Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#2696 by gohawks
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 am
Ooma said it couldn't port my (longtime) landline number and they also couldn't assign me a number in my area code. Someone mentioned in an earlier topic that you could try porting a landline number to an AT&T Go Phone. After that is accomplished you could (presumably) then port the number from AT&T to Ooma. Is this possible? Thanks.
#2735 by Bobby B
Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am
This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.
#2738 by AngelaKendig
Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am
Bobby B wrote:This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.

Others have reported success.
#2746 by gohawks
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm
Bobby B wrote:This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.

I guess I can't resolve this, so unfortunately, I'll be returning it. I bought ooma because I wanted to get rid of this bill altogether. It isn't important to me to keep my current landline number, but at the very least I wanted a one with a local prefix within my area code. Should have done my homework.. my fault.
#2748 by Bobby B
Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:17 pm
Did you already ask the support rep if they could order a number in your local calling area? Sometimes we have the ability to do so.
#2750 by gohawks
Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm
Bobby B wrote:Did you already ask the support rep if they could order a number in your local calling area? Sometimes we have the ability to do so.

I'll do that first-- thanks for your help.