Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#39210 by TonyB
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 pm
On the phone / hold with Verizon...

I was one of the first, if not the first to get broadband in the canyon in which we live a few years ago. The most we could get then was 1.5 down (384 up, I believe). Earlier this year I got a new, discounted 1 year plan when I went dry-loop (when I got Ooma!), and was told that I now have 3 down, 768 up. I had not seen any difference though, but was too busy with our first baby on the way, plus Ooma was working great, as well as the internet... I had always done speed tests, like at speakeasy, and never saw a difference before and after.

Well, with some time recently over the holidays, I logged into the modem (Westell 6100) and see that it has us at the old, previous service level: connection rate 1792 / 448. Might this be the problem - that I need a newer modem or that some settings need to be changed to allow us more bandwidth?

Verizon (still on hold, chatting with them) is saying that this (1.5 / 384) is the capability of the line. So maybe it's not the modem... They will want much more $ starting in April for this 3 meg down service that I'm not getting. If it is truly the capability of the line, the the provider is not a factor, right?

Curious to hear any thoughts. Thanks.
#39213 by murphy
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:07 pm
Have you power cycled the modem lately? Modems typically download their configuration files from the ISP during the initial power on handshaking process.
#39218 by TonyB
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:21 pm
Hi murphy. You get around! As you might recall, I'm the guy who started the thread on port-forwarding (surveillance cameras) in the Installation forum... So, I've done plenty of power cycling in the past couple of weeks. I suppose I can do one more since I just got off the phone with Verizon...
#39231 by Davesworld
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm
Don't recycle too many times in a short amount of time because the dslam will see that as a line quality issue and downgrade it to be "safe", then it has to train back up slowly.
#39339 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:36 pm
My coworker recently ran into a similar issue.

Long story short for him even though his neighbors has extreme 6 down etc. He can not get it because of a billing department issue. Basicly a tech came and proved that the "line" can handle the speed -note that basicly any line can its all about the hardware, but even though he had the hardware on the pole, the billing department could not bill so he could not get uncapped.

Its a back end issue and it took a very long time to extract this info, becuase of our backgrounds we were not accepting the BS excuesses handed to him. And eventually we got the truth. The bottom line, alot of lazy folks in the billing depatment that have not UP'D the speed of the otherside of the neighborhood. Believe me he was pissed, he wanted to get rid of comcast for a weak of poor service. $h17 happens and thats what customers are stuck with untill someone reboots a network switch.

BTW that Westel modem can handle the speed, sounds like a billing department issue.

Just a humorous side note... there are ways of "uncapping" your modem speed... but no further explaination necessary... ha!
#39357 by TonyB
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:53 pm
amoney, thanks for confirming what I was thinking was possible... Doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. Hmm, "uncapping" the modem. I'm smiling as I run-off to do some Googling. Thanks much.

Davesworld, I appreciate the info, and I'll make sure not to power cycle much more than I already have.
#39379 by TonyB
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 pm
Ok, after doing some reading, I'm a bit apprehensive about trying this maneuver (uncapping). Apparently quite a few folks have gotten in trouble for "stealing" bandwidth. My goal would be to prove those bozos wrong and to get what I'm paying for 3 mb, and no more, but...

Is there another way to test what the line is capable of without doing something illegal? Maybe a way to see what my neighbors are getting?
#39386 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 pm
TonyB wrote:Ok, after doing some reading, I'm a bit apprehensive about trying this maneuver (uncapping). Apparently quite a few folks have gotten in trouble for "stealing" bandwidth. My goal would be to prove those bozos wrong and to get what I'm paying for 3 mb, and no more, but...

Is there another way to test what the line is capable of without doing something illegal?

LOL yeah the ISP's frown upon people uncapping their modems.

Cant remember how my coworker got a ticket for a telco tech to come and check the lines, but even then the technician came and indicated to the home office that it works, even that was no dice, the billing department ultimately has you by the balls. You would think they would want to make more money.

Again this is just a guess what may be happening in your case, it very well may not be, just sounds similar. When you find out that these scenario exist it explains alot.

Hope your getting your money back.
#39400 by scottlindner
Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:27 am
TonyB wrote:Ok, after doing some reading, I'm a bit apprehensive about trying this maneuver (uncapping). Apparently quite a few folks have gotten in trouble for "stealing" bandwidth. My goal would be to prove those bozos wrong and to get what I'm paying for 3 mb, and no more, but...

Is there another way to test what the line is capable of without doing something illegal? Maybe a way to see what my neighbors are getting?

This may not be true for all DSL service but it works with QWest in Colorado Springs. Clear the PPP username and password and go to the modem's status page to see the rate it is trained at. Although you won't be able to get on the Internet, it will train at the highest rate the modem and line can support. At least, that's how it worked for me when i was isolating my DSL issues several years ago.

Scott
#39514 by TonyB
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:11 pm
Scott, that sounds interesting and easy to do. Thanks much.

I joined-up at the dslreports.com forum also. I started a thread there in the Verizon DSL sub-forum and got a response fairly quickly... Actually, I just received a follow-up helpful response. I'll share the link here in case it might help others:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r235685 ... 5-Why?r=86

I'll look into seeing if ADSL2+ is available at our CO...