Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#43628 by blacknumberone
Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:41 pm
Now that it's January 2010, question is do I still pay the $11.75 annual regulatory recovery fee if I buy a new (never been activated) Ooma Hub (not from Costco)? Or did you have to activate the Hub before 2010 so you will not be subject to the annual regulatory recovery fee?... (I know the Ooma Telo has the annual fee either way, unless you are a previous Hub owner who moved your account to the new Telo)
Thanks
#43630 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm
The distinction isn't between Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo, it is between Ooma Core (the bundled Hub+Scout) product vs the Ooma Telo and the standalone Ooma Hub.

Ooma Core was the earlier product Ooma came out with. It had certain advertised features and terms on the box and literature. Ooma later on decided to change their terms&conditions but since Ooma Core was already out there with box and literature mentioning different terms, Ooma decided to do the right thing and honor those original terms for the Ooma Core products for the person who first activates a unit, regardless of when they activate. After the initial activation, if you switch owners, then the new owner falls under the new terms and conditions.

The Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo products came out after the terms & conditions changed and the boxing and literature mention the fee and that is why they are charged, regardless of when they activate.

I believe the 2010 deadline was to get Premiere under the old $99/yr rate and/or to get the lifetime Premiere buyout option for $350. Those are no longer available.

Please note, buying Ooma Hub (standalone) and adding Ooma Scout (standalone) does not equal Ooma Core for the purposes of the regulatory fee.
Last edited by sfhub on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#43639 by bw1
Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:21 am
sfhub wrote:The distinction isn't between Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo, it is between Ooma Core (the bundled Hub+Scout) product vs the Ooma Telo and the standalone Ooma Hub.

Ooma Core was the first product Ooma came out with. It had certain advertised features and terms on the box and literature. Ooma later on decided to change their terms&conditions but since Ooma Core was already out there with box and literature mentioning different terms, Ooma decided to do the right thing and honor those original terms for the Ooma Core products for the person who first activates a unit, regardless of when they activate. After the initial activation, if you switch owners, then the new owner falls under the new terms and conditions.

The Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo products came out after the terms & conditions changed and the boxing and literature mention the fee and that is why they are charged, regardless of when they activate.

I believe the 2010 deadline was to get Premiere under the old $99/yr rate and/or to get the lifetime Premiere buyout option for $350. Those are no longer available.

Please note, buying Ooma Hub (standalone) and adding Ooma Scout (standalone) does not equal Ooma Core for the purposes of the regulatory fee.

This is correct. I will just add that we don't know if Ooma will continue producing and selling the Ooma Core (hub & scout combo) or if the existing stock is all that's available at retailers. If they continue to produce and sell it, they may, at some point, change the terms printed on the boxes to match the terms of the Telo.

Also, based on the Terms & Conditions on the Ooma website, https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions, they can be changed at any time. Just an FYI.
#43704 by ggilman
Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 am
blacknumberone wrote:So if I understand the above posts; if I buy a Ooma Core today (not the Ooma Hub), and activate it in the next few days I will not be charged the annual regulatory fee, is my understanding correct?

Thanks for the replies!

Yes. Other than the disclaimer as posted above that ooma deserves the right to change their terms & conditions at any time.
#43708 by sfhub
Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 am
Good caveat.

My guess is the existing Ooma Core inventory is all you are going to see and going forward they are going to push Ooma Telo. From what Ooma has said, they have implied they are very sparingly doing any development on Ooma Hub and they mentioned a wireless Scout-like device for Telo is in the works.

Given the totally confusing communication Ooma had with the change in T&C, the $11.75 regulatory, the change from $99 to $119 premier, voicemail in/out, etc. I think they will try to avoid any more confusion that changing the terms on the Ooma Core would entail.

The blog entry here is already starting to look like source code only a developer could understand. :)
https://www.ooma.com/blog/how-oomas-term ... customers/
#45503 by amoney
Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:34 pm
blacknumberone wrote:Is this the correct Ooma part number for the "Ooma Core"?: 100-0103-101
The unit without the recovery fee, and with Caller "name" ID with the free service?

Thanks!

Not sure, but if its the HUB and SCOUT bundled together, then yes.