Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#40956 by jaybhai
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:24 pm
I have spent over 3 hours on the phone with Ooma support and no one has been able to help me. I am still waiting with 2 open tickets for someone to contact me about a couple of issues. The big one being that my Ooma does not stay on long enough to work... and appears to be in an endless cycle of reboots.

I'm hoping someone on these forums or a mod will be able to point me to someone that can help. Here's the deal:

- I have an old model Ooma Hub that a friend gave me. It is from the White Rabbit program and has Rev. 007 on the back.
- It had an ancient firmware on it the first time I went to home.ooma.com, but have successfully updated the firmware on the device (or so it seems) to Rev: 27712.27712 (which is the same version of my other working Ooma Hub).
- After doing a hard factory reset (holding the Ooma tab and power cycling), here is what I see:

1. the tab is orange while the the right column (2+voicemail+next buttons) lights up and then the left column (1+trash+play buttons) light ups.

2. the tab turns red and then the top row (1+2 buttons) lights up, followed by the middle row (trash+voicemail), and then the last row (prev+stop+play+next).

3. the tab starts blinking for a while and then stays red for a second and then blinks some more and finally turns off.

4. after a couple of seconds off, the tab turns orange again and repeats steps 1 - 3.

My hub has been doing this continuously for days... weeks even now. It definitely appears to be power cycling or at least disconnecting the network, because I am only able to load the pages at home.ooma.com while the buttons are lighting up in the steps above. It seems to go dead after step 3 and the network connection comes back during step 1.

This broken hub is connected to my network exactly the same as my working hub... so both should be fine in terms of networking configuration settings on my router.

During my calls with Ooma support, they couldn't tell me much about this problem... but did say that the messages my hub was sending their servers didn't look like other hubs. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing my hardware is sending data in a different format than new hubs.

I just want to know if this is the result of faulty hardware or if this can be fixed with software. I was supposed to be contacted by a "technical" rep from Ooma after they looked into my open ticket, but no word since mid-December. I am considering driving down to their Palo Alto office to find someone that can help... because the Ooma support sucks.

Any help from the community is appreciated. Any insights from the mods is welcome. I just want this hub to work so I can give it to my dad... :-) I'm already a lifetime premier member with my first hub... which so far has worked perfectly out the box. There's just something weird about this old White Rabbit model that is causing problems. :-(
#40959 by amoney
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 pm
Sounds like its shot - unsuccessfull firmware update.

Curious does it do this when disconnected from the network?
#40963 by jaybhai
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 pm
amoney wrote:Sounds like its shot - unsuccessfull firmware update.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. Since it's an old model and it was free... not many options to replace it, right? Other than buying a new one. :-)

amoney wrote:Curious does it do this when disconnected from the network?

Yeah, regardless of network connections or phones being plugged in, the light show continues.
#40968 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:13 pm
Doesn't sound good. I assume you have it installed behind your router, in parallel with your other Hub (not daisy chained). Try going into setup and make sure that on the Network page you have Dynamic (DHCP) selected for Network Connection and "Use Built in" selected for Modem Port MAC Address.
#40974 by jaybhai
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:45 pm
Groundhound wrote:Doesn't sound good. I assume you have it installed behind your router, in parallel with your other Hub (not daisy chained).
Yup... parallel, both have static IPs on the home network and access the internet through the same router, which is behind the Comcast cable modem.

Groundhound wrote:Try going into setup and make sure that on the Network page you have Dynamic (DHCP) selected for Network Connection and "Use Built in" selected for Modem Port MAC Address.

It's been set to "Automatic", which is the same as the "Use Built In" MAC address. Changing to "Use Built In" seems to reset to "Automatic" because of all the rebooting.

-------------------

I did notice that the "Ooma Tunnel" was showing up as "Disconnected" on the Status screen... does that mean it can't communicate with the Ooma service?

Another interesting note is that the "Your ooma Network is Initializing, please wait..." section on the Network screen is showing all items listed as "Detecting..." for Internet, Ooma Core, and Phone Line. But that could just be because the hub isn't given enough time to finish the process before the reboot.

--------------------

Any chance I can do something with the USB port to completely reset the hardware? Any other ways to factory reset other than the Ooma tab + Power on?
#40979 by bw1
Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 pm
jaybhai wrote:Any chance I can do something with the USB port to completely reset the hardware? Any other ways to factory reset other than the Ooma tab + Power on?

The USB port doesn't do anything. That's the only way to do a factory reset on the Hub is by holding down the tab while plugging it in.

Did you try connecting the Hub directly to your modem and disconnecting the second hub?
#40981 by jaybhai
Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:28 pm
bw1 wrote:Did you try connecting the Hub directly to your modem and disconnecting the second hub?

I've tried disconnecting my other working hub and just having the broken one on my network... but haven't tried bypassing my router.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow... but not sure that will help at all. Can't hurt to eliminate the router as a break point, though... so we'll see what happens. Thanks!
#41005 by amoney
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:33 am
Ive seen a Dell flat panel monitor do an endless power on/off cycle, we were able to locate a bad capacitor for the power supply, hunted down a replacement for pennies and successfully repair a few of these monitors. Just a thought. If you do bust it open, I would be curious to see its innards.

I wished I could crack open my Telo to fix the speaker (its broken). Although I think I would still prefer my Panasonics visual mail messages (such as a iPhone does), I was never able to play with Ooma voice mail much, listening from the Telo (I can barely hear with max volume), but if the speaker did work it may have grown on me.
#41058 by jaybhai
Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm
amoney wrote:Ive seen a Dell flat panel monitor do an endless power on/off cycle, we were able to locate a bad capacitor for the power supply, hunted down a replacement for pennies and successfully repair a few of these monitors. Just a thought. If you do bust it open, I would be curious to see its innards.

I'm going to wait until I'm out of options before cracking open the hub... I'm not a electronics guy, so will definitely ping you when the time comes. If you're interested, I might event send this thing to you to look at. ;-)

amoney wrote:I wished I could crack open my Telo to fix the speaker (its broken). Although I think I would still prefer my Panasonics visual mail messages (such as a iPhone does), I was never able to play with Ooma voice mail much, listening from the Telo (I can barely hear with max volume), but if the speaker did work it may have grown on me.

Sorry to hear about the speaker problems with the Telo.. but it sounds like you are able to get the Ooma service to work with your physical answering machine at home. Is that true? I think I read somewhere that if you max out the number of rings for the Ooma settings and set your answering machine to the normal 4-6 rings, it should pick up. I'm asking because that's how my dad intends to use Ooma. The Hub is going to be in a room upstairs and my parents would prefer to use the answering machine in the kitchen.

Of course, they won't be using Ooma at all unless I get this broken Hub working. :-) Does anyone know if Ooma has repair service for Hubs that are out of warranty? I'm going to try to convince them to just send me a replacement if they can't fix my problem... but given my record with Ooma support, that's gonna be a long shot.
#41064 by bw1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 pm
You can set the number of rings before Ooma voicemail answers to greater than the number of rings that your answering machine answers and the answering machine will answer the call. However, a call can still be answered by Ooma voicemail if someone is on the phone and the answering machine can't answer.