Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#42697 by DougInAZ
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:07 am
I am having a similar problem on Cox cable with Motorola modem. KB7 started a thread a few weeks ago with the same theme. He replaced his modem and the problems went away. I have had a Cox tech check my lines and make some adjustments, although the levels were excellent prior to his visit. That adjustment had no effect on the frequency of disconnects. I've been consulting with a very knowledgeable Cox tech on DSLreports.com and the modem seems to him like the long pole in the tent.

It seems the only way to sort out problems like this is to replace the modem, although in my case and it sounds like this one and maybe in KB7s case things were fine until ooma was added. I will be swapping out the modem as well as moving ooma and my modem to another location in the next few weeks to see what shakes out.

If ooma is not the source of the problem, I won't be surprised if it is the thing that pushes the modem/cable network off the edge.

I've been following other threads on DSLreports.com and there folks in my area that are having similar problems and they don't have ooma and they have already substituted a modem. I guess nobody said this would be easy. Does anybody know if DSL is plagued with problems like this?
#42776 by amoney
Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm
The little that I can say is that, sometimes some network devices when connected together do exactly that and cause a fault. And the problem device is only then discovered. Stuff like this does happen in the IT world.

On the flip side a newer moddem may just be more tolerant of a "bad client", it is a strech on words but basicly it is what it is. I have seen some strange network adapters issues. None the less, a swap out is your only means to troubleshoot.
#42792 by DougInAZ
Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm
You just confirmed my gut feeling. I've seen enough messy problems over the decades, but networks are foreign territory for me. I hate to just start cluelessly buying modems to try. It would be easier and cheaper to try used or thrift store modems if my ISP, Cox, didn't have this idiotic policy of not allowing a modem that hadn't been released by a previous account. I think I'll post a thread asking who has a cable installation doesn't have intermittent problems.

BTW, Qwest DSL does not have a similar policy, so that may just push me to another ISP if a solution doesn't pop up.
Last edited by DougInAZ on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#42793 by murphy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 pm
If you are renting a modem from Cox you should be able to take it back any time that you want and request a different one. You shouldn't even have to give them a reason. That's the way rentals work with Comcast.

If you have your own modem that has a problem, rent one from Cox until you find one that works and then if you want purchase the same model and return the rental.
#42794 by DougInAZ
Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:04 pm
I'm not renting a modem, however I have 2 or three friends in the area that have active cable modems in a
Cox account. I think I can just swap with them temporarily without causing any issues.

I think I heard that our local Cox no longer rents modems in our area. A Cox tech that I talked with on DSLReprots.com suggested that I ask Cox to provide a test modem through Tech Support. I'm a bit conflicted about this. If I can use my friends, that would be my first choice so I don't have to put up with the hassle of dealing with Tech Support.
#42823 by amoney
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm
DougInAZ wrote:I'm not renting a modem, however I have 2 or three friends in the area that have active cable modems in a
Cox account. I think I can just swap with them temporarily without causing any issues.

I think I heard that our local Cox no longer rents modems in our area. A Cox tech that I talked with on DSLReprots.com suggested that I ask Cox to provide a test modem through Tech Support. I'm a bit conflicted about this. If I can use my friends, that would be my first choice so I don't have to put up with the hassle of dealing with Tech Support.

Your friends modem will work, you can always take your Ooma to friends and neighbors and test on other ISP networks for comparison.
#42884 by DougInAZ
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 am
I shut down and disconnected ooma 36 hours ago and there have been no hangups here since. Last evening, however, I had a period of a five minutes or so when the internet connection was up and down. It recovered without a hitch and remained up while I streamed a Netflix movie via the wireless in the modem.

I have to wonder if I had ooma connected if I might have ended up with a connectivity loss? I had a chance to observe something that may have been the same a few days ago. Things were going smoothly for many hours then I noticed that page loading was very slow. It appeared to stop and then resume loading pages even slower. Eventually after several minutes all connectivity stopped. After power cycling the modem (only), the connection returned to normal speed.

While this is still just a guess, it appears to me at this point that the combination of ooma and some modems can be temporarily fatal to your internet connectivity.

I'm going to try to get another modem here sometime in the next day or so.
#43037 by MsCoulter
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm
{{Well, I would call them up and say its dead, let them send a replacement modem and see.}}

I ran out of quoting space in this forum! Anyway, I guess I could try asking the cable company to swap out the modem...after all, it is several yearts old. However, I don't think I can say its dead because that is not the case. I can say that I think it may have a problem and is knocking me off the Internet all the time.

BTW, still no word from ooma support. I emailed them through the website and also in a separate email to support@ooma.com. Somebody's asleep at the wheel!
#43041 by murphy
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:18 pm
If you are renting a piece of cable equipment, you can swap it out any time that you want. You don't have to give them a reason.
#44435 by davidm
Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 pm
MsCoulter wrote:{{Well, I would call them up and say its dead, let them send a replacement modem and see.}}

I ran out of quoting space in this forum! Anyway, I guess I could try asking the cable company to swap out the modem...after all, it is several yearts old. However, I don't think I can say its dead because that is not the case. I can say that I think it may have a problem and is knocking me off the Internet all the time.

BTW, still no word from ooma support. I emailed them through the website and also in a separate email to support@ooma.com. Somebody's asleep at the wheel!

What kind of router do you have (company and model)? Also your connection with Time Warner do you have standard road runner (or turbo) or do you have the road runner lite?

From your description my thoughts are on a poor or malfunctioning router. If a router gets more connections than it can handle it will often do what you describe and require a reset. This is especially common with older routers and when something such as bit torrent is used.

A TW technician ought to be able to scan your modem's log remotely and look for signs of connectivity problems having to do with the signal.