Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#36347 by happycamper
Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:04 am
OK, so we have a cable modem and only get internet service. It used to be flaky sometimes, but two different cable guys really upgraded all the cabling coming into the house to make it better.

Our setup: cable modem --> Ooma --> wireless router

Things have been great for months, but lately our internet connections have been going up and down. By rebooting the cable modem and power cycling Ooma I can _usually_ get it back up and running again. The cable company is no help and it's tricky for me to confirm the modem is at fault. (When the internet goes down, I have no problem accessing and changing attributes in my wireless router via a cable or wirelessly, so I know it's not the problem...)

Is it possible to set things up so Ooma is connected to the wireless router? That way, I can isolate the problem... if the phone goes down but the internet stays up I can blame the Ooma base, but if the internet continues to be flaky, I can blame the cable modem directly and press the cable company to come out and fix it...

Thanks for any advice.

-Matt

(PS. For advice, I'd put my tech competency as middle-high... I'm the tech support person called by most of the rest of my family and some friends... so if it is kinda tricky but possible by just doing some settings tweaking, I should still be able to pull it off... )
#36351 by murphy
Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 am
Yes you can connect the ooma to your router as long as it is hard wired and not a wireless connection.

As far as your cable modem goes connect to:

http://192.168.100.1

and take a look at the signal values.

Downstream power should be between -7 dBmv and +7 dBmv
Upstream power should be less than 50 dBmv
The signal to noise ratio (SNR) should 35 or higher.
#36355 by happycamper
Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:02 pm
Thanks for the link...

Downstream is 2 dBmv

but Upstream is 50dBmv
and signal to noise is exactly 35

So it sounds like we're just on the edge of appropriate levels. (which has continually been one of our problems..)

-Matt
#36365 by murphy
Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm
happycamper wrote:Thanks for the link...

Downstream is 2 dBmv

but Upstream is 50dBmv

So it sounds like we're just on the edge of appropriate levels. (which has continually been one of our problems..)

-Matt

Your downstream and SNR are fine. Alert: math lesson to follow: the progression is -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 so 2 is good. The headend sets your upstream power based on the signal strength that they receive back from your modem. How many splitters are in the path from the incoming cable to the modem. Are they bi-directional splitters?
#36370 by happycamper
Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:57 pm
murphy wrote:
happycamper wrote:Thanks for the link...

Downstream is 2 dBmv

but Upstream is 50dBmv

-Matt

Your downstream and SNR are fine. Alert: math lesson to follow: the progression is -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 so 2 is good. The headend sets your upstream power based on the signal strength that they receive back from your modem. How many splitters are in the path from the incoming cable to the modem. Are they bi-directional splitters?

I knew Downstream was fine... I don't think we have any splitters between us and the incoming cable... we took out as many as we could (we don't get cable TV so don't need splitters for that...) However, there is still a lot of cable coming in leading up to our cable modem. There are a few tiny "joiner" type boxes here and there... last time we had someone out they replaced all the copper cabling outside leading into our house with aluminum (because the indoor wiring was also Al).

As for bidirectional, I couldn't tell you (I suppose I could hunt them down and check what they say, but I'm fairly sure we don't have any splitters anymore, just because we've been prone to signal strength problems...)
#36392 by happycamper
Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm
Tech support at Comcast wants to blame everything on bad IP addresses... is there any way I can force my Ooma base unit to re-do its IP address?

(I'll browse over to the tech support section to see if I can find what I need there, although if someone wanted to post a link to an appropriate article I'd appreciate it...)