Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#36149 by kb7
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:00 pm
I apologize in advance if this ends up sounding like a rant. I am really frustrated. My wife is threatening to return the ooma and go back to Qwest landline. It's *that* bad.

When Ooma is up and running, life is wonderful. Great voice quality, great download speeds. But Ooma's reliability is *horrible* and it takes everything down with it when it goes.

Ooma is taking down our whole network -- phone and internet both -- at least once per day and typically two or three times a day. We're completely offline when we wake up at 6 am almost every day.

It's the same thing every time. The ooma tab is flashing red and the "1" and "2" buttons are solid red.

We see this with *both* of two configurations:

Config #1: COX --> Surfboard --> Ooma --> NetgearRouter --> ( PCs on multiple router ports )

and

Config #2: COX -->Surfboard-->NetgearRouter--> ( Ooma & PC's on multiple router ports )

The "1" and "2" buttons are solid red, indicating that the hub can't reach the ooma network. The cable modem says we are online, but the PCs on our LAN cannot reach the internet. Now, in Config #1, I am not surprised that Ooma locking up also block the internet. But the *crazy* thing is that even in Config #2, Ooma locking up also blocks our PCs from reaching the net!!

Throughout it all, the cable modem says it is online with COX. Accessing the surfboard diagnostics from one of the PCs in Config #2 confirms this. Similarly, accessing the router diagnostics shows nothing wrong. Strange. I'd think in Config #2, my PCs would see the internet. But not so. It's as if the Ooma has poisoned either the router or the modem.

Now it gets even stranger. The following four facts are are TRUE for both Config #1 and Config #2 once the Ooma has locked up:

FACT 1: Cycling power on the ooma (only) is useless. No ooma, no internet.
FACT 2: Cycling power on router (only) is useless. No ooma, no internet.
FACT 3: Cycling power on the surfboard (only) cures everything...until the next time the ooma locks up.
FACT 4: Cycling power on the ooma an router (together) is useless. No ooma, no internet.

So the only "cure" I've found is to cycle the surfboard. SO you might think I have a flaky cable modem. Not so. Besides having used this surfboard for five years with zero problems (!), I disconnected the ooma for two days. Zero problems. When I reconnected the ooma, it went down and locked everything up again within the first eight hours.

Although I'm a bit of a techie, I am mostly a consumer. I just want something that works, regardless of why.

I am willing to try just about any mojo, since nothing makes sense at this point.

I hope someone can help. Thanks for reading. I think I'll be returning this puppy under warranty, because several of my coworkers have similar setups and have not had any problems.

Torqued In Tucson
#36150 by murphy
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:07 pm
Connect to the configuration page inside the ooma.

http://setup.ooma.com

Must be done from a computer connected to the ooma's home port.

On the Network page configure ooma to use the built-in MAC address as opposed to automatic.
Power cycle everything.
#36160 by kb7
Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:47 pm
@murphy : Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that right now and see if that fixes things.

I'm wondering: Where is this in the docs? Or do you just have to be a Cisco Certified Network Engineer to figure this stuff out?

Thanks!
#36162 by gsdog
Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:52 pm
Hi KB7, When I first read your post...I was wondering if your router had an access schedule set. But when you said without the Ooma everything worked perfect--it does make one wonder if the Ooma is the root cause. You might exchange the Ooma for a new one to eliminate one possible cause. You using the Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo--knowing this may help others on the site to help you further. I"m sure others on the site have Cox ISP (I don't have Cox) who could offer some suggestions on setting up the configuration.
#36168 by kb7
Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:35 pm
To clarify: I have the ooma hub -- the white box.

I implemented murphy's suggestion (see earlier in this thread) to use the built-in MAC for the MODEM port on the ooma. Previously it was set to Automatic. That was almost four hours ago, and so far so good. I'll update this thread as the situation unfolds over the next few days. It won't take long.

I noticed that at that time I made the change, the automatically selected MAC already matched the built-in MAC. That's not surprising, since the cable modem had recently been rebooted to restore operation as stated in the OP.

I really hope this solves the problem. If I sound a little skeptical, it is because the help for setup.ooma.com says that the automatic mode automatically tries to clone the MAC of the device attached to the HOME port. Well, in my Config #2, there was nothing attached to the HOME port. So it's unclear whether the MAC for the MODEM port is actually a factor. Now, if the ooma decides for some strange reason to change the MAC for the MODEM port (in the default Automatic MAC mode) that could certainly wreak havoc with the ooma and anything downstream from it. But unless the ooma cloned the MAC of the router or one of the other devices downstream from the router, it's still very hard for me to understand why a bad MAC for the MODEM port would kill the connectivity of the PCs plugged into the router, side-by-side with the ooma.

Here's my current setup:

Code: Select allConfig #3: COX --> Surfboard --> Netgear_WGR614v6 --> ooma_hub --> Ubuntu
                                                 \---> WinXP
                                                 \---> printer

The change from Config #2 to Config #3 was to move the Ubuntu box from the router to the ooma, so that I could access setup.ooma.com without any other ooma changes.

If the system goes down again, I will try to access setup.ooma.com and see if the settings have changed from what they are now.
#36233 by kb7
Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:06 pm
Ok! It's been twenty-four hours since I implemented murphy's suggestion, and the ooma hub is still up in Config #3. Yeah!

To recap, the suggestion was to lock ooma's MODEM port to its built-in MAC.

Assuming ooma stays up a few more hours, I will switch back to Config #2 for continued testing.

