Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#46399 by jdorin
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm
How can you get the forums' Search... function to search for a phrase, or multiple words, all present together, in the order you specify :?:

AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
I want to search for posts containing "call blocking." When I enter the search string as "call blocking" I get returns of all posts containing "call" and all posts containing "blocking." If the post isn't discussing "call blocking," I don't want to see it.

How to enable multiple word searches as submitted .. like most browser searches provide :?:
#46402 by murphy
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm
Look directly under the search button for the words Advanced search in white.
Click on them.
#46442 by jdorin
Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:46 am
Thanks, Murphy, for the reply. Although the "Advanced search" page does give some additional searching capability, I don't see a "multiple words" option. I do see that you can specify:
1. + for words that must be in the found results
2. - for words that must not be in the found results
3. | between words of which at least one must be found

..but no string (words, and only those words) that must be found in the order supplied capability.

I hope I'm overlooking something and that the capability really is there. Yes :?:
#46448 by jdorin
Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 am
WHOA! :shock: Using Google to search into various sites' forums is a technique I was unaware of. Not only did you provide a solution to my immediate (Ooma) searching concerns, but a useful tool for all occasions!

Thanks, Groundhound, you're the best! :D
#46972 by amoney
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:27 pm
Groundhound wrote:Google is better in this case, put the following into a Google search box: "call blocking" site:ooma.com/forums

I did not even know that, great info!

Google has all sorts of tricks, gotta love google.
#47009 by aaplfan
Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:12 am
Ooma forum search is really really bad. I hope they fix it. I posted something a few weeks back re: ADT, doing a search on ooma.com yields zero results... via google: 66 results.
#47010 by murphy
Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 am
aaplfan wrote:Ooma forum search is really really bad. I hope they fix it. I posted something a few weeks back re: ADT, doing a search on ooma.com yields zero results... via google: 66 results.

Forum searches must be at least 4 characters long.
#47094 by rschoonh
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 pm
I'd like to ask that Ooma reduce the minumum forum search word length from 4 to 3 characters. The Google method is great, but it would be nice to be able to search directly in the forum for TLA's like "DMZ", etc.
#47595 by bw1
Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 am
rschoonh wrote:I'd like to ask that Ooma reduce the minumum forum search word length from 4 to 3 characters. The Google method is great, but it would be nice to be able to search directly in the forum for TLA's like "DMZ", etc.

There's an issue with setting the minimum to 3 chars that they're aware of: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1748&p=11136&hilit=forum+search#p11136

One advantage of the forum search is being able to search for an author. You can learn a lot by reading the following posts:

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Dennis+P&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Bobby+B&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Also, there's a lot of tips and tricks to Google searching that's useful to know:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 161f018361