Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#41890 by caseybea
Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 am
Does anyone know how many Ooma users (customers) there are at present? Round numbers? A guess? Informed?
#41895 by hpepper
Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54 pm
I think you will have a hard time getting accurate numbers - I believe that is a closely guarded secret with Ooma. I have seen many guesses as to how many are needed to keep afloat or how many based on calculations of sales at retail orgs and estimated of how many they expected to sell in 2009 and such but have never seen any real feedback from Ooma indicating any numbers.

I have just stopped trying to guess or find out and now just appreciate my free dial-tone and high quality Ooma service.
#41896 by southsound
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 pm
We could count off - I have both a hub/scout and a Telo so,

1, 2...
#41899 by caseybea
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm
The reason for my query is really a matter of curiosity. How 'healthy' is the company? How fast are Ooma boxes flying off the shelves? And so on. A healthy Ooma company means happy us as customers - that is, the dial tone still goes on. :-)
#41904 by highq
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm
Click on Members on the Forum index page. Then make a guess as to what percentage of Ooma users/owners would also be members of the Ooma Forums.
#41905 by hpepper
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm
highq wrote:Click on Members on the Forum index page. Then make a guess as to what percentage of Ooma users/owners would also be members of the Ooma Forums.

That's what i mean - it's still a big guess. I imagine many users don't sign up to the forums.

I would love to know myself how many, but don't think it's going to happen.
#41913 by allo
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 pm
caseybea wrote:Does anyone know how many Ooma users (customers) there are at present? Round numbers? A guess? Informed?

WHO wants to know!?
Sorry... it is a State Secret!...

OK! OK! since you insist...
There are about 7,000 Forum Members ... and since on average only 1 in 4 members become vocal (Forum members) it is easy to calculate.... if you still can't calculate the #s....
Another way to calculate the number is to take the population of Peoria and divide it by 4... and that should do it!
Last edited by allo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#41917 by alancommike
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 pm
There's an article from the SF Chron from back last March. Took me a bit to dig it back up: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 15SEF3.DTL

There's no sales numbers, but the projected revenue for 2009 was $20M. For ease of calculation, assume a blended ASP per user of $200, that makes about 100k subscribers. Give or take some. There's also mention of about a 25% uptake on Premier subscriptions. The biz is scalable, but I don't know how many users they modeled they'd need to be cash flow positive. At 100k users, they're only bringing in $2.5M per year on Premier, that's not enough. I'd think something closer to 250k subscribers.

Overall, I think they're in good shape. Though they are a VC backed company with some "issues" on the VC side, so anything can happen. They've already changed their biz model and are on the 2nd generation of hardware. That's a really good sign for a startup company. Most company's first idea doesn't pan out and if they can survive the switch in biz model, they're way above average. Ooma passed that hurdle. So, tell all your friends to buy a Telo and sign up for Premier - it'll be better for all of us. :)

...alan
#41937 by southsound
Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:02 pm
bw1 wrote:You already started that list:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1824&view=next

Yes, but I think we have more users now. Anyways, when I did the first list, I only had the hub. Now I have the Telo too. Or do I still just count as one user? :P