Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#45891 by pbernard
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:33 pm
My internet download speed varies from 9800 Kbps to less than 1 Megabyte, depending on what time of day it is. If I unplug my telephone back feed, which feeds my other house phones, I can always increase the speed, if it is low. My upload speed is also all over the map. Ooma has agreed to change out my telo, but I am not 100% sure this is the problem. If I plug a single phone into the back of the ooma, my download speeds are fast. Plug the feed line in, and I role the dice on speed. As mentioned, it can drag 90% slower, but sometimes, it is just fine. Does anyone have some suggestions?
#45909 by murphy
Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 am
Hub or Telo?
DSL, cable, FIOS?
Ooma before or after the router?

In other words tell in as much detail as possible how you are configured.
#46264 by pbernard
Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 am
Hello. I have a Telo. A cable modem, Ooma is before my router, i.e. my set-up is: Modem, ooma, router....I've tried setting it up after the router, but had no luck. Again, the time of day seems to affect my internet speed. Sometimes, it is fine, sometimes it slows down. When I unlplug my "back feed" telephone cable, it always speeds up my connection.
#46343 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm
Just curious - is your house wiring disconnected at the phone network interface?
#46645 by suzanne
Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm
I just hooked up the Ooma Telo today. The phone quality is great, but my internet sucks now. I can log on, it's very slow, it will disconnect.... I ended up removing Ooma. Any ideas what to do?
#46657 by Groundhound
Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm
suzanne wrote:I just hooked up the Ooma Telo today. The phone quality is great, but my internet sucks now. I can log on, it's very slow, it will disconnect.... I ended up removing Ooma. Any ideas what to do?

More details are needed before anyone can offer help. How did you have your Telo connected - before or after your router? What model is your modem and router? What ISP and service level do you have? Is the speed and disconnect noticed just while on a call? Do you use a cordless phone - if so what kind?
#46753 by pbernard
Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Yes. I dissconnected my house wiring years ago. The problem is continuing even after ooma sent me a new unit. My phones are Uniden 900Mhz phones, cordless. When I plug in a wired phone, everything is fine.
#46756 by Groundhound
Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 am
pbernard wrote:Yes. I dissconnected my house wiring years ago. The problem is continuing even after ooma sent me a new unit. My phones are Uniden 900Mhz phones, cordless. When I plug in a wired phone, everything is fine.

Strange. So to list the conditions:
- Wired phone plugged into Telo, speed is good?
- Uniden 900MHz base plugged into Telo, speed is slow?
- House wiring connected to Telo with no phones plugged in anywhere, speed is slow?
#46889 by pbernard
Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:25 am
You got it correct. And to make matters more complicated, my speed goes up and down. Sometimes, when the Uniden phones are plugged in, everything is fine. Other times, the speed drops, and to fix it, I unplug them and go with a wired phone. My speed instantly goes back up. I cannot put a finger on what is going on. I know speed from you ISP goes up and down, but the speed drop with the Uniden phones plugged in is dramatic.
#48343 by pbernard
Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 am
pbernard wrote:You got it correct. And to make matters more complicated, my speed goes up and down. Sometimes, when the Uniden phones are plugged in, everything is fine. Other times, the speed drops, and to fix it, I unplug them and go with a wired phone. My speed instantly goes back up. I cannot put a finger on what is going on. I know speed from you ISP goes up and down, but the speed drop with the Uniden phones plugged in is dramatic.

Nobody seems to have an answer as to why my internet speed goes up and down. Frustrating.