Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#43469 by sashusmom
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 pm
Hi to all ooma users!!
Just got my system up and running. :D Very easy to do. I was just wondering if my husband wanted a dedicated line for his fax machine is it possible to run 2 separate independent ooma hubs( essentially 2 accounts) off of one modem? or is there a better way to do it? Right now he has his own att account and the house had cable co. phone, now ooma phone. He would need to port the number over. We don't want to interfere with the automatic sending and receiving of faxes and I don't want interference with the house number. I started the Ooma account with a new number. Can I still port a number or is the opportunity lost since my ooma hub is registered with a new number? My other option is to split the cable and then use the Ooma telo for the second system. I understand this has a modem built in? :?: Any help would be appreciated. His most important concern is to keep the same number for the fax line.
#43478 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 pm
sashusmom wrote:Hi to all ooma users!!
Just got my system up and running. :D Very easy to do. I was just wondering if my husband wanted a dedicated line for his fax machine is it possible to run 2 separate independent ooma hubs( essentially 2 accounts) off of one modem? or is there a better way to do it? Right now he has his own att account and the house had cable co. phone, now ooma phone. He would need to port the number over. We don't want to interfere with the automatic sending and receiving of faxes and I don't want interference with the house number. I started the Ooma account with a new number. Can I still port a number or is the opportunity lost since my ooma hub is registered with a new number? My other option is to split the cable and then use the Ooma telo for the second system. I understand this has a modem built in? :?: Any help would be appreciated. His most important concern is to keep the same number for the fax line.

Welcome to the Ooma Forums, sashusmom.
You can run two accounts off of one Internet connection; the best way to do it is have both Ooma Hubs or Telos behind your router so the router can control QoS priorities for both. You can have a second line as part of Premier that may work for you instead of two separate accounts, but the fax line would be the one you would connect directly to the Hub or Telo, and your voice line would be connected to a Scout (for the Hub) or a Telo Handset (for Telo). You can port a number over to Ooma at any time, if you subscribe to Premier for a year the cost of the port is included.
The Telo does not have a built-in modem.
#51408 by sashusmom
Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 am
Thank you Groundhog for great info.

So far, We have been independent of cable co. phone for about a week. I finally got whole house distribution working and am using the scout for the second line thru wall to wall port connections to the hub. Unfortunately now both answering machines are on the 2nd floor in the computer room. That's where our modem is located. So to check messages we have to go upstairs instead of just walking into the kitchen (not too convenient). Or check on the computer downstairs thru my ooma site. This is probably more convenient for me. Either way it is a great trade off for not having a phone bill!! Well worth it. :D

We haven't attempted switching over the fax yet. That's still a dedicated ATT line. I'm curious to hear if anyone out there has any experience with having their hub as a fax line and running their phone off the scout. Does it really affect line quality??
Right now my mom thinks line quality is better now than on cable system.
#51411 by murphy
Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 am
sashusmom wrote:Thank you Groundhog for great info.

So far, We have been independent of cable co. phone for about a week. I finally got whole house distribution working and am using the scout for the second line thru wall to wall port connections to the hub. Unfortunately now both answering machines are on the 2nd floor in the computer room. That's where our modem is located. So to check messages we have to go upstairs instead of just walking into the kitchen (not too convenient). Or check on the computer downstairs thru my ooma site. This is probably more convenient for me. Either way it is a great trade off for not having a phone bill!! Well worth it. :D

We haven't attempted switching over the fax yet. That's still a dedicated ATT line. I'm curious to hear if anyone out there has any experience with having their hub as a fax line and running their phone off the scout. Does it really affect line quality??
Right now my mom thinks line quality is better now than on cable system.

You can dial your own phone number to check for messages.
Also many phones have a built in message waiting indicator. I have three desk phones that have that feature. The message waiting light on the phone blinks when I have unheard messages.
#51414 by sashusmom
Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:04 pm
Hi Murphy-
Since ooma is now taking over messages I don't think the phones indicator lights with work since the base phone answering machine is no longer picking up messages. But I didn't realize you can call your own number and pick up the messages. Thanks for that tip! ;) And it really works..no more busy signals when you call yourself. Hahaha!!
#51428 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 pm
What murphy is talking about is the voice mail indicator for messages left at the service provider (in this case ooma). Many newer phone systems have this feature which has separate indicators for those vs for the messages left on built-in answering machine.

As for the location of your Hub, if you combine the HPNA signal (wall port) and the dialtone (phone port) before feeding back to your wall jack, you can plug your Hub anywhere in your house and it would work. So, that's an option for you too.