Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42368 by teacup775
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:57 am
About a month ago, I received what I thought was a confirmation that my land line was ported. However, I find I am still getting bills from ATT. After calling them, they informed me they had no record of a transfer and after calling ooma customer service, apparently the transfer failed because the phone account's "pin" was incorrect.

Putting aside the minor irritation of a more than misleading confirmation notice from ooma, what the heck is a pin number for a _land_line_ account supposed to be? I have an ATT bill with an account number for a land line, not an internet account. And I don't rightly recall being asked for a pin or password in the porting request form. It also would have been nice to be informed that the port had failed.

What the darn-heck am I supposed to supply in order to resolve this problem?
#42374 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 am
Two thoughts pop to mind.

1) You said "thought was a confirmation" ... was it just the email telling you that the port was scheduled?
2) Did the port actually complete at some point, meaning, do calls to that number get routed through your landline, or does ooma handle them now? If your calls are coming via ooma, then AT&T has no excuse for not shutting down billing on that line. They would, of course, bill you for the final billing cycle.

At first blush, it sounds like AT&T messed up somewhere here, but honestly, I'm not sure. It is strongly recommended around here though, that after you believe your port is complete, follow up with your previous landline provider to be SURE anyway. Your case sounds to me like the perfect reason "why" people should do that!

As for the PIN issue, wow, that's a new one to me. Maybe you have anti-slamming protection turned on for your account, and they're referring to that?
#42393 by Potts
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 pm
I believe the Pin no# you refer to is located on your AT&T billing statement. Upper right corner. Its the last 4 digits, behind your account no# .

When I did the port, I filled out the loa forms and emailed them a copy of the AT&T phone bill as requested by Ooma. The loa notification was sent email by Ooma.

My thought are what process did you take in porting?
#42445 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm
Potts wrote:I believe the Pin no# you refer to is located on your AT&T billing statement. Upper right corner. Its the last 4 digits, behind your account no# .

When I did the port, I filled out the loa forms and emailed them a copy of the AT&T phone bill as requested by Ooma. The loa notification was sent email by Ooma.

My thought are what process did you take in porting?

Yes the PIN is exactly that.

When I did the PORT this past December, although I had read everywhere about mailing in a copy of LOA, on the web request for there were no instructions, and I never read any hint of a copy of your phone bill although sounds logical.

My landline was also through ATT (southeast coast). And the PORT went off with out a hitch. I received email follow ups from Ooma.

Bottom line a number PORT can be difficult, and its not entirely in Ooma's control.
#42451 by Potts
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm
Ooma email's are very clear and to the point for porting. The loa's are sent in the email, they must be filled out correctly and returned with a copy of a phone bill, by fax or email. I only had a land line no dsl.

My land line became DEAD on the day of port. I tested this by pluging in a phone to the wall outlet.