Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#40725 by kb4ob
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm
The Telo is about a month old and I recently had to power cycle it a number of times in troubleshooting connection problems.
Apparently, it is designed for x number of insertions and guess I am currently at x + 1 or 2 because mine fell out tonight while I was trying to re-configure wireless on my Dlink router, which is after the Telo.
After pulling half of my hair out trying to figure out why I couldnt get my Itouch to connect to the internet, I noticed that the Telo was "dark" and the &^%$ power connector had literally fallen out of the back of device.
Needless to say, it is now secured to the Telo with black electrical tape.

Since it is black, it doesn't look too bad but maybe someone needs to develop a TPARB (Telo Power Adapter Retaining Bracket) to insure that it doesn't kill your network when it falls out of the device. Besides, I live in South Texas and my tape will likely melt next summer and my network will die again...sigh
#40736 by amoney
Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm
Recently there was a support post that addressed this issue (just located and posted below). I was actually taken by surprise and thought WOW Ooma must not be as bad as all these posts make them out to be. The post simply stated to email them your info (to a specific email address) and a new power adapter will be sent out.

Well guess what, after 2 weeks, I just got it last night!

So to my disapointment, I open the box and it is identical. I thought WTF. It has the very same short pin. I plugged it in none the less, I honestly hesitate to say that it grabs more secure, I do not have a calliper measuring device to accurate gauge the plug dimension for any changes, so my feelings are purly subjective but as close I can tell it is identical.

Why did Ooma enginer such a bad adapter. It truly is horrible. You suggection is right on, I was thinking a deeper pin but the internal may not allow that hence the same plug received. Your idea would be a better fix to have a clip that sticks on the back that loops the power cord secure from accidently falling out upon movement of the base/wires.

I believe 3M Command strips has a small clip product for small wires, you can find this in your home goods store, I have to go dig to see if I have any left over.

Here is the support email... mind you I did not get a email response:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4597

A for effort I suppose.
#40746 by southsound
Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm
Actually the power connector is just fine. If you first plug it in the Telo and then coat the area surrounding the jack with an eighth inch bead of gorilla glue it holds pretty well. Of course, being a little bit of a klutz, it took me about half an hour to remove the glue from my fur. :P
#40782 by tommies
Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 pm
southsound wrote:Actually the power connector is just fine. If you first plug it in the Telo and then coat the area surrounding the jack with an eighth inch bead of gorilla glue it holds pretty well. Of course, being a little bit of a klutz, it took me about half an hour to remove the glue from my fur. :P

Are you serious?
I prefer household silicone glue over any other superglue, due to it's easy to work and far more easier to remove, and if a super hold is needed, there is epoxy. I dislike gorilla glue, cumbersome to work with and quality is not as good, and I not even mension the mess it created.

So far my replaced telo power plug is hold on good, no issue.

If you still have problem, use a sharp razor blade to cut off approximate 0.8-1mm of the rubber above the expose pin. I believe the problem is not that the pin is too short but the connector inside is too shallow for a much longer pin to be hold securely.
#40799 by southsound
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 pm
tommies wrote:Are you serious? I prefer household silicone glue over any other superglue, due to it's easy to work and far more easier to remove, and if a super hold is needed, there is epoxy. I dislike gorilla glue, cumbersome to work with and quality is not as good, and I not even mension the mess it created.

So far my replaced telo power plug is hold on good, no issue.

Actually, tommies, I was just joking. My first Telo power supply was great but after a lot of unplugging and replugging because of intense testing, it got loose. I ordered a replacement and got one in about 4 days! The new one is even tighter that the first one. It kind of "clicks" when it connects. I think it will be fine just as it is. However, we do have a venue where we hold Gospel Music jams about 5 times a year. We have a great sound system and supply a set of electronic drums so folks don't have to bring their own kit. I was amazed to discover that there was a product called gorilla snot that drummers use on their hands so they don't have the embarrassment of a drum stick flying across the stage. Go figure. :P
#40836 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 am
southsound wrote:If you first plug it in the Telo and then coat the area surrounding the jack with an eighth inch bead of gorilla glue it holds pretty well.

I might take this advice, except for two minor problems:

1. I have a Hub, not a Telo, and
2. The gorillas won't give back my glue!!!

*rimshot*