Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#33756 by turtlebud
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm
I'm considering getting the telo to upgrade my hub, but I wanted to get some opinions from people that already upgraded.

How does the telo run compared to the hub - is there any difference or are there any problems?

Was it worth the upgrade?

General impressions?

Thanks!
#33760 by oldanbo
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:55 pm
Both work fine here. The scout was a little less workable in my configuration because I would have needed to purchase another. But that was due to my satellite TV receivers, not ooma.

The hub is a rock solid unit (IMHO), the Telo worked so well for me that I made the switch. YMMV
Cheers
#33773 by fastlane01
Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 am
So far so bad.

When they provisioned my unit they apparently did something wrong because I can only dial about 3 area codes plus 800 and 866 numbers(not 888 - hello, that is where their own support is.)

Also, you can only use 1 handset right now and the upload QoS is broken but at least DennisP finally addressed that.

Plus the handset range is bad.

Hopefully their updates will address some of these issues.
#33780 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 am
fastlane01 wrote:Also, you can only use 1 handset right now and the upload QoS is broken but at least DennisP finally addressed that.

Actually, the problem with the upload QoS is that it is working all the time instead of just when a call is in progress.
#33791 by jtykal
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:04 am
I have both a hub/scout and a Telo. For my purposes, I actually prefer the Hub/Scout because I wanted two hard-wired phone lines with separate numbers. You can have a second number on the Telo (with Premier), but it needs to be assigned to a specific handset -- there is no way to get dial tone for the second number onto a pair of wires.
#33795 by WayneDsr
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 am
That's a tough one. I have both. I've had the Ooma Hub for almost a year.

The ooma hub has been around for quite some time and all (most) of the bugs are worked out of it. It's a very reliable piece of equipment, it does what you need it to do and does it well. It has two wired lines. The Scout can be a pain to install with DSL, otherwise it also works well.

The Telo is brand new, you have to expect issues at first and they will all go away in time, just like the hub. This is edge of technology stuff, if you can't stand to be on the edge, get the hub. I love new stuff and am willing to work out the rough edges with a great company.
The Telo lacks the wired second line. The Scout is gone. Long live the Scout! The Telo's handset isn't just a handset, it's a Scout in a phone. I believe this is the reason the range and the talk time is not as good as a plain Dect 6 phone. I love the concept of 2 separate lines using cordless phones. We can only use 1 now, but using up to 4 in the future is awesome. If you need the range, connect your own dect 6 to the Telo base.

The audio in the Telo is smooth and mellow compared to the Hub, for me this is nice. I love the audio.
With all the extras mentioned for future development, the Telo promises to be more than just a phone. I can't wait to see what Ooma has planned.

So, bottom line, if you want a solid performer and need a wired second line, the Hub and Scout are for you. Be aware that this is old hardware and some day it will be gone.

Telo is new, not ready for prime time, but Ooma is working day and night to make it an outstanding voip phone system.
Be aware that the Telo does not have a wired second line, to use the instant second line, or 2 separate phone numbers you must buy the Telo Handset.

My choice? I'm going to go with the Telo as my main household unit. I can use my Panasonic Dect 6 and the Telo handset. Future plans are exciting, I want to be a part of that.

Wayne
#33817 by fastlane01
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 am
OK - update to my previous note! The Telo handset is now working to dial any number.

With that change, I am also going try like Wayne mentions - hooking up a Panasonic DECT and use the Telo for now. That should let both lines get used at once(YES!) and now that dialing is working, all is MUCH better.

I can get decent signal with the Panasonic, but the Ooma Handset has a little shorter distance it can go.

Now that I figured out the QoS issues per the previous note and since Ooma has acknowledged the issue and should fix it, that's something that will make me feel better about the Telo.

I had a Hub system for 9 months, but couldn't use the Scout due to sheer logistics and numbers of cables needed to get the Scout into action - and now with the Telo handset I don't need it.

So, major plus there. I am going to try Telo for now and hope it all just keeps getting better like the Hub did - the wife acceptance factor just went up 1000% now that she can dial anywhere. ;)
#33933 by Wilsonium
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:56 am
jtykal wrote:I have both a hub/scout and a Telo. For my purposes, I actually prefer the Hub/Scout because I wanted two hard-wired phone lines with separate numbers. You can have a second number on the Telo (with Premier), but it needs to be assigned to a specific handset -- there is no way to get dial tone for the second number onto a pair of wires.

I have both an original Ooma Hub which is working just fine with 2 numbers. I also have my telo which is running with landline integration and 2 additional numbers. I can make calls on any of my Telo lines from any phone in my house, including my house wiring connected to my Telo's phone port. From a phone connected to the Phone port on the Telo, dial **1 and you'll get a brief stutter and another steady dial tone from your 2nd number. So you do have access to dial tone on your additional numbers. However, you are correct in that you can't get 2 separate lines connected to the Telo's phone port (say for a 2 line phone system). A limitation that prevented me from transferring my Hub account to my Telo.
#33940 by hpepper
Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm
I upgraded from the hub to Telo (Had my main number moved from the Hub to the Telo) I had reservations soon after I did that as I had quite a few problems with dropped calls and such, but with the new releases it is working flawlessly now. The only thing I used the old Scout for was voicemail access. Now ,I placed the Telo where my Scout used to be so all is consistent with the VM machine in the eyes of my family. I am loving the great voice quality at this point too.

For what it's worth, I placed my Telo behind my Linksys router and I am utilizing QOS on the router and it just seems to work so well. I seem to have more bandwidth available to my other systems now that I did that. (My bandwidth was a little thin when I used to have my Hub before the router.)
#34219 by stevenc
Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:02 pm
I to have both the Hub and Telo. I have had no problems with Hub. Telo is a new installation with a shared line, I am experiencing stripped caller id, landline takes over after incomming calls for about 30 seconds and the wireless router intermittently drops off. I mostlikely will return the Telo to Costco its just not worth the hassel. My recomendation stay with the Hub.,