Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#33507 by doctorjones2
Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 am
As far as I know, ooma does not have the ability to hear touch-tones IN. It can do out, thank goodness, but not in.

Why? Because I use Parliant Phonevalet, and have different mailboxes for 5 people, with the ability to forward calls and email calls with this great software, when a caller touch tones their extension. I don't use ooma voice mail (except as a backup).

This is also a problem for people who want to use their existing answering machine and dial in from on the road to listen to their messages and need to key in a security code, which ooma can not hear.

In my testing I only hear a chopped off blip, and thus makes touch tones in impossible. I'm not sure why this is so, unless I am missing something.

In the meantime, I have to multiring to a MagicJack, which CAN hear touch tones in into my Mac for Phonevalet in order to use it's versatility and power.

Any news on if and when this would be around? And does the Telo have this ability? I have the Hub. Thanks!

Paul
#33547 by doctorjones2
Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:06 pm
Thanks so much Wayne. I thought it might be in the works for a firmware update for the Hub, and I hope they do it soon! I like ooma soooo much better than MagicJack! but I have to have the ability to have tones in. I'll maybe call them and see if its worth it to buy a Telo, but what do I do with the old Hub? Also I ported my phone number over, etc, my wife even has her own hub and ported her phone number over too, so it's a little complicated. Anyway, there is still hope for touch tones in then Thanks !

(Got your post on the other forum too, I wasn't sure where to post it - thanks)

Paul
#33648 by doctorjones2
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:51 am
Ah, thanks so much for clarifying that. I read your post wrong (with wishful thinking) that a firmware update would bring the hub up to speed, but now I understand I think what you're saying is the Telo is capable of touch tone in, but just not yet, as it would require another firmware update, but the Hub will never be capable of it (darn). Any idea of how one would find out if there are firmware updates for the hub or the telo? Should I check a certain page in the my ooma web page for firmware updates? Thanks again Wayne.

Paul
#35165 by amarryat
Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:04 am
WayneDsr wrote:The hub does not have that capability built in the hardware, so it's safe to say the hub will not ever have it.
The Telo, however, does.

Wayne

Seems strange. Aren't they simply tones? Especially if the "high bandwidth" codec is used, shouldn't those tones get through accurately enough to trigger the answering machine?
#35181 by southsound
Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 am
amarryat wrote:Seems strange. Aren't they simply tones? Especially if the "high bandwidth" codec is used, shouldn't those tones get through accurately enough to trigger the answering machine?

The hub (and currently the Telo) actualy have a mute function that is triggered by DTMF tones. In fact, some people can trigger that mute function with their voice. Like WayneDSR has said, don't expect it on the hub - but after things settle down, it is possible that incoming DTMF will be able to pass through the Telo. I would feel a little uncomfortable making a buying decision based on that hope because there has been no date associated with it.