Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#40325 by Potts
Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:56 pm
PaulB. What do you own? Is it a Telco unit, or a Scout and Hub!
#40339 by PaulB
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm
It is an Ooma Telo and is currently connected after the router. The computer that I cannot see on my home network is the computer connected via ethernet cable that comes from the Ooma Telo unit.

Both desktops have the same subnet. I also changed the second desktop to have the same DNS servers. That is, my main computer uses OpenDNS and on the 2nd computer I have tried to let DHCP automatically assign the DNS servers and then I set the DNS servers to the OpenDNS addresses.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to run a separate ethernet cable from the router to the Ooma and one to the other computer. I was trying to avoid that because it will take more cable stretching as my router is upstairs and my computer/Ooma/2nd computer are all downstairs.
#40350 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm
I don't know if this helps but some routers / firmware allow you to assign an IP address based on the MAC address so that device will always get the same IP address.
#40359 by Potts
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 pm
From my understanding the setup should be, Modem, Ooma, Router, This is what works for me, using the Scout and Hub. so setup is this, cable in feeds to modem, modem feeds Ooma Hub, Ooma hub feeds to the inlet of the router, using port 1-4 of the router feeds computer. My home network, nor any of my router software, shows Ooma as a device on the system.
I found setting up Ooma so easy, I called CS to be sure it was working.
#40360 by murphy
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:13 pm
PaulB wrote:One thing I haven't tried yet is to run a separate ethernet cable from the router to the Ooma and one to the other computer. I was trying to avoid that because it will take more cable stretching as my router is upstairs and my computer/Ooma/2nd computer are all downstairs.

You can buy a product, made by Intellinet, that lets you run two LAN connections over a single cable as long as you are not doing gigabit ethernet. Half of the wires in a standard LAN cable are unused.
The approach that I prefer is to get an inexpensive switch to put at the downstairs location. An 8 port switch will allow you to connect 7 devices. The 8th port is used for the connection to the router.
#40367 by tommies
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 pm
PaulB wrote:It is an Ooma Telo and is currently connected after the router. The computer that I cannot see on my home network is the computer connected via ethernet cable that comes from the Ooma Telo unit.

Both desktops have the same subnet. I also changed the second desktop to have the same DNS servers. That is, my main computer uses OpenDNS and on the 2nd computer I have tried to let DHCP automatically assign the DNS servers and then I set the DNS servers to the OpenDNS addresses.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to run a separate ethernet cable from the router to the Ooma and one to the other computer. I was trying to avoid that because it will take more cable stretching as my router is upstairs and my computer/Ooma/2nd computer are all downstairs.

You said so(Both desktops have the same subnet,) and I just want to confirm that nothing is missed.

Assuming that your home LAN is set up as 192.168.0.x, and your router is at 192.168.0.1.
ooma advanced setting.png
ooma advanced setting.png (99.55 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

Change your telo DHCP into the same sub net of your LAN, be sure to have each DHCP server operates on a separated range. Do your telo set up look similar to this one below, or the one above?
ooma advanced setting B.png
ooma advanced setting B.png (98.26 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

any pc connected to telo HOME port will have ip of 192.168.0.242 and has no trouble connected to other pc's on the same LAN(192.168.0.x)

If every thing is allright but the pc still cannot see other pc on the same LAN, then I will pointing the finger at the telo and file a bug report regarding the telo routing capability.
PS.
DNS sever setting has no effect on the private ip addresses, of which should be handle by the router that issues these addresses.
#40507 by PaulB
Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm
Do your telo set up look similar to this one below, or the one above?

No, I cannot even get into the setup.
#40510 by tommies
Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 pm
PaulB wrote:Do your telo set up look similar to this one below, or the one above?

No, I cannot even get into the setup.

Do you try from the pc that connected to the telo's HOME port? What is the ip address of the pc that connected to the telo? Is there any firewall/anti-virus on this pc? Make sure the cable is good(including the jack/plug connection)and the LED at the RJ-45 jack is lit.

to find your pc's ip address(es), issue the command ipconfig /all inside a windows command box.
#40597 by PaulB
Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 am
there is no PC attached to the Telo's "home network" jack. I have a router with 4 jacks. #1 goes to my main desktop, #2 goes to a second PC, #3 goes to the Telo, and #4 goes upstairs for a laptop (which is wireless, or wired, if needed).

I guess I could attach my laptop to the Telo and access the setup that way.