Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#34255 by oomaba
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm
If you move out of state, can you get a new local phone number from ooma so that your new neighbors won't have to make a long dist. call ? If so, will ooma charge for the new number ?
#34257 by doug
Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:06 pm
oomaba wrote:If you move out of state, can you get a new local phone number from ooma so that your new neighbors won't have to make a long dist. call ? If so, will ooma charge for the new number ?

Yes you can. I don't remember the exact fee but it is something nominal like $10. It is certainly WAY less then a LEC charges when you move. Note that if you have premiere membership, you could also opt to keep your old number as one of the two phone numbers and then your old friends won't have to make a long distance call either. You'd probably want the new local number to be the primary number for the default outbound caller ID.

Anytime you move the base to a new location, the first thing you should do is change your address in the lounge because it is used for the E911 service. You don't want to dial 911 and have it reported as being your former location. :(
#34342 by southsound
Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:29 pm
You can also keep your existing number (for free calling for those who you know in your old location) and get a new Google Voice number in your new town. Then forward that GV number to your existing number. That way you have the best of both worlds. Old friends can call you like they always have and there is no charge for the number in the new town. We have a truck driver friend who often does support for our recovery group - he has a company cell phone with a Tacoma, WA number and his boss lets him use it for personal calls. Most of our Shelton, WA group members do not have a cheap way to call long distance so he was unreachable without high long distance costs. We got him a local Shelton Google Voice number that forwards to his Tacoma cell number. All for free. Check out Google Voice. I use it as a front end for my landline, ooma hub, ooma Telo, and Net10 cell phone. Free is VERY good! :P
#34825 by oomaba
Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm
Thank you Doug and Southsound. I never used VoIP before, but am very happy with OOMA. I will definitely check Google Voice. Didn't know that GV is invitation only and it says I will have to wait to get a GV number. No idea how long it will take, but I can wait. Thanks for the tip.

from Oly, WA.