Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#43656 by drda42
Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 pm
I have had Ooma for about 5 weeks. For the first 2 weeks I used a new number provided by OOma - just wanting to make sure it would work well. It worked great and I had no internet problems during that time. I then began the process of porting my phone number to Ooma (my dsl is connected to a phone line but it is an entirely different line). Porting was complete on either Jan 21 or 22 (I wasn't home on the 21st which was the estimated date but it was done on the 22nd). On January 22nd I made a couple calls with OOma... no problems with connection or internet service. Then suddenly the light starting going red on the hub and I noticed my internet connection was going in and out (mostly out- never on long enough to make a call or do much else). The lights on my 2wire modem were going red most of the time. After some trial and error did nothing to help, I unplugged the power from my Ooma Hub. Within a few seconds, my internet connection came back up and stayed on for over 30 minutes while I left Ooma unplugged. I plugged Ooma back in and again, within seconds, my connection went out. I tried this a couple more times with the exact same results. I needed to do some work so I have left the Ooma unplugged most of the time for the past few two days and I have never lost my connection. I want to stress that I left the Ooma plugged in at all times for over 4 weeks prior to my number porting being completed and I never had one minute of problem with Ooma or my internet connection. I don't know if it is coincidence but this problem starting happening within 24 hours (at most ) of the completion of the number porting...

Please help.. any suggestions would be appreciated.
#43677 by tommies
Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm
Does your hub is intergrated with your land line? Does your land line is plugged into the hub WALL port? Second, what is your setup: modem>ooma>router or modem>router>ooma ?
#43681 by heath
Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm
Dont think this is related to the port.

my config is modem>ooma hub>router>printer,computer,laptop,wii,directv,bluray

This last week my internet service was spotty. lots of red x es where there should have been pics. called my isp since i thought it was their fault. they did tests. checked setings. pinged my modem. and said all looked fine.

so i went and unplugged/replugged the router and ooma hub for a reset. didnt help. then decided to remove the ooma hub from the chain. BOOM all is good. go up and reattach the hub - spotty internet. its not totally gone, but very slow and lots of couldnt connect errors. again, this seemed to start about mid week.

Could this be related to the recent outage or a firmware update? I like the service , but right now its unplugged and im on cell. any ideas????

Thx
#43692 by murphy
Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 am
Which device has your DSL user ID and password entered into it?
If it's the modem, then never mind.
However if it's the router, when you place ooma ahead of the router you have to put the DSL user ID and password in the ooma and change the router to DHCP mode instead of pppoe mode.
#43693 by drda42
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:28 am
My Ooma hub is plugged directly into an open port on my modem. We have a modem, router and a switch. The Ooma is plugged into the modem and not "in the line" with any of the rest. My landline is not integrated with my Ooma. It is a separate line altogether that I used for my fax machine (and my dsl runs through that line). The ported-number line was separate. I am not using the scout right now so nothing is plugged into the Wall port on the hub. This setup has been the same way consistently since I got the service 5 weeks ago. Didn't change a thing and it all worked perfectly until the last week (which just happen to coincide with the porting of my phone number).

I seem to have the same problem as heath. It is consistent that if I plug the hub back in my 2wire lights start blinking red and dsl service goes out. If I unplug the ooma hub, dsl service works perfectly. I have repeated this so many times.. it is not a fluke. I don't know what to do and I don't know why it would have just started happening suddenly.

I also called AT&T, they checked the signal coming in and said it was fine. No outages in my area, etc (and that seems to be true since I have been getting a good dsl signal for 2 days as long as my ooma hub isn't powerd up). I was using this as my home business phone line so I need to figure it out as quickly as possible. I use my cell for my business more often but my clients have the "office" number too so I would like to get it back on....

FYI, I have premier service also. I thought I would call Ooma support today and see if they have any idea about why this is happening.
#43695 by DougInAZ
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 am
I've had a similar problem with my setup, although I'm using a cable modem instead. This is the first time I've read about a DSL user having the problem, but it sounds similar to my experience and two other ooma/cable modem users that I've followed on this forum.

In 3 out of 3 cases, the replacing the modem was the suggestion after a lot of thrashing around. In 1 case, swapping the cable modem did the trick, quickly and sbsolutely. In my case, i've gone almost 3 days without an outage after swapping modems with a neighbor. In two of the cases I'm familar with, the setup had been trouble free before ooma was added.

I spent a some time working with techs from my ISP at DSLReports.com and they added some perspective that I didn't get from my local ISP support, including which modems have a history of disconnect problems (where ooma isn't involved). In all cases, I'm sure having the latest firmware in the modem is an item to check. If you can't find a definite problem, try a different brand of modem.
#43696 by heath
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:12 am
In all honesty my internet connection is a wireless broadband radio. I live where cable/dsl is not available. I live about a mile from the tower and the techs say i get a signal strength as good as they have ever seen (iirc it was about -40db). I can game online across the globe and have no problems. the service has worked adequately for 6 months this way, but suddenly it is interfering with my internet.

There is a radio transmitter/receiver mounted to the side of my house that aims at the tower. a cat 5 cable connects that directly to a "modem" in my central wiring closet. The modem is about the size of a zippo lighter and has a cat 5 in from the radio, a cat 5 out to the ooma hub, and a wire that plugs into the wall via an ac/dc transformer. It may not be a modem - it may just be providing power to the radio which acts as the modem.

I read recently on the boards here that ooma has updated firmware in some of the hubs. im wondering if that could be the cause? not sure if mine has been updated but ill check and post back soon. The long and short is that if the hub is put inline my internet connection goes to crap. once removed its good.

Thoughts???
#43703 by Groundhound
Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 am
heath wrote:Dont think this is related to the port.

my config is modem>ooma hub>router>printer,computer,laptop,wii,directv,bluray

This last week my internet service was spotty. lots of red x es where there should have been pics. called my isp since i thought it was their fault. they did tests. checked setings. pinged my modem. and said all looked fine.

so i went and unplugged/replugged the router and ooma hub for a reset. didnt help. then decided to remove the ooma hub from the chain. BOOM all is good. go up and reattach the hub - spotty internet. its not totally gone, but very slow and lots of couldnt connect errors. again, this seemed to start about mid week.

Could this be related to the recent outage or a firmware update? I like the service , but right now its unplugged and im on cell. any ideas????

Thx

Kind of a shot in the dark, but you could try placing the IP that your Ooma Hub assigns to your router into the Ooma Hub's DMZ. From a security standpoint this should expose your router to the Internet. So Ooma always assigns the same IP to your router you would want to limit the DHCP range to one IP, so you would make the following change in http://setup.ooma.com, click update, and then reboot your router:
DHCP_DMZ.jpg
DHCP_DMZ.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
#43705 by drda42
Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 am
I switched my configuration and everything is working right now. I plugged the Ooma hub into an open port on my d-link switch instead of plugging it directly into the modem. It's strange to me that the other setup worked for 4 weeks and then stopped. If this setup quits working I'll be back for more suggestions. I'll update the forum on this in another day or so either way.