Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#39919 by Paradox
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:12 am
Hi all, I've searched around a bit and tried various things to help me improve my download speeds (rather, make them what they were before installing my Ooma Telo) and here is what I have come up with:

When I hook up my system CABLE MODEM ==> ROUTER ==> OOMA TELO the systems works great in that I get great download/upload speeds of 5800 kbps Download and 460 kbps Upload.

BUT with this setup I get bursts of static on my handsets when using the phone.

If I hook the system up CABLE MODE ==> OOMA TELO ==> ROUTER I get great call quality without the bursts of static but then I get 470 kbps upload speeds and only 880 kbps download speeds. That's more than 6x slower download speeds...

Thanks anyone who can offer any assistance. I have tried setting my qos using the high numbers for my up/down speeds and that did not help. Also, I do have fax mode unchecked in my ooma profile. Again, THANK YOU for any assistance which can be offered.

Also, maybe I should note my router is an old Linksys which I seriously doubt has QoS. It's a Linksys BEFW11S4. Thanks again...
#39924 by Paradox
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:57 am
I just ran a test over at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and these were my results: (This is with my system setup MODEM ==> ROUTER ==> OOMA TELO where I get the bursts of static while on a call but high download speeds)

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 49.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4286264 bps
Upload speed: 507592 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 83 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 37 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 93 ms
Average round trip time to server: 97 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 7680000bps
Route concurrency: 1.7917702
Download TCP forced idle: 29 %
Maximum route speed: 5637416bps

One thing interesting to note... When I call my cell phone to test things, I only hear the static bursts on the phone hooked up to the ooma system. On the number I am calling, they do not hear the static bursts... Strange if you ask me, but I know nothing about this whole ooma/voip thing lol.
#39926 by Paradox
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 am
Ok, using speedtest.net my results were:

Download = 6.84 Mb/s
Upload = .49 Mb/s

Since I made the first two posts I spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with Ooma tech support and in the end they had to open a trouble ticket...

He said 1. It is strange the static burst(s) which last one second are only heard on the Ooma number and not on the other persons number being called or calling me. and 2. he said he has no idea why when I hook up the system MODEM ==> Ooma ==> Router my download speeds from from almost 7mb/s to 1mb/s...

This isn't looking too good if you ask me lol
#39933 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:00 pm
Paradox wrote:Ok, using speedtest.net my results were:

Download = 6.84 Mb/s
Upload = .49 Mb/s

Since I made the first two posts I spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with Ooma tech support and in the end they had to open a trouble ticket...

He said 1. It is strange the static burst(s) which last one second are only heard on the Ooma number and not on the other persons number being called or calling me. and 2. he said he has no idea why when I hook up the system MODEM ==> Ooma ==> Router my download speeds from from almost 7mb/s to 1mb/s...

Which way were you connected when you ran the above test?
#39940 by Paradox
Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:37 pm
Groundhound wrote:
Paradox wrote:Ok, using speedtest.net my results were:

Download = 6.84 Mb/s
Upload = .49 Mb/s

Which way were you connected when you ran the above test?

The above test was performed hooked up MODEM ==> ROUTER ==> OOMA

If I change to MODEM ==> OOMA ==> ROUTER and run the test at speedtest.net I get:

Download = 1.77 Mb/s
Upload = .49 Mb/s

Makes no sense to me why the Ooma is slowing down my download speeds SO much... Anyone have any idea's, please? lol
#40451 by Paradox
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 am
Sorry this took so long for me to test!

Ok, plugged in MODEM ==> OOMA ==> COMPUTER, no router or nothing else I still get:

Download = 1.79 Mb/s
Upload = 0.48 Mb/s

Also, as noted above, OOMA opened a trouble ticket for this but no one has gotten back to me yet. I have read their phone support is terrible, but do they usually at least contact you or do you have to keep on them for a fix? I have tried so many different ways/settings etc and downloading anything anymore is just terrible, even casual surfing is becoming affected with these speeds.
#40475 by lchan
Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 am
I wonder if your Telo was the cause of you download speed problem. Once I helped a friend to fix her Roadrunner Internet connection. The cable modem refused to talk to the router until I set up the router to clone the MAC address of the last device the the Modem connected to. After that, everything was working fine.

I think it is worthwhile for you to take the Telo to a friend's home and try it out over there. It would be best if your friend uses FiOS or sometime else but not cable.