Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#34661 by SomaCat
Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 pm
How does the USB port on Ooma Telo work?

I plugged in a fairly standard USB Wireless adapter -- Netgear WG111T which I use all the time.
It is not recognized by the USB port.

It would be very nice to be able to locate the Ooma Telo somewhere besides the DSL Modem/Router when I travel.

I have a very good wireless connection from my laptop to the DSL Modem/Router.
Can I network the Ooma Telo downstream from my laptop like this:

Internet DSL == DSL Modem/Router == Wireless NIC in laptop == Ethernet NIC in laptop == Ooma Telo
or
Internet DSL == DSL Modem/Router == Wireless USB Adapter in Ooma Telo == Ethernet NIC in laptop.

What is the purpose of the USB connector? I cannot find any documentation on the subject.

Thanks for your attention.
#34664 by doug
Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 am
SomaCat wrote:What is the purpose of the USB connector? I cannot find any documentation on the subject.

At this stage, it is mostly just reserved for future use. There has been some speculation that one option may be exactly what you have requested so that it can get its internet feed wirelessly instead of via wired cable. Note that another option to achieve this would be a pair of powerline network adapters, or a wireless bridge which provides a RJ45 at the other end.

Another possible use for the USB port will be to provide bluetooth headset support. Beyond that, it is mostly speculation what other features may get added.
#34678 by hpepper
Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:47 am
... and although it isn't really what you are looking for, you can actually plug in your handset cradle with the correct cable - That is how I charge my handset.
#34679 by gregg098
Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:59 am
Eventually you will be able to plug in a bluetooth adapter which will allow you to use your home phone system to make and receive calls from your cell phone. No dates have been set for this feature, but it is in the works.
#34727 by southsound
Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am
SomaCat wrote:How does the USB port on Ooma Telo work?

I use mine for my USB Jack.