Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#35550 by cljung
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm
How long does it normally take ooma email support to respond? I sent what I thought was a fairly simple question on billing by email last night and still have not heard back.

I recently activated my ooma device this past weekend and purchased the number porting feature on Sunday. When I logged into my credit card provider, I discovered that there was a pending charge of $49.99 not $39.99. Number porting is advertised as $39.99.

Anyway, if someone can look into this and reply back it would be appreciated. The lack of any kind of response is disconcerting.
#35552 by murphy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 pm
That's the way credit cards work. The initial reservation, to verify that credit is available on your card, can be different from the final charge. In fact I've never seen a reservation that matched the actual amount. Don't worry about it until the actual charge is processed.
#35557 by cljung
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:23 pm
Okay, thanks. That sounds reasonable. I would have like to hear someone from ooma tell me that. For a company that had a blog entry claiming that they will make customer support a priority, their customer service has already left a poor first impression.
#35563 by jstock
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:41 pm
I see people here complaining about poor customer service every day. I came to Ooma from AT&T Wireless and Qwest for my fax line. Two of the absolute worst companies in terms of customer service one could ever get stuck with.

Have I been frustrated by Ooma's CS? Certainly! There is a ton of room for them to improve in both email and phone support.

Having said that, I've always gotten my issues resolved eventually. I can't say the same for either of the two companies mentioned above.

The more important quality is that, at least for me Ooma "just works". I'm not even that annoyed by the Telo handset. I'm confident that Ooma will address all issues eventually, but then I've always been an early adopter of new technology so my expectations are tempered.

Very good customer service is the exception not the rule these days. If you want it, you would have to pay higher prices for the goods or services. Personally I'm an Annual Premier subscriber because it was less than a single months cell phone bill for me.

I want Ooma to succeed and I believe they will. It's obvious that the core people working on the actual hardware and software in the trenches do care, and want to deliver great service.
#35565 by southsound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 pm
jstock wrote:I want Ooma to succeed and I believe they will. It's obvious that the core people working on the actual hardware and software in the trenches do care, and want to deliver great service.

Great attitude! We're glad you are on board helping us keep our eyes on the silver lining! :cool:
#35582 by cljung
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm
jstock wrote:I see people here complaining about poor customer service every day. I came to Ooma from AT&T Wireless and Qwest for my fax line. Two of the absolute worst companies in terms of customer service one could ever get stuck with.

Why are you lumping my particular question with all the people you see "complaining" about customer service here everyday. My first experience with ooma support was contacting through email. My second was this forum.

And my question wasn't that complicated, someone else on this forum answered within minutes. I'm concerned because the actual number porting process can get very complicated if not done correctly and without great support from the phone provider. People who have gone through the number porting process can attest to this.

Before you dismiss my particular issue as a complaint instead of a valid concern, get off your high horse.
#35584 by jstock
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 pm
cljung wrote:How long does it normally take ooma email support to respond? I sent what I thought was a fairly simple question on billing by email last night and still have not heard back.

Anyway, if someone can look into this and reply back it would be appreciated. The lack of any kind of response is disconcerting.

Hmm I wonder why I picked yours as a general example of an entitlement mentality? Reasonable timeframe?

Edit: If you were really concerned phone support is better than email, or as you've seen this forum is helpful as well.. Oh and I've ported numbers several times with no issues and Ooma was helpful and communicative during my number port,

Try not to call people out quite so quickly when your post seems to betray your attitude :D
#35588 by cljung
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm
Right, my first question was asking how long it took to respond. So far, haven't heard back and day is almost over here. That's reasonable to you? I guess I have to phone into ooma from now on.

And as a counterpoint, of course I want ooma to succeed. I'm going to assume everyone on this support forum does. How is questioning their lack of a response to my email support and immediate indicator that I want ooma to fail?

Companies with great track records for support (Zappos, Amazon, Apple, etc.) usually end up on top at the end. Companies with absymal customer support do not last long (long list of telecommunication companies).
Last edited by cljung on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#35590 by southsound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm
cljung wrote:Right, my first question was asking how long it took to respond. So far, haven't heard back and day is almost over here. That's reasonable to you? I guess I have to phone into ooma from now on.

I like ooma. In fact I have both the hub/scout package and a new Telo. But when a problem cannot be solved by the other users on this forum, email rarely works as well as a telephone call. I have no idea why - it seems like it would be easier to answer emails since they can be dealt with during slack times - not true of live support. We're glad you got your answer from the forum. And also that you have come to the same conclusion as most of us that telephone support is generally faster than email. Maybe some day it will change, but for today, that's the honest scoop.

Also, it seems like most of us have forgotten our manners. Welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:
#35594 by jstock
Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm
cljung wrote:Right, my first question was asking how long it took to respond. So far, haven't heard back and day is almost over here. That's reasonable to you? I guess I have to phone into ooma from now on.

The first and only time I emailed the generic support address, it took almost 10 days, so yes one day isn't realistic. It should be, but Ooma isn't the only company guilty of this.

And as a counterpoint, of course I want ooma to succeed. I'm going to assume everyone on this support forum does. How is questioning their lack of a response to my email support and immediate indicator that I want ooma to fail?

I never said you wanted them to fail, but you're also not their sole customer.

Companies with great track records for support (Zappos, Amazon, Apple, etc.) usually end up on top at the end. Companies with absymal customer support do not last long (long list of telecommunication companies).

Dennis P and Bobby B and other employees are shining examples of the support you expected, but they can't do it all unfortunately.

If not for Dennis, I may have given up on Ooma shortly after I bought the Telo, but their dedication gave me hope.

Edit: My using your post was never meant to be an attack on you or your question. I just have seen the immediate gratification attitude quite a bit. I should add that part of my job is a government contract. Talk about a hell where people are powerless, that would be it. To do the simplest thing takes way too much, change is glacial,

Anyway, I apologize that we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot, and I echo the Welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find that Ooma is a great product overall. It's worth the (hopefully rare) headaches.