Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#47066 by oomahell
Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:48 pm
I am stuck in phone service hell!!! We tried the OOMA service and it did not work with our internet provider - all phone calls were so full of static we could not hear anything. We returned the device to the store and started the process of porting the number back to our original provider. It has taken multiple phone calls between both companies to try and get this straightened out - we will see if it works...

Now to top it off, someone in another state has purchased the box & they are receiving all of my phone calls. I was first told that the phone number could be forwarded so I could still receive my calls. However, I was later told after 40 minutes on hold that this could not be done because my premier service expired. I obviously don't want to pay $$ for a service I am trying to cancel. It seems that no one at OOMA can work around this & forward my phone for a few days while before my number gets ported back. When I spoke with a floor supervisor and became upset and asked to speak with their supervisor, they prentended they could not hear me and told me to call back - basically ending the call.

I called my new provider & they are unable to expedite my request & it will take up to 10 days. In addition, I am VERY worried that the port will be cancelled yet again. I AM TOTALLY STUCK AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO HELP ME!!! I have had my phone number for 11 years.

If anyone reading this post can help my situation, please let me know. Since I no one at customer service will give my an honest reliable answer, I guess I will try the corporate offices on Monday AM.

THIS SITUATION IS TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!
#47067 by gunfyter
Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 pm
I am curious why people want to keep their old telephone numbers? Why not just accept a new telephone number and avoid all the stress?

The only reason I ported my number is that it automatically canceled the service with the old provider ... saving me the trouble of a call....
#47080 by amoney
Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:35 pm
gunfyter wrote:I am curious why people want to keep their old telephone numbers? Why not just accept a new telephone number and avoid all the stress?

The only reason I ported my number is that it automatically canceled the service with the old provider ... saving me the trouble of a call....

You mentioned you PORTED to save yourself the headach of calling one person to cancel service.

Well people want to keep their number for many reasons. Logically the first is friends and family, then all other account contact information such as Banks and what have you, and lastly, I have taken measure to keep my number clean from solicitors. Getting a new number can introduce... is so and so there, nope worng number, to say the least. There is lots of strees getting a new number. Now if you not that attached to a number, then sure get a new number.

Cancelling service is a great experience as you can laugh at the retension department, all you have to say is no thank you and done.

As for OOMAHELL, I would have recommended to keep the Ooma box untill the PORT was completed. I understand they were perhaps at the end of the return window, but there should have been communication to Ooma so they could remove the equipment MAC addess ID of that Ooma box to prevent another customer getting that number. You could have additonally just tagged on $10 month premier service to forward the number untill the return PORT completed.

I am not excuessing Ooma, everyone needs to use logic.
#95575 by scoutconnor
Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Sorry for bringing back such an old thread but I am now in a very similar situation to the OP.
Has anyone actually done the landline to prepaid cell to Ooma route to make a number portable?
Thanks.