Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42414 by geniv
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm
ok I got my ooma activated probably like 8 months ago and used it for about a week. and haven't use it since.
I remember when I activiated it I was on the free OOMa premiere status.
now it's expred and it core. (not sure that have anything to do with it)

anyway. when I had it hooked up last time I plug it to one of the ports on my router and it worked fine.

but recently about a month ago I power the ooma back on and now my phone don't work no more. I get 4 red lights on the hub (the white one) the red lights are on the 1,2,trash,mail buttons.

I know I changed my IP a few times (I do it quite alot). I wonder if that have anything to do with it..

is there anyway I can get my OOMA back working again? I would like it to work off the back of my router like my other network devices like how it was before.
#42418 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 pm
Your account looks fine - if the trash and envelope buttons are lit up there may be a problem with your network connection. I'm not sure what you mean by "I know I changed my IP a few times (I do it quite alot)" - are you running DHCP on your router or static IPs?

If possible, try connecting a computer to the HOME port of the Hub. Next browse to setup.ooma.com and look under the status screen or the ports screen to verify that your MODEM port is getting the proper IP address.
#42420 by geniv
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 pm
Bobby B wrote:Your account looks fine - if the trash and envelope buttons are lit up there may be a problem with your network connection. I'm not sure what you mean by "I know I changed my IP a few times (I do it quite alot)" - are you running DHCP on your router or static IPs?

If possible, try connecting a computer to the HOME port of the Hub. Next browse to setup.ooma.com and look under the status screen or the ports screen to verify that your MODEM port is getting the proper IP address.

I have 30mbps/5mbps download/upload cable internet service. and sometimes I power off my cable modem when not in use (away for a few days or staying at my GF for a while/business trip) and when I power it up again my ISP gives me a new IP for internet access/gateway that's what I mean by changing IP.

I got 4 or 5 devices connected to my router for internet access. my router assigns all the internal/local network IPs 192.168.0.xxx.

anyway I do not want the OOMA infront of the router or any PC.
Normally suggested way is: cable modem -> Ooma -> router -> pcs and network devices.
the way I want and had it is: cable modem -> router -> ooma/pcs/network devices.

reason is if I have the OOMA before my router my internet speed never go above 20mbps download so it effectly cut my bandwidth by 33% even if the ooma is not being used.
#42422 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm
When you have your Ooma system plugged into your router - is the Hub MODEM port getting an IP address in the 192.168.0.X network?

geniv wrote:I got 4 or 5 devices connected to my router for internet access. my router assigns all the internal/local network IPs 192.168.0.xxx.
#42426 by Davesworld
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:48 pm
I somehow never thought that an Ooma device could throughput much more than that and I'm glad someone finally brought it up because it IS an issue. I think the reason for the preferred hookup method is because it is assumed that people have one computer hooked to a modem. Never be fooled by a device's 10/100 nic, that's only the line speed and tells you absolutely nothing about actual throughput. Even many small firewall/routers cannot do more than 16mbs through the firewall but I'm sure many in the under 200 dollar category now will do 30mbs or so, it has to have SOME power to be able to pass that much traffic through a firewall. I prefer hardware that is powerful enough to throughput more than the nics can through the firewall with stateful packet inspection. Best if your isp bandwidth is the only limiting factor, not your local hardware.
#42455 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:04 pm
Davesworld wrote:I somehow never thought that an Ooma device could throughput much more than that and I'm glad someone finally brought it up because it IS an issue. I think the reason for the preferred hookup method is because it is assumed that people have one computer hooked to a modem. Never be fooled by a device's 10/100 nic, that's only the line speed and tells you absolutely nothing about actual throughput. Even many small firewall/routers cannot do more than 16mbs through the firewall but I'm sure many in the under 200 dollar category now will do 30mbs or so, it has to have SOME power to be able to pass that much traffic through a firewall. I prefer hardware that is powerful enough to throughput more than the nics can through the firewall with stateful packet inspection. Best if your isp bandwidth is the only limiting factor, not your local hardware.

Yeah, buyer beware, even those slick home NAS devices that advertise gigabyte ports are not accurate, and can barely put out 10.

Additionally, even 100 Mb LAN's dont even see that performance even if your talking 2 computers, the thoughput is normally half that do to all the network overhead etc.

30 down is nice, my local area is also offering that for a tad more in cost, but I wonder how often I would see those bandwith speeds from webservers (that are not limited).
#42457 by geniv
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:16 pm
thanks for all the help guys..

it seems I flucked up..

I don't know how but the network cable from my router was plugged into the "home" port instead of "modem" port of the ooma.

I switched it and blue light came on but it still didn't work. then I found out my phone splitter was loose...
must be when I was rewiring some of the cables..

ohh well it all seems to be working now.