.
#2724 by sunrisepostal
Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 am
just dial *99xxx-xxx-xxxx and 10 digit number (don't put 1 before number) you don't have to plush between *99 and number you should be fine i fax every day about 10 fax without any problem.

There is some fax number you receive error but most work just fine.
#2797 by johnnyrod
Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm
I'll try that tonight. It's weird you don't need the 1. If I try to dial a number without the 1 it does not even connect. I'll try again and see how it goes.

I also have the fax set to Standard resolution and basic connection of 9600 baud.
#2808 by johnnyrod
Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm
Tried it. Without the pause it worked twice in the first 4 attempts. Then it stopped working. I tried a document with less text and that worked. The following 7 or so attempts all failed with the same document.

So, out of a little over a dozen attempts, three worked. That's pretty bad. That means I have about a 25% chance of sending out a fax.

That was using *991XXX-XXX-XXXX. I don't see how you can omit the "1"...I just get an error tone right away if I do that.

What fax modem brand do you use and what is your internet speed and QoS? I have a brother multi-function laser printer, cable internet w/ 7Mps Downstream and 512K upstream, and QoS of 384.
#2818 by trim81
Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 am
get yourself a 2 strand telephone wire (only green and red) as opposed to a 4-strand telephone cord.

OR if you only have a 4 strand cable, cut the yellow and black wires on both ends.

Oddly enough, the black and yellow wires (3rd and 4th wire) bleeds into the fax transmission.

So do as above and your fax success rate will increase
#2824 by sunrisepostal
Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 am
what is your download and upload speed
you must have 1.5mb down and 512kb up to make fax work without error.
and also with this speed if you using internet or download something on computer it wont work.
#2847 by johnnyrod
Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 pm
I have 7MB down and 512K up. I'll try the phone cord thing and see if it works. My friend who has an OOMA in San Antonio says she gets the same problem and she has DSL.

However, I've noticed the past month or so that my cable internet speed really varies a lot. More than it ever did. I don't know if Time Warner is having troubles or what. I can be at 6.7M down and 484k up one minute and then *boom* for a few hours it's down to 2.5M down and 150k up - and it happens in the daytime more than the night. That stinks for me since I am at home most of the day. I just called a friend in San Antonio and they could not hear me one bit. Perhaps it's time to switch to DSL if Time Warner cannot give me speeds that stay at least close to the range I need it to be. ATT said I could do a dry loop DSL of 6M down and 768K up for $45/month. They have fiber optic U-verse here, but I don't watch much TV.

For now, I am looking at a standalone online fax service in the event I need to have incoming faxes.

John
#2867 by johnnyrod
Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm
I was trying to fax out earlier today, but even my OOMA regular phone calls are totally choppy. I called Time Warner and it seems there is a connection problem. Hopefully, it can be fixed. It won't get looked at until Wed, though. Right now my upspeed just fell to 100K and I can't use the OOMA at all and my internet connection is about 1/5 of the speed it was yesterday.

If this continues with Time Warner I will switch to ATT and see how it goes with DSL and faxing.

John
#2872 by trim81
Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 pm
try my cable 2 strand fix, bet you it will work (or better performance at least)
#2887 by xy9094
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 am
I am trying to use credit card processing machine with OOMA, but everytime credit card machine modem attempts to dial out, it is not successful.

Either it is OOMA dial tone it does not recognize or it needs another dial setting line *99 etc (similar to fax machine).

Please advise.