Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#46634 by mdnosliw
Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:54 pm
My main goal in using Ooma was to get away from my current phone provider(Fairpoint). I went to the Ooma site in late December and entered my number to see if it could be ported. It came back positive and I purchased a Telco and Handset to use. When I got the equipment I registered and setup my number to be ported.

Six weeks later after not hearing anything I called customer support number. They told me they had no request to port my number. After putting me on hold a couple of times they tell me they cannot port my number.

Now when I go to there web page and check it says that my number can not be ported.

There attitude is that it must be my mistake and that I did not check properly when I signed up.

I say Bull Crap, the only reason I subscribed and purchased equipment was to transfer my number. Before I purchased the equipment my number could be ported, now it can't.

So now I have spent $350 and am still stuck with my old phone company for $50 per month.

Thanks Ooma
#46741 by bamasteve
Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 am
Same exact thing just happened to me. I spent lots of time researching, buying the telo. As I type the security system guy is here to disconnect it from the phone system to be compatiable with the telo.

I checked about two weeks ago. Ooma said my phone number could be ported. So I ordered and set it up. I too remember saying I wanted my number ported. They say I didn't do it. I've invested about $250 for the ooma and $180 for the security system; all thinking I could keep the phone number I have had for the last 9 years.

Not a happy camper here and not getting any good reason as to why things changed, both for my initial request not making it as well as the yes you can port/no you can't port answer.

Not a happy camper,

Steve
#46744 by bamasteve
Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 am
So much for the portability touted in the telecommunications act of 1996. It only works if your VOIP has the ability to receive the number in your area. Supposedly OOMA doesn't have the ability to receive ported numbers here. So even though the law says I can port it, and my current carrier is ready and willing to port it, I cannot.

:o
#46750 by trim81
Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am
Better get your facts straight.

Ooma really wants your business, I am sure.

The reason for not being able to port is because Ooma does not have a rate center in your area for the port.

To get around this: port your number to a Tmobile prepaid phone, then port that number into Ooma.

(more work, but its possible it may work for you)

Also you can check out www.dslreports.com and click on the forums for the VOIP Tech Chat...lots more info there from experts
#46774 by jkjflee
Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm
trim81 wrote:Better get your facts straight.

Ooma really wants your business, I am sure.

The reason for not being able to port is because Ooma does not have a rate center in your area for the port.

To get around this: port your number to a Tmobile prepaid phone, then port that number into Ooma.

(more work, but its possible it may work for you)

Also you can check out http://www.dslreports.com and click on the forums for the VOIP Tech Chat...lots more info there from experts

What is a rate center?
#46845 by feartheturtle
Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 pm
Just one word of caution. Make sure that the folks at T-mobile know that you are porting a land-line number. Insist that you talk to their special department for porting of land-line numbers.

We had a 12 year-old Verizon land-line number that we did not want to give up. When we first talked to T-mobile, the CS rep was very willing to port over our Verizon number. They quickly found out that they could not port over our land-line number in a few hours, and they set up a port for about 10 days later. What no one knew was that during the initial port attempt their system experienced a fatal error that would not surface until they attempted to access the sim card in the cell phone during the next port attempt. Of course the port tried to take place on a Friday. I exchanged the sim on Saturday, then the T-mobile account locked up on Sunday. I had a week long business trip that started on Monday, and the whole ordeal was not resolved until Wednesday. Talk about tension on the home front!
#46855 by mdnosliw
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:36 pm
I do not understand why porting the number to t-mobile and then from t-mobile to Ooma would may any difference. If Ooma could not interact with Fairpoint I would understand.

It seems I can port the number to Callcentric . Or maybe they do the same thing as Ooma, tell you they can port the number and after you set up the account it can't be done.

Now I also find out that if I sell the stuff there is a $60 charge to re register the phone. So what am I going to get for my telco and handset on e-bay maybe $125.
#47055 by bamasteve
Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm
Well I've decided to keep my telo and port the phone number to a prepaid tmobile cell phone. I've already figured I would bite the bullet and switch to a new Google Voice number and swith the old house number to the pre paid mobile. Figure I will leave the voicemail announcement on the cell phone with the new phone number. So I at least get the benefit of Google Voice in all of these changes.

I figure I have two options, I can transfer the old house number to my telo or I can give the cell phone to my daughter when it's her time to get a cell in the next year and a half.

I'm hoping ooma comes out with google voice integration upgrades soon.
#47065 by southsound
Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm
bamasteve wrote: I'm hoping ooma comes out with google voice integration upgrades soon.

I've been using Google Voice as a front end to my ooma and cell phone since I got my account last july. I'm very happy just to use it in a non-integrated way. You really don't need to wait.