Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42833 by EDog
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm
Is there a way to test 911 service? I'm getting my number ported this week and think it would be prudent to test it. Not interested in calling in a fake emergency, or calling 911 asking "how are you today, do you know where I'm calling from?"
#42841 by daet
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 am
EDog wrote:Is there a way to test 911 service? I'm getting my number ported this week and think it would be prudent to test it. Not interested in calling in a fake emergency, or calling 911 asking "how are you today, do you know where I'm calling from?"

I live in an unincorporated township, so I called my local sheriff's office, that is also the 911 dispatch, got their permission to call 911 to test my VoIP connection. Then I called 911 and explained to the operator that I had obtained permission to call (which she seemed to know). She then confirmed that my address was correct.

You can probably do something similar - except it may be a police department that you call first .....

DG
#42864 by joeed2
Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 am
To bad we can't call 311 on Ooma... Currently a features request.

You could call 311 (local non-emergency city/county police and goverment services questions) and ask them that question. They would be able to help you with that.
#52587 by penberth
Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:53 pm
I did the same thing as someone on here posted. I called my local Sheriff's office and asked how to test 911. She said to hang up and call 911. I asked if this was ok. She said as long as I explained what I was doing, and stayed on the line to verify my info, it was ok. So I just did that, and all information was verified and correct.

I have been meaning to test this for a while, and was glad to do it. :cool: