Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#35088 by silver
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 am
Beginning yesterday, 11/28, outgoing email is failing. To make a very long story short the Ooma hub, when connected between the modem and router as recommended, seems to cause the problem. When I connect the router directly to the modem the problem disappears. Any idea as to why this problem would suddenly appear and how to fix it? Right now I have the router feeding the Ooma hub and everything works okay but I realize that is not the optimum configuration. (I also swapped out the router and the symptoms did not change.) A second computer which connects wirelessly to the router has the exact same symptoms with outgoing email so it does not appear anything changed with my computer(s). Perhaps Ooma made a software change overnight 11/27?
#35092 by WayneDsr
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 am
The problem has something to do with your mail server. You have to make a change in the outgoing server name.
I've seen some posts in the past relating to this issue. I'll try to dig them up for you.
Does ooma work as well connected behind the router? This is the way I have mine set up for almost a year and it works great. Just a thought.

Wayne
#35093 by WayneDsr
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44 am
Here is one post on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2222&p=15062&hilit=+mail+server#p15062

Hi there, thanks for the help. I managed to get it fix by adding an extension to the pop-server to include the full domain name and it worked. I have no idea why it is required when I have Ooma installed but not required when Ooma was not installed. Thanks.Locke

Wayne
#35104 by silver
Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:19 pm
Thanks Wayne, I also had seen the post you reference while researching my problem. Guess I didn't think that could be my issue since outgoing mail has worked fine with the current Outlook Express mail server settings - until Saturday morning. I haven't had a chance to check out Ooma performance while it is behind the router - just made one call that worked fine. I may just need to leave it that way. Curious how these problems seem to pop up out of nowhere and supposedly nothing has changed.....

Bob
#35138 by silver
Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 pm
As I previously mentioned, placing the Ooma hub after the router instead of before the router 'solved' my outgoing email problem. I had also swapped out the router so when I was putting the original router back in place I also went back to the original configuration with the hub between the modem and router. Magically the problem did NOT recur. I have no logical explanation for what transpired. Prior to making ANY changes I had re-booted the modem, router and hub several times. I think the message here is I should have gone away for the long week-end, avoiding the problem entirely and saved several hours wasted chasing a ghost.

Problem solved - for now at least....

Bob