Thanks, murphy!
#36327 by kb7
Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 am
Bad News. Ooma went down again -- same apparent failure mode -- after about 36 hours of uptime. I guess that was a statistical fluke.

I am still using Config #3. (See earlier posts in this thread.)

The setup.ooma.com (from the box plugged into the ooma HOME port) shows that the ooma has an "internet" connection (which I think simply means that it sees a device on its MODEM port) but is "trying to connect" to OOMA CORE. This appears to be consistent with the failure mode: solid red "1" and "2" buttons.

All computers (the one connected to the ooma HOME port and the ones connected to the router) are all able to ping the router and access the router's admin page. But no computer is able to ping the cable modem or access its admin page. Again, that might make sense for the box connected to the ooma. But for the boxes connected directly to the router, this is very surprising. The SEND/RECEIVE/ONLINE lights on the modem are solid and the blinky lan ACTIVITY light on the modem shows activity. It's as if the modem is either out to lunch or is being swamped by the OOMA trying to connect to OOMA CORE. [H1] Of course, none of the computers can see the internet when all this is going on.

Reboot ooma. No joy.
Reboot router. No joy.
Reboot modem... once the modem gets ONLINE, but ooma is still seeking OOMA CORE, none of the computers can see the internet (just like before rebooting the modem). The difference is, about a minute or two after rebooting the cable modem, the OOMA finally finds OOMA core and goes blue. At the exact *instant* that ooma goes blue, suddenly every computer can see the modem and the internet.

So I augment my previous hypothesis with a speculation that ooma's process of seeking OOMA CORE effectively disables the modem, either by misconfiguration or DoS or something else.

Once ooma got OOMA CORE and went blue, I pulled up the modem log. It appears that the last thing in the log before most (maybe all) of the ooma lockups is a T4 timeout. Something about maintenance. I can post the log later if it helps.

At this point, it appears that either COX is doing some network maintenance that locks up my modem only when ooma is connected, or ooma is not compatible with my cable modem, or the cable modem is defective or the ooma is defective. I really doubt that the modem is defective, since it works fine with both routers I've used.

[H1] I plan to (partially) test this hypothesis the next time ooma hub goes down. I will unplug the ooma from the router and see if the other boxes downstream of the router suddenly see the cable modem.

Any more ideas? Since I know other people using ooma with COX (albeit a few miles away, not in my cul-de-sac) in both Config #1 and Config #2 with zero problems, I am leaning toward swapping out the ooma under warranty.

Thanks Again Everyone
#36357 by kb7
Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Just sent an email to support requesting someone to get back to me to arrange swapping out my ooma hub.

I will update this thread as development warrant.
#36415 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 pm
kb7 wrote:Bad News. Ooma went down again -- same apparent failure mode -- after about 36 hours of uptime. I guess that was a statistical fluke.

I am still using Config #3. (See earlier posts in this thread.)

The setup.ooma.com (from the box plugged into the ooma HOME port) shows that the ooma has an "internet" connection (which I think simply means that it sees a device on its MODEM port) but is "trying to connect" to OOMA CORE. This appears to be consistent with the failure mode: solid red "1" and "2" buttons.

All computers (the one connected to the ooma HOME port and the ones connected to the router) are all able to ping the router and access the router's admin page. But no computer is able to ping the cable modem or access its admin page. Again, that might make sense for the box connected to the ooma. But for the boxes connected directly to the router, this is very surprising. The SEND/RECEIVE/ONLINE lights on the modem are solid and the blinky lan ACTIVITY light on the modem shows activity. It's as if the modem is either out to lunch or is being swamped by the OOMA trying to connect to OOMA CORE. [H1] Of course, none of the computers can see the internet when all this is going on.

Reboot ooma. No joy.
Reboot router. No joy.
Reboot modem... once the modem gets ONLINE, but ooma is still seeking OOMA CORE, none of the computers can see the internet (just like before rebooting the modem). The difference is, about a minute or two after rebooting the cable modem, the OOMA finally finds OOMA core and goes blue. At the exact *instant* that ooma goes blue, suddenly every computer can see the modem and the internet.

So I augment my previous hypothesis with a speculation that ooma's process of seeking OOMA CORE effectively disables the modem, either by misconfiguration or DoS or something else.

Once ooma got OOMA CORE and went blue, I pulled up the modem log. It appears that the last thing in the log before most (maybe all) of the ooma lockups is a T4 timeout. Something about maintenance. I can post the log later if it helps.

At this point, it appears that either COX is doing some network maintenance that locks up my modem only when ooma is connected, or ooma is not compatible with my cable modem, or the cable modem is defective or the ooma is defective. I really doubt that the modem is defective, since it works fine with both routers I've used.

[H1] I plan to (partially) test this hypothesis the next time ooma hub goes down. I will unplug the ooma from the router and see if the other boxes downstream of the router suddenly see the cable modem.

Any more ideas? Since I know other people using ooma with COX (albeit a few miles away, not in my cul-de-sac) in both Config #1 and Config #2 with zero problems, I am leaning toward swapping out the ooma under warranty.

Thanks Again Everyone

I can't speak to the other issues, but it appears that you are rebooting your gear in the wrong order. Try reversing your reboot sequence. It's worked for me and hopefully will for you.
#36439 by kb7
Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:33 pm
@ oldanbo: I've tried rebooting in all 3! = 6 permutations of {modem,router,ooma} for both Config #1 and #2. It's not that I don't appreciate your suggestion. I just want to document this for anyone who might come along with a similar problem.

Thanks.