Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#45895 by kelkin
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 pm
I just took a look at Rich's Twitter to see if there was any new news on the features which were supposed to come out, and noticed he posted that he left Ooma. I wonder if this is the proverbial "writing on the wall", now I'm nervous and wondering if I should return my Ooma while I can, or stick it out.

http://twitter.com/Richbuchanan
Last edited by kelkin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#45897 by Groundhound
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:10 pm
kelkin wrote:I just took a look at Rich's Twitter to see if there was any new news on the features which were supposed to come out, and noticed he posted that he left Ooma. I wonder if this is the proverbial "writing on the wall", now I'm nervous and wondering if I should return my Ooma while I can, or stick it out.

http://twitter.com/Richbuchanan

He left Sling Media a couple of years ago and they haven't shut the doors yet, but if you need a reason to panic I suppose any old reason will do.
#45898 by kelkin
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 pm
Groundhound wrote:
kelkin wrote:I just took a look at Rich's Twitter to see if there was any new news on the features which were supposed to come out, and noticed he posted that he left Ooma. I wonder if this is the proverbial "writing on the wall", now I'm nervous and wondering if I should return my Ooma while I can, or stick it out.

http://twitter.com/Richbuchanan

He left Sling Media a couple of years ago and they haven't shut the doors yet, but if you need a reason to panic I suppose any old reason will do.


I'm not looking for a reason to panic, they've found me. I've had nothing but problems since I purchased Ooma, purchased 2 handsets and had to replace the first one 3 times, the second one twice, frequently have problems with the system, customer service not delivering on promises to resolve issues or send replacement hardware, and the one contact I had at the executive level who promised to assist me with my issues hasn't responded to any of my messages. Considering I now have a $350 investment in the product, and was about to invest another $300, my perception is that these are warning signs and that's perfectly valid. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know because I would really love to see Ooma survive and continue with the service. If the writing is on the wall, then now is the time to get my $350 back while I can..
-Keith
#45899 by sfhub
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:28 pm
I think there is a reasonable chance Ooma will be around for a while.

However, I think if it will take over a year for you to recover your costs and you are the nervous type, you are probably better off returning the product if you still have the opportunity. I don't say this because I think Ooma will go away in the near term, but if you aren't happy with the product and are constantly worrying about the company, it will cause you stress and damper your overall experience.
#45904 by southsound
Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 pm
With Tami Bhaumik as Vice President of Corporate Marketing I don't think we have a thing to worry about. We still have Dennis Peng (Dennis P on the forums), Bobby Biswal, and a lot of other great people at ooma. I'm in for the long term. I think that Rich may have been disappointed by some contractual issues that have nothing to do with the stability of the company. Of course, this is just a guess. But I'm happy with my purchases and with the commitment to Lifetime Premier. Now if Dennis or Bobby left ooma, then I'd worry - BIG TIME!
#45956 by amoney
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:17 pm
sfhub wrote:I think there is a reasonable chance Ooma will be around for a while.

However, I think if it will take over a year for you to recover your costs and you are the nervous type, you are probably better off returning the product if you still have the opportunity. I don't say this because I think Ooma will go away in the near term, but if you aren't happy with the product and are constantly worrying about the company, it will cause you stress and damper your overall experience.


I agree, when I went to purchase 11/09 the Telo and 4 handsets, I quickly backed out of the handsets when I discovered the issues, if I would have received the handset, I would have been mightily pissed off. So I thought things over and decided to just get the Telo only. I purchased premier just for the enlightning fact I can vent to someone. Obviously email appears to be a black hole. So my investment I will break even rather soon.

I agree there are lots of issues to be concerned about, I think Ooma will be around at least for a little while longer, wether that is 1 yr or more who knows, the longer the better.

Of more value to me is that I finnaly took the plung into VOIP, I saw no savings with Vonage (lots of extra fees again), and I did not want to take my first leap with smaller SIP accounts. Ooma at least for my experience made it easy. My Comcast provider has a very competitive deal for 12mo, then the rate sky rockets, perhaps people can renegotiate. But again I am just glade I took the plung and what ever happens, happens, there are other options.

Back to the point about the large investment, its a valid concern, and a personal decision as far as the risk one wants to wager on.
#45998 by allo
Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:36 pm
southsound wrote:With Tami Bhaumik as Vice President of Corporate Marketing I don't think we have a thing to worry about. We still have Dennis Peng (Dennis P on the forums), Bobby Biswal, and a lot of other great people at ooma. I'm in for the long term. I think that Rich may have been disappointed by some contractual issues that have nothing to do with the stability of the company. Of course, this is just a guess. But I'm happy with my purchases and with the commitment to Lifetime Premier. Now if Dennis or Bobby left ooma, then I'd worry - BIG TIME!


I envy people who exhibit optimism even when the news are cause for concern.
Personally I can live with or without OOMA... but this latest development is not a good sign for Ooma's prospective customers if and when they find out!
May be Dennis, Bobby and the other good people at Ooma are stil there... but the man who was in charge is suddenly no longer there without any public announcement as usual... is not very encouraging for someone considering to buy their products!

This departure may be a sign of who really runs Ooma; and I doubt very much it has anything to do with personal "contractual issues"!!
Anybody following OOMA probably saw it coming with the latest developments at ooma in the last 3-4 months... the deployment of the Telo and the handset, and the way things turned out ... may not be cause for celebration for/at that company.
.
#46008 by amoney
Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm
I dont think prospective customers will give a hoot about the change. What currently is really upsetting customers are features that are not working. Generally the mass population returns such products to the stores. There are only so many technical savy customers that can tolerate a beta product. Ooma can not survive on those customers alone. At least I hope there not banking on that.
#46010 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:29 pm
allo wrote:... but the man who was in charge is suddenly no longer there without any public announcement as usual...

Just so there's no confusion, Eric Stang is still the CEO. As the CMO, Rich Buchanan was the most visible public face of Ooma but not the top dog. Of course you could make the argument that the VC's are really in charge.
#46028 by dsinternet
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 pm
I have been watching Ooma since late 2008 and got my first Ooma system (Telo) in November. I love this product and Ooma. What I really enjoy is seeing the updates that come out every month or so. Ooma works hard to update their products and are constantly trying to make them better. The Telo and the Telo handsets have come a long way since November 2009 and that was only 3 months ago. I can't wait to see what it will be like a year from now. I am sticking with Ooma and I showed it by getting a Lifetime Premier.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK OOMA, I will be here in bad times and good times. Right now I think times are GREAT! :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests