Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#44520 by stormtrooper
Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:26 pm
does anyone out there know how long it takes to get a number for your area, i was forced to get one about 30 miles from me and if i try to call a number in my actual local area it requires me to dial a 1 before area code. does anyone know how long it takes to get a area code in your area if none availabel and do i accure any additional fees when i have to dial a 1 first.
#44526 by amoney
Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm
Confusing...

Do you have a HUB or Telo.

In your my.ooma preferences do you have enable 10 digit dialing enabled?

No, there is no long distance charges in the USA.

---------------

I read that you can call and request a number in your area, I think people said 3 weeks to order.

You can possible get a throw away cell phone then PORT that number???
#44539 by ggilman
Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 am
As amoney says, your post seems a bit confusing but I'm going by my interpretation which may or may not help....

Part of the confusion: Required to dial 1? I assume you are really just meaning you need to dial area code because it is a different local calling area, though still in the same area code? You should be able to ignore the 1 and just dial area code + 7 digits anyway, but that's not the real issue here... Second issue: If a number does become available, you'd never get automatically changed. You'd have to make a request. They'd never know you'd want to change & for that matter, you'd never know one would be available.

Anyway, for the details & answers:

As amoney says, you won't be charged anything additional since all ooma calls in the US are free. It doesn't matter if you dial the (1 + area code + 7 digits) or just (area code + 7 digits) However, your neighbors may incur long distance charges by calling you.

If you already secured a phone # for your ooma device, you will not be granted a new one within your local calling area just because they become available. The normal route would be before you activate, call ooma support. They should be able to acquire numbers within your area within a relatively short time. After the fact, as you seem to be now, I'd still call them but I'm not certain if they'd charge you an additional fee to change numbers. Alternately, you can port in an existing phone # if you had an old landline you are no longer using or some other local phone #.
#44548 by fthomasson
Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 am
[quote= does anyone know how long it takes to get a area code in your area if none availabel and do i accure any additional fees when i have to dial a 1 first.[/quote]
This also happened to me. I also could not have my number ported. Our friends would have had to call us long distance. I let CS know I could not tolerate having my only phone number a long distance number in my local calling area. He didn't seem to appreciate my problem. I had decided to return my Ooma Telo but several days later I checked the porting page on My Ooma and there were two numbers in my local calling area that were not there previously. I had one of them assigned to me. Ooma must have bought them because of my complaint. Call CS and ask them to buy a number for you in your local calling area and keep checking the port page.
#44552 by Potts
Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 am
stormtrooper wrote:does anyone out there know how long it takes to get a number for your area, i was forced to get one about 30 miles from me and if i try to call a number in my actual local area it requires me to dial a 1 before area code. does anyone know how long it takes to get a area code in your area if none available and do i accrue any additional fees when i have to dial a 1 first.

It took about 3 weeks for Ooma to order a local number for me. Maybe the length of time was due to the fact it was near Christmas time. The ordered number I received works great, all features work.

You'll need to call CS and ask them to order you a local number. I believe I also emailed them to.