Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42234 by teloooma2
Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:50 pm
Can you make a call using a land line via Telo?
I mean the ability to select for dialing a land line attached to Telo and using this same receiver.

My goal is to have ooma service on line 1 and selectively available line 2 (land line). ;)
#42290 by bw1
Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am
teloooma2 wrote:Can you make a call using a land line via Telo?
I mean the ability to select for dialing a land line attached to Telo and using this same receiver.

My goal is to have ooma service on line 1 and selectively available line 2 (land line). ;)

If you integrate your landline with the Telo, then all all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

There is no way to select which service the Telo uses.

In order to do what you want, you would need to keep the landline and Ooma service separate and connect different phones to each.
#42360 by teloooma2
Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 am
BW1, ---- actually, it does not seam to work you described.
I have a landline attached to Telo. With this setup the Telo perfectly receives local calls via ooma service as well, I can make a calls using the ooma service. No cables flipping in Telo ports required to do it.
Also, I can receive calls from the landline via Telo. The only problem I have is, I would like to make phone call using landline on demand. At current setup, I have a separate phone unit attached to landline. But, my goal is to be able to use the phones attached to Telo phone port. The reason is pretty obvious. I would like to have only one telephone network and be able to make phone calls using selectively both systems.

The one way to to it is to have a mechanical DPDT switch to flip the lines between the Telo phone port and the attached phones or simply flip the cables. However, I am looking for a cleaner approach. I am curious if the Telo unit has such a capability to do it by bushing a button o it. ;)
#42366 by bw1
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am
I've never tried or tested any Ooma device with an integrated landline. My only knowledge is from what I've read here.

Note that an integrated landline is configured when you activate your Ooma device and select to use your existing landline service and phone number with Ooma. In this case, you will not select a phone number from Ooma at the time of activation.

I have connected my landline to my Ooma Hub when I first bought and setup Ooma. The connection was made from a wall jack to the wall port on the Hub. I didn't integrate the landline. I selected a phone number from Ooma.

What I experienced was that all calls would go through the Ooma Hub and I would hear the Ooma dialtone and Ooma connection tone (before I disabled it). I couldn't answer incoming calls on the landline from the phone attached to the Hub. I had to use a separate phone connected to a wall jack in the house.

If the internet connection or power to the Hub failed, then the phones connected to the phone port on the Hub would automatically switch over connection to the landline connected to the wall port on the Hub.

My understanding is that the Telo is not able to automatically make this switch when power is removed to the Telo, only when the internet connection fails.

So how do you have your Telo configured - with an integrated landline or just with the landline connected to the wall port?
Do you hear the Ooma dialtone when you pick up a phone connected to the Telo phone port?

As far as I know there is no automatic push button way to do what you want.

Most users here who keep their landlines, keep them separate with separate phones attached to each.
#42369 by ntoy
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 am
Hello teloooma2,

Your account shows that your number was ported over to Ooma. Therefore, there is no dependency on a landline. Your telo now has nonlandline configuration. If you have an additional landline, plugging in the landline to the wall port will only work when there is no power going to the telo. This would be a pass through to your landline.
#42370 by WayneDsr
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 am
bw1 wrote:I've never tried or tested any Ooma device with an integrated landline. My only knowledge is from what I've read here.

Note that an integrated landline is configured when you activate your Ooma device and select to use your existing landline service and phone number with Ooma. In this case, you will not select a phone number from Ooma at the time of activation.

I have connected my landline to my Ooma Hub when I first bought and setup Ooma. The connection was made from a wall jack to the wall port on the Hub. I didn't integrate the landline. I selected a phone number from Ooma.

What I experienced was that all calls would go through the Ooma Hub and I would hear the Ooma dialtone and Ooma connection tone (before I disabled it). I couldn't answer incoming calls on the landline from the phone attached to the Hub. I had to use a separate phone connected to a wall jack in the house.

If the internet connection or power to the Hub failed, then the phones connected to the phone port on the Hub would automatically switch over connection to the landline connected to the wall port on the Hub.

My understanding is that the Telo is not able to automatically make this switch when power is removed to the Telo, only when the internet connection fails.

So how do you have your Telo configured - with an integrated landline or just with the landline connected to the wall port?
Do you hear the Ooma dialtone when you pick up a phone connected to the Telo phone port?

As far as I know there is no automatic push button way to do what you want.

Most users here who keep their landlines, keep them separate with separate phones attached to each.

I have my landline integrated with the Telo and your description is accurate.
You can get a second Ooma number, but all calls going out will use the integrated landline. There's no way to use both at the same time, such as a line one and a line 2.

Wayne
#42371 by WayneDsr
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 am
ntoy wrote:Hello teloooma2,

Your account shows that your number was ported over to Ooma. Therefore, there is no dependency on a landline. Your telo now has nonlandline configuration. If you have an additional landline, plugging in the landline to the wall port will only work when there is no power going to the telo. This would be a pass through to your landline.

Not quite true. If you have a landline plugged into the Telo, and the Telo loses power it will NOT pass trough to the landline as the Hub did.

Wayne
#42372 by ntoy
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 am
Hello,

Yes Wayne is correct. Currently an open bug not allowing Landline to pass through