Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#38245 by raxxal
Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 pm
I was not expecting this, but today I came home, and I saw on one of the Vtech handset that I have a message. I disable the answering system on the Vtech because I am using OOMA system, so I was kind of confuse. I went to check my TELO and sure enough I had a message, I knew that anyway since the OOMA system sent an email to me. I played the message, and right after that, the Vtech showed no more message. This is cool!
vtech_message.jpg
vtech_message.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
#38281 by hpepper
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:56 am
My Uniden and Panasonic have always done this with both my Classic hub and Telo.

It is FSK technology (Frquency Shift Keying)
#38282 by bw1
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 am
Many of the newer cordless phone systems will do this, sometimes it has to be correctly configured.
#38290 by Mike-o-Matic
Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:08 am
I have some older AT&T 2.4GHz phones and they also show a message-waiting indicator. Pretty cool. I sure didn't expect it!
#38303 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 am
raxxal wrote:I was not expecting this, but today I came home, and I saw on one of the Vtech handset that I have a message. I disable the answering system on the Vtech because I am using OOMA system, so I was kind of confuse. I went to check my TELO and sure enough I had a message, I knew that anyway since the OOMA system sent an email to me. I played the message, and right after that, the Vtech showed no more message. This is cool!
vtech_message.jpg

Yeah this is not only normal for at least a few years now with either landline or voip systems but this feature was one of many why I bought this Vtech system(Mine is a 6321-3 with a fourth 6301 handset added). I prefer to buy systems with no answering machine (there is mention of a 6311 system for this but it does not exist yet) since as of a few years ago, you always got voicemail indication rather than an answering machine in these preferable models. The newer systems with integrated answering machines do both so I can live with it. With the many ways to get voicemail messages with all modern voip systems, there is no compelling reason to have an answering machine at home anymore. I wrote to vtech asking them why phone manufacturers insist on dumping integrated answering machines with phones to the US market only, in other markets, integrated answering machines are far less common because not many would have a use for them.

I'm also happy that the newer phones at least remember the answering machine on or off state before a power outage, they didn't used to do that and defaulted to on after power loss.

The cellphone answering and contacts upload to the phone base work flawless for me. I just turn my cell on silent and plug into the charger cord near the base when I am home. Since most cell carriers have no caller ID for incoming, if someone in your contacts calls you, their name shows up on the handsets as well. The 6300 series are really sweet over all.
#38304 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:41 am
PS: Show folks an angle shot so they can see the nice double angle of the front. The handsets on this model will stand upright on a flat surface. The back is curved and feels comfortable in the palms. I stay away from most phones that are just a flat sided rectangular lump with curved corners.
#38688 by Scott Spillers
Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:24 pm
I've been looking into getting a set of these Vtech phones for use with my Telo. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Vtech 6321 & Vtech 6322 phones? They seem to be identical, but something has to warrant the alternate model number. I'd sure like to find out what the difference is before I buy them.

Thank you.
#38706 by Davesworld
Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:01 pm
The manual is the same for both and nowhere does it spell out any differences other than number of handsets. The extra handset 6301 is also for either one plus a 6311 if it exists. Typically, people buy the 6322-4 when they want 4 handsets out of the box. The manual lists a 6321-4 but you will not find one anywhere. There is also a phantom 6311 which has all the same features minus the built in answering machine which is what I really wanted but like the 6321-4 it doesn't exist. Another interesting tidbit is that the 6322 is not shown on the Vtech USA website and I have not seen a 6311 anywhere other than there is a printed manual for it. Basically, they are all the 6300 series and if you take the answering machine out of the equation, they all function exactly the same except the 6311 would have a voicemail light on the base in addition to the voicemail indicator on the handsets which is true of all models. I really wish they sold the 6311 here.