Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#38092 by Skippy101
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:54 pm
I installed my Ooma Telo a few days ago only. Am I dreaming or is my internet now a bit slower? It seems that videos now load slower than before, and pages also refresh slower. Is that possible. I currently use Cox High Speed internet as my internet provider.
Thanks.
#38096 by bw1
Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:08 pm
Yes, it's possible. Do you see the speed drop only when you're making a phone call?

You may need to adjust your QOS settings. Is your Telo connected directly to your cable modem or to a router? You may want to try both configurations and run speed tests to determine if there is an affect.

You can run a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net.
#38099 by Skippy101
Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:25 pm
No, I noticed the slower speed even when I'm off the phone. So, that's a possibility? I was not aware of that.

As for the connections, let's see. This is how it goes:
The Cox cable goes to the cox modem, which is then connected to a wireless router. The router is then connected to the Telo, which is then connected to my computer. So, the order is Modem-Router-Telo-Computer.

I'll do the speed test you suggest, but I'm not super computer-savvy, so I'll do my best... lol.
By the way, what does QOS mean? I can only guess Quality of Service?

Thanks.
#38101 by Skippy101
Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:32 pm
I just did the speed test with my current set up, and I got the following:
Download speed: 22.93 mb/s
Upload speed: 4.15 mb/s

I did it a second time, and I got:
download: 16.51 mbps
Upload: 4.24 mbps

How would that rate for speed?
#38175 by bw1
Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:06 am
Yes, you should connect your Telo directly to your cable modem and then connect the router to the Telo or you should connect the Telo and your computer(s) to the router like oldanbo said.

By connecting the Telo to the cable modem, you get conditional QOS from the Telo, whereby QOS is enabled only when a phone call is in progress.

Yes, QOS is Quality Of Service. You can adjust it here - http://setup.ooma.com, if you have a computer connected behind your Telo. See here for more info: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ty-service
and here: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ervice-qos

Those are excellent speeds. What is the rated speed that you are supposed to get from Cox, 22 down and 4 up?
To see if there is an affect, you would need to run tests with your computer connected behind the Telo and without to see if it makes any difference. In most cases, it shouldn't make any difference.
#38221 by Skippy101
Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 pm
Thank you so much for the suggestions, and the extra info. It really helps.
I just tried out a different set up, hooking up my computer to the router, instead of the Telo. Interestingly enough, the speed seemed faster when I hooked up my computer to the Telo, than the router... Is that possible?
Each time I do a speed test, I get different speeds, but here is what I was getting:
- computer hooked up to Telo: download as high at 25mbps (usually around 19-23)
- computer hooked up to router: download only up to a max of 19mbps, an often only around 11.5.
There wasn't as much noticeable difference on the upload speed.

Is there any reason for this? I'm no computer geek, so all I do is hook up cables and hopes for the best... lol

My next problem to fix is figuring why my VM still goes to the Cox VM instead of the Telo VM...
I also have problems faxing. So far, it doesn't seem to work...
#38313 by bw1
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 am
There's no reason that the speed should be any different when connected to the Telo versus the router when you have cable internet. You're probably just experiencing differences in speeds that are a result of usage on the node for your cable connection. Cable internet speeds will fluctuate and are affected by others that are connected to the internet through the same node (neighborhood).