Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#36446 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 pm
kb7 wrote:@ oldanbo: I've tried rebooting in all 3! = 6 permutations of {modem,router,ooma} for both Config #1 and #2. It's not that I don't appreciate your suggestion. I just want to document this for anyone who might come along with a similar problem.

Thanks.

Okay, I'm being a smarta** here, but really 3 to the 2nd power equals 9 and that's just for 1 config.
Smarta** off now. I see what you are saying.

Wish I could have been of more help. I'm pretty sure that others more knowledgeable than myself will offer suggestions.

Regards,
Dan
#36453 by kb7
Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:49 pm
oldanbo wrote:Okay, I'm being a smarta** here, but really 3 to the 2nd power equals 9 and that's just for 1 config.

Wish I could have been of more help. I'm pretty sure that others more knowledgeable than myself will offer suggestions.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for playing, but bzzzt! :) 3! = 3*2*1 = 6. I have three boxes to cycle power on, with no repeats, and order is assumed to matter. So all permutations are considered distinct and I have three choices for the first, two choices for the second, and exactly one choice left for the third. Total possible sequences: 6. Now, you might have thought I was doing a different experiment, for which the answer is 9. That's fine, just not what I was describing. Really, Dan, I do appreciate your chiming in here. And if you have any ideas -- even crazy ones as long as they don't involve submerging the ooma in perfectly good Guinness -- I am interested.

Meanwhile, the Murphy Principle seems to be in full effect. Since Sunday afternoon about 14:30 MST, when I implemented the locked-MAC suggestion from murphy (coincidence? what's in a name...), the ooma hub has gone down exactly once, which was sometime between 01:30 MST and 07:00 MST Tuesday. I suppose the failure may be multimodal, and murphy's suggestion knocked out the first-order term. But that would fail Occam's Razor. If history repeats, the ooma will lock up again sometime overnight and I'll get another shot at it in the morning.

Cheers,
KB7
#36456 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:23 pm
kb7 wrote:
oldanbo wrote:Okay, I'm being a smarta** here, but really 3 to the 2nd power equals 9 and that's just for 1 config.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for playing, but bzzzt! :) 3! = 3*2*1 = 6. I have three boxes to cycle power on, with no repeats, and order is assumed to matter. So all permutations are considered distinct and I have three choices for the first, two choices for the second, and exactly one choice left for the third. Total possible sequences: 6. Now, you might have thought I was doing a different experiment, for which the answer is 9. That's fine, just not what I was describing. Not quite because your really do have to power down and then back up all 3 in the proper sequence, hence 9. Bzzzzzt
Really, Dan, I do appreciate your chiming in here. And if you have any ideas -- even crazy ones as long as they don't involve submerging the ooma in perfectly good Guinness -- I am interested.

I was gonna suggest that I submerge myself in a nice Guinness stout, it's been a while :)

Meanwhile, the Murphy Principle seems to be in full effect. Since Sunday afternoon about 14:30 MST, when I implemented the locked-MAC suggestion from murphy (coincidence? what's in a name...), the ooma hub has gone down exactly once, which was sometime between 01:30 MST and 07:00 MST Tuesday. I suppose the failure may be multimodal, and murphy's suggestion knocked out the first-order term. But that would fail Occam's Razor. If history repeats, the ooma will lock up again sometime overnight and I'll get another shot at it in the morning.

Cheers,
KB7

This is fun, but I'd rather see your situation resolved favorably. I just took my Ambien though, I think I'll take another look and rethink your setup tomorrow. Don't forget though that there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable and friendly people here and they can probably help to resolve you problem better than I. And thank you for acknowledging my attempt for a solution. Who's Occam? I haven't shaved since yesterday :)

Cheers KB7,
Dan
#36459 by kb7
Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 pm
@Dan: Ok, you are doing a different experiment. Or, at least your design matrix is larger than mine. lol! Point taken. I guess we could both use some sleep. And first thing in the morning, I'm taking this newfangled razor back to Occam's shop and going back to my trusty straight-edge. Cya!
#36573 by kb7
Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:38 am
*** Fresh Data *** Very Strange *** Read to End ***

Last night, Config #2 lost contact with the ooma core and cut off all internet access for my LAN.

