Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#38805 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:52 pm
DougInAZ wrote:
Default is Automatic, so someone changed it.

If it has been changed since it came out of the box, then I did it. Certainly it was because of something I read in the ooma forums.

Probably so. It is a change that is frequently recommended here, and I would leave it the way you have it.

Back to your modem dropping the connection, I doubt that the Ooma Hub is the cause. What model of modem do you have? You said earlier that it happens twice per day, does it happen at certain times? You can try connecting the Hub behind your router, but I would be surprised if that made any difference in this case.
#38813 by DougInAZ
Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 am
Back to your modem dropping the connection, I doubt that the Ooma Hub is the cause. What model of modem do you have? You said earlier that it happens twice per day, does it happen at certain times? You can try connecting the Hub behind your router, but I would be surprised if that made any difference in this case.

My modem is a Motorola SBG900, an integrated modem/wireless router. It has only one wired port, so there isn't any choice how I connect ooma. The only choice is that I have to use a wired connection when I want to access the setup page. Until recently, I always used the wireless connection to all 3 PCs.

The modem hangup has been happening twice a day lately. Once between bedtime and dawn and once after mid-day to sunset. This has been going on a long time, but It wasn't that much of a problem because during the summer I turned off everything at night. With cooler temps, the modem and ooma remain on during the night.

It never occurred to me that ooma might be the cause of the problem until I found this thread. I think I will start shutting down the ooma hub for a couple days at a time and see if things change. Since this has been going on since mid summer, it doesn't bother me if it takes a few months longer to sort it out.
#38827 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:02 am
Next time your modem loses its connection, connect your computer to the Ooma Hub's Home port and look at the home page and status page in setup. You should also do this when everything is running normally so you can see what difference there is when the modem has lost connection.
#38841 by DougInAZ
Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 am
I removed the power from the ooma hub about 6 AM today. If ooma was the cause, then there should be no more hangups. FWIW, the modem was hung up when I tried to send an email at 11 AM and a modem reboot solved the problem, as usual. The internet connection was OK all morning. I think I'll leave the ooma hub off for the next 24 hours and then all next weekend.

I didn't disconnect the ooma hub from the modem, but removed the power connection to the ooma hub.

Previously, I had looked at the modem logs after a hangup, but they don't make a lot of sense to me. The one thing that concerned me was some entries that had a time stamp like some default date, far in the past.

It is beginning to look like it is either the modem or Cox internet. Given the fact that the initiator of this thread, KB7, is within 100 miles of me (in Phoenix) and has both a Motorola modem and Cox internet, maybe we should be comparing notes.

I've already contacted Motorola tech support as well as Cox tech support and got nowhere so far. I suggested that it looked like a firmware problem, but that didn't seem to resonate either. I had scheduled a Cox tech to check out the installation, but canceled it until I could eliminate the ooma hub from consideration. That still leaves the modem or Cox and I'm guessing that if Cox can't find anything (and I can't imagine how they would), then the finger will be pointed at the modem and they might want to charge me $50 for their trouble, and I would still have the problem. Maybe I should just buy another modem from Craigslist.
#38845 by Kevin
Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Kevin i to used to have a surfboard but it did not have a DHCP server built into it. You may have a different one then i did though so here's a question to see which type you have, how many LAN ports does it have? If your cable modem is a combo unit (a cable modem and a router/switch) then it will have several LAN (Local Area Network) ports on it for several network devices (PC's, Network Printers, Telo, ect.) to connect to it. If however it is just a cable modem by itself it will have 2 ports on it, one LAN port and one WAN (Wide Area Network), Internet port. This type will indeed only allow 1 address to be passed through it and as Murphy has said you will indeed need to put the Telo in front of your switch. This will also allow QoS to work correctly to prevent call drop outs in case of high bandwidth use.

If you wish instead to have the telo connected to the wireless router you can do this provided it supports QoS and is enabled in the router. Or you can put the telo in front of the router, in other words your connection would be Cable Modem > Switch > Telo > Router.

To answer your question no your switch if it is working properly is not causing the problem.

Hope this help if you have any questions about this i'll be glad to answer them :)

My modem is the Motorola SB6120 which is one of their newest models. It only has one LAN port, so I am assuming that I will need to throw a router in between my modem and my Telo. As mentioned in my previous post, I have a structured wiring system in my house, so all my network stuff is located in the basement (all cat 5e runs, cable modem, switch). I currently plug-in the Telo into a lan connection in my kitchen which is where my phone is also located. It wouldn't make any sense to locate the Telo in the basement in order to put it in between my modem and router just from a convenience standpoint.

So the configuration I am thinking of trying is to purchase a decent router with Qos built in, hook my the router to the modem, then hook the Telo connection in to port 1 on the router. I will then hook port 2 into by switch for all my other computers, including my wireless router which is located upstairs. I am hoping that the router will control the assignment of i.p. addresses and then allow me to talk on the phone without crashing the internet for everyone else.

