Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#2485 by songjc
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:47 pm
I have Verizon landline and Vonage (VoIP). What is the best way to convert both line to ooma. I have applied convertion of Vonage to ooma to see how ooma perform. If ooma performs well, I am ready to go with ooma. I have 2-line cordless phone which I have 5 hadnsets that I would like to continue to use. Should I get 2 ooma hub or just activate scout and add the sencond number and convert my Verizon landline numbers to second assigned scout number. As long as two person in my family can speak to two separate parties using my Siemens 2-lines cordless phone, I am good to go with ooma. Please recommend me your solution. My ISP is providing me 5 public IP addresses; therefore, I have Vonage and ooma plugged in same time and receiving Vonage number through ooma.
#2493 by murphy
Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm
Set a scout on the table next to the hub. Connect the scout to the hub (wall jack to wall jack). Configure the scout in the lounge to have one of the numbers assigned to it in non-shared mode. Connect the phone jack of the hub to line 1 of your two line phone and connect the phone jack of the scout to line 2 of your two line phone. I have done exactly this and it works fine. I can call out on either number by picking the proper line on the two line phone. Likewise incoming calls go to the proper line on the two line phone.
#2498 by songjc
Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 pm
Thank you Murphy! So, make hub and scout to be independent. What about my 2nd existing phone number? Just get a new number for my scout and request to convert?
Can ooma handle home burglar and fire alarm notification? My Verizon landline is currently hooked up to my home alarm system and I am concern because ooma is not supporting DVR and Tivo. Any recommendation?
#2500 by murphy
Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 am
I don't know the procedure for porting your second number to the scout. I got a new number for the scout.
I would not put your alarm system on ooma or any other VOIP system. Mine is still on a minimum Verizon line with budget service. No long distance, no regional dialing, local area only dialing for message unit charges and no extra cost features. That's not important since my alarm number is an 800 number.
I've been told I could connect the alarm panel with a cellular dialer for about the same price as the budget Verizon line (about $15) but I haven't checked it out.
I have tried to connect using ooma with my ancient (9 years old) Panasonic DVR and it doesn't work. It did work most of the time with Vonage but my need for this unit is about over so it's not a problem.
#2509 by songjc
Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:46 pm
Murphy,
Looks like I need to keep my land line...
Checked with my Alarm company and they have Radio signal for $15.00 per month. Checked with Verizon, $18.00 per month for "measure line".
So, how do I hook up so that I will have 2 ooma line and 1 Verizon line for emergency? Yes, I will need hook up UPS for all my wireless phones and ooma.
Do you think Vonage is better than ooma?
#2530 by murphy
Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 am
Vonage is not better or worse than ooma. It's just more expensive. Two limited lines (500 minutes per month each) costs me $40 per month. That's $480 per year. ooma with premium will cost $350 the first year and $100 per year from then on. If you get the "unlimited" package for each line on Vonage it's even more expensive. I've never had that but would estimate about $60 per month for two lines.

The Verizon line goes first to the alarm panel and then to any phones that you want to have available for emergency use.

The easiest way to handle the two ooma lines is with a 2 line cordless system with multiple handsets. Second best is two single line cordless phones with multiple handsets. I have the two line system. The ooma has no connection to the house wiring. The scout and ooma are side by side with their wall jacks connected together. The phone port from the hub drives line 1 and the phone port from the scout drives line 2. The scout is set to nonshared in the lounge.