Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#10 by Kort
Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:46 am
I am trying to set up an Airport Extreme on the computer (macMini) that shares my ooma system and cable internet connection. So far I have not been able to get it to work. Either the airport works and I lose internet/phone, or the phone/internet works, and I can't use the airport.

Anyone set up something similar and have some thoughts?
Thanks.
#14 by Bobby B
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 pm
Hi Kort,

I've had some experience setting up an airport extreme from a computer connected behind the ooma Hub. How is the airport connected in your home network -- is it connected directly to your Internet cable modem? Does it look something like:

(Airport Extreme) -- (ooma Hub) -- (macMini)

-Bobby
#1001 by Kort
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 am
I've tried a few configurations, including that one, and I've not gotten my airport to work yet. Ugh. For some reason the airport, cable modem and ooma system just don't want to play together. I'd really like to be able to get this to work though, it is very frustrating not having a wireless network at home.
#1240 by lshahs
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:42 pm
Below is my setup:

Cable Modem - Connected to Ooma Unit - Home
Airport Extreme N - Connected to Ooma Unit
Vonage Router - Connected to Airport Extreme N

All my wireless and everything works just perfect. I can connect using my Vonage service no problems. Wireless works with no issues and no loss of speed.

But my problem comes in when I actually use the phone connected to the Ooma Unit. As soon as the phone dials out (or I get an incoming call) , I loose my wireless connection. I cannot get it back until I hang up the phone.

This pretty much makes my Unit not usable since I have multiple things running off my wireless connection. Any ideas?
#20479 by Kort
Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:06 pm
Hi Bobby, I've decided to revisit my wireless network issue. I'm tired of not having a connection on my other Mac and have the AirPort Extreme used basically as a $200 paperweight. FWIW, I am using a Dect6 phone now.

Any tips on the setup? Any new insights on this?

I was thinking of trying this sequence Cable Modem > Airport > Ooma
I shouldn't need to connect the modem in a wired manner to the modem if I have the Airport working, right?

Thanks in advance.
#20520 by hackerguy
Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:43 pm
I am using Ooma with an Airport Extreme and it works great. My configuration is WebStar Modem -> Ooma Hub -> Airport Extreme. My PC is connected to the Airport by Ethernet and my MacBook Pro by a wireless connection. My internet provider is Comcast. I have been using Ooma since May and have never had a problem of any kind. I ported my number from AT&T and disconnected my landline at the junction box outside the house. I love my Ooma and wouldn't trade it for anything.
#20589 by Kort
Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:59 am
Thanks hackeryguy.

I'm really not sure why I've had such a problem getting it working, I'll try using your config. I love my Ooma too. :)

hackerguy wrote:I am using Ooma with an Airport Extreme and it works great. My configuration is WebStar Modem -> Ooma Hub -> Airport Extreme. My PC is connected to the Airport by Ethernet and my MacBook Pro by a wireless connection. My internet provider is Comcast. I have been using Ooma since May and have never had a problem of any kind. I ported my number from AT&T and disconnected my landline at the junction box outside the house. I love my Ooma and wouldn't trade it for anything.
#20732 by Kort
Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:28 am
Good news.

I finally got the AE working and my wireless network set-up (mostly). I had to update the firmware to the base station and that seemed to be the key. At first it would not let me create a secure network, but I later put in a password and it still worked so that's good. I wasn't able to get the macMini to recognize the wireless connection, but perhaps there is another setting somewhere I'm missing so I'll look into that later. I'm just glad to have my iMac in the other room now internet accessible. And the hub is all glowy blue light so I'm assuming my phone is working too.

Thanks for the config tips hackerguy. :)