Am I on the right Track? I am still not sure why I can't change the MAC address on the Telo to use the built in address. Any thoughts on that? Will putting the router in place help with that problem?

Thanks for your help!
#38846 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:24 pm
What you have planned should work fine. As far as the MAC address issue - while I currently have my Telo behind my router for testing purposes, I had it previously connected directly to my SB6120 using Comcast, and the built-in MAC address choice worked fine. Anytime you change the MAC address for a device connected to the modem, the modem needs to be restarted so it will recognize the "new" device.
#38959 by kb7
Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:26 pm
Big Update

Executive Summary
1. Thanks to everyone for all your help.
2. I've tried a bunch more stuff (see below).
3. Still no joy.

I won't bore you with all the details but suffice to say that I have been running some custom scripts to monitor my network status with and without ooma plugged in. Basically, my scripts periodically contact my router, my ooma hub, my modem and www.google.com by multiple means (e.g. just open a socket on port 80, actually pull an html page, or plain old ping).

I see that the combination of cox+modem with ooma completely disconnected has some rare-and-brief dropouts which usually resolve themselves in under two minutes without me having to reset the modem.

But if I have cox+modem+ooma, I get several frequent-and-long dropouts. Frequent typically means at least twice a day. Long means will persist for hours until I reset the modem.

So right off the bat, yes, cox and/or modem is not perfect. But without ooma, I never had to reset the modem. And testing over the holidays has confirmed that this is still the case. So the modem (or cox) is not perfect, but it's awfully stable, even with one or multiple routers plus networked computers, printers, WiFi, etc. I don't expect perfection, but I get something pretty close to perfect, anyway.

Now add ooma to the mix -- either directly downstream of the modem, or behind a router, or even behind *two* daisy-chained routers. (Hey, I was feeling crazy the other night.) Horrible! In every one of these configurations, I get multiple dropouts (which kill both ooma phone service and noral internet service) which almost never cure themselves -- every day. The "workaround" is to reboot the modem. Those of you old enough to remember that WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor know that this is not a good or sustainable situation.

Also, regardless of network topology, *all* the computers on my LAN see the internet ** if and only if ** the ooma hub is blue. So if the ooma is blinking red, no computer sees the internet. This is true even for computers patched into the upstream router when the ooma is patched into the downstream router. Think about that. What the... ?!?!?! I am back to the single router config now, since "hiding" the ooma behind a second router did not help.

A few more details. The ooma hub is set to use the factory MAC for it's "MODEM" port and a static IP on whatever router it is plugged into. (And, yes, when I run two routers they are completely separate subnets.) Of course when the ooma is plugged directly into the modem, I pretty much have to use DHCP on the ooma upstream, because that's just what the modem does.

So, yes, the cable modem may not be perfect. But we get on great when ooma is not in the picture.

The fact that ooma effectively blocks *all* my computers from seeing the internet until it's happy and blue seems more than a little narcissistic. Is anyone else seeing this?

And when ooma is unhappy, it stays unhappy until I reset the modem. Is anyone else seeing this?

I regret to have to add this last bit. Ooma tech support has not been helpful. No response to email a couple weeks ago, and phone support has not no better than reading color-coded cue cards. Any tips on elevating the technical issue to someone at ooma who can actually help?

Thanks, everyone!
#39052 by kb7
Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:12 pm
Groundhound wrote:What model modem do you have?

It's a Surfboard 5100, about five years old iirc.

Software Version: SB5100-2.3.2.5-SCM01-NOSH
Hardware Version: 3
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.4

On the chance that the modem may be the problem [1] I plan to try out a spiffy new surfboard 6120 this week. I called Cox and they seem to be cool with switching the MAC to a new modem and back again to the old modem afterward. Updating MACs be the only "service" they have not decided to "monetize" yet. lol!

I have noticed that -- more often than not -- a soft reboot of the modem is sufficient to sort things out. I usually don;t have to physically cycle power. So my "fallback" plan is to slap together a little script which wakes up, say, once a minute and tries to contact one or more big websites, like google, with a short but reasonable timeout, say, five seconds. On any success, no action will be taken. On complete failure, the script will make a couple more attempts. If those also fail, the script will open a connection to the surfboard's configdata page (which includes an HTTP POST INPUT button for restarting the modem) and respond by emulating clicking the button. The script will then sleep for a reasonable time, say, three minutes, to allow the modem to reboot and reacquire and to allow ooma to connect to ooma core, before resuming its normal probe/sleep cycle. The downside is that I'll have to keep a computer up all the time, until the ooma guys include this feature as an option in updated firmware. [Hint!] Better yet, I'll be happier if swapping out the modem just makes everything work. Either way, I'll share my results here.

Thanks!

[1] This would indicate a modem-ooma compatibility issue, since this modem continues to work fine without ooma.