To recap, Config #2 is modem-->router-->{PCs + ooma} with the OOMA's MODEM_MAC locked to the factory value.
Note that the PCs are plugged into the router, nt the ooma. (I do plug a PC into the ooma to get setup.ooma.com.)
And the only reason I tried this config is that the recommended setup (Config #1) was locking up.

As of today, I have proof that the start of downtime does NOT correlate with the scheduled expiry of the lease obtained by the router from the cable modem. And yet, all symptoms point to the cable modem cutting off service, presumably because something the ooma is doing is making the modem think I'm trying to pull more than one IP (which I am not trying to do!).

Since Config #2 is failing the same way Config #1 failed, this morning I switched back to Config #1.
To recap, Config #1 is the recommended modem-->ooma-->router-->{PCs}

Now, the *very* strange thing is coming up:

Config #1 ... check.
Reboot modem ... check.
Internet access ... check.
Ooma calls ok ...check.
setup.ooma.com ---> fails! My PCs get http 404
172.27.35.1 ---> connects! My PCs see the setup page... sort of...

The Ooma banner graphics are presented, as usual. The left-hand frame (menu) is visible, as usual. And clicking on the menu items causes pages to load. But all but of the pages are EMPTY!

Home: blank!
Network: blank!
Advanced: blank!
Ports: shows the usual data, similar to unix ifconfig

When I say 'blank' I mean nothing but whitespace. I don't mean field labels with no values. I mean nothing. Nada. Zilch. Just Firefox's default white background. (IE7 gives the same result.)

I didn't think to check for a hardware factor-reset button on the unit... I guess I should check for that.

But just to beat a dead horse: Any computer behind the router can connect to the internet and (though only via the hardcoded IP) to the ooma setup page. But all but one of the setup pages is blank.

What's up with this? Now I am pretty convinced that the ooma is the problem, all along.
Last edited by kb7 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#36578 by murphy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 am
DHCP leases are renewed when they reach the half way point, not when they expire. A two day lease will be renewed after 1 day. This is to guarantee that they keep the IP address they already have.

The default HOME port IP address is 172.27.35.1 not 172.27.34.1. Did you change it?

Kapersky (sp) anti-virus will prevent the filling in of ooma's web pages.

The Chrome browser has also been reported to have problems. (I've never used Chrome).
#36584 by kb7
Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 am
Aveamantium wrote:Sorry I haven't read all the way through but blank pages are usually tied to your antivirus (bitdefender and kasperky). Disable these and the pages should work.

I will check and get back to you guys.

Thanks!
#38368 by Kevin
Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:50 pm
Just finished reading this post, and was disappointed to find that this problem does not seem to be resolved. I am having a similar issue with the Telo. What is different is that my problem occurs every time I use the phone for more than a couple of minutes. This disconnects my entire network from the internet. The weird thing is that the Telo for the most part continues to work, meaning my phone conversation is not interrupted, just my access to the internet via a computer. I have a similar setup as you with my cable modem going into an 8 port gigibit switch. The Telo is plugged into the switch, as is my wireless router. My main pc is connected directly to the wireless router (not wireless). I then have four other computers which access the internet via wifi. All of them go offline when someone is on the phone.

I tried setting my MAC address to the default, and have rebooted everything several times. The Telo will not connect with this setting (1-red, 2-red, trash-red, ooma logo flashing red). When I set the MAC address to automatic, it connects fine, but I still have the problem loosing my internet connection when someone is using the phone.

I am on Comcast service with 20 meg downstream, and 5 meg upstream so bandwidth is not an issue. I would love to hear if you were ever able to solve you problem in hopes that it my help me with mine.