Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#41072 by jaybhai
Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 pm
Quick update:

1. Connecting the Hub to the cable modem directly made no difference (as I suspected), the power cycling continues. This is definitely a hardware or software issue, not a network issue.

2. Wasted another 35 min on the phone with Ooma support (went through the usual basic troubleshooting steps with the same results as I have been seeing all along) and was told that Level 3 support will contact me within 48 hours (but that is what they told me on Dec. 20th when I last called about this... and no one has contacted me yet).

I made the CSR promise to contact me if my ticket wasn't updated by Level 3 support by Monday... we'll see what happens over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in on this thread. It's great to see an active community of Ooma users willing to help each other out. :-)
#41074 by murphy
Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 pm
Are you certain that you have the correct power supply for the hub?
The specs say 12 volts and 1.2 amps.
#41083 by daet
Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:17 pm
murphy wrote:Are you certain that you have the correct power supply for the hub?

To which I will add two things:
a) Power supplies do go bad - so use a multimeter to ensure the PS is producing 12V, 1.2A, and
b) I have seen equipment similar to the Hub (eg. a router) endlessly cycle because of a failing power supply.

RadioShack has a 12V, 1.5A power-supply that will work for the Hub. I bought one for a router with a dying PS that had originally come with a 1 amp PS.

DG
#41090 by jaybhai
Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:17 pm
daet wrote:
murphy wrote:Are you certain that you have the correct power supply for the hub?

To which I will add two things:
a) Power supplies do go bad - so use a multimeter to ensure the PS is producing 12V, 1.2A, and
b) I have seen equipment similar to the Hub (eg. a router) endlessly cycle because of a failing power supply.

RadioShack has a 12V, 1.5A power-supply that will work for the Hub. I bought one for a router with a dying PS that had originally come with a 1 amp PS.

DG

Good stuff! I hadn't even thought about that. I am using the power supply that came with the Hub. I'll swap it out with my working Hub's power supply to see if that helps. If not I will go get a new one from the Shack and give that a shot too.

Thanks.
#41336 by jaybhai
Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 pm
Wasn't the power supply. Swapping out a working power supply didn't help at all... still power cycling.

But I finally was contacted by someone via email from Ooma support and we're working through any remaining troubleshooting steps before determining whether I need a replacement or not.
#48712 by Studly
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:42 pm
daet wrote:To which I will add two things:

DG

Great advice, DG! I too am having this problem with my Ooma Hub often rebooting, especially when I turn on other eletronics in the room. I'm pretty sure it's the power supply. I tested voltage with a multimeter, and that stays at 15v. But I'm no electronics expert and barely know how to use my multimeter for anything but testing voltage. How do I test amps on the power supply ... mainly I'm wondering about the connections on the little plug that goes into the hub? Any help would be appreciated!!