Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#36723 by mydanilo
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 am
I have looked in System Preferences for the Fax Mode options but it is not there. What happened to this option?

I am trying to send faxes from my XP Pc and also from my fax machine. I have played around with *99 and then the number and still my faxes fail. Any other suggestions? And again, where can I set the FAX Mode in My Ooma?
#36739 by jstock
Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 am
At least for Telo users it's now under Preferences->Phone Numbers as an optional checkbox once you click on the number in the Phone Number column. This was pointed out in the My Ooma release notes for the update.
#36756 by mydanilo
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:31 am
Yes, thank you. Now I found the option. I check marked the fax mode option, saved and tried again to fax. Still my faxes fail. Anything else I can try?
BTW, how long does it take for the fax codec to be active? Does my Telo need to be powered off/on again?
#36764 by Dennis P
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 am
mydanilo wrote:Yes, thank you. Now I found the option. I check marked the fax mode option, saved and tried again to fax. Still my faxes fail. Anything else I can try?
BTW, how long does it take for the fax codec to be active? Does my Telo need to be powered off/on again?

It can take up to 5 minutes for the changes to take effect. Power cycling the Telo will make it re-poll for its configuration so it can pick it up faster.
#36767 by jstock
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:52 am
Other than trying a lower baud rate like 9600 and turning off ECM, if it's enabled on your fax machine. I don't know.

Faxing works for me with ECM disabled, but Enable Fax mode never has no far. I still use *99 pause pause. The last time I had it set, three faxes failed. When I went back to *99 with the pauses, they magically sent successfully again. Isn't Enable fax mode meant to do the equivalent of *99?
#36769 by Dennis P
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 am
Yes, it should be equivalent.

Updated 2/27: After further investigation, it is not equivalent. Fax mode enable is for incoming fax calls. Outgoing fax calls still requires *99 to be dialed.