Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#32710 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 pm
I think I found the problem... I was running a program to download (which I could limit the speed of the download). I did that to try and make my phone quality better. But with it running my maximum tcp delay is 500-900. with it shut down it is under 100.

Edit: so instead of using that, I think it would be best to put my computer behind my telo, and use the telo to limit my dowload speed.
#32714 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 pm
or maybe not.....????

I turned the downloader back on just to confirm, and now I am still getting good reports... so who knows, maybe it is the internet service going up and down?

Edit:
ok, some more testing, it seems like if I do not use the internet then I get good readings everytime, but if you refresh a web page, or use the internet while the test is going it turns out bad.
#32739 by murphy
Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm
You can't be running anything else in the background when you run the test because it can't account for the load from those programs.
#32754 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm
murphy wrote:You can't be running anything else in the background when you run the test because it can't account for the load from those programs.

ok, that was my problem. So I have a good internet connection, and now have it set up with a router, the telo, then a router to everything else.

I tried downloading some stuff, then got on the phone, and it was ok, but I had a few times where it made funny noises, and it seemed delayed a bit.

are there some settings on the telo I can use to fix that?

Thanks
#32761 by murphy
Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 pm
From a computer downstream from the Telo connect to http://setup.ooma.com.
In there on the advanced page you can configure the QOS settings so the Telo doesn't get starved out by other processes.
As a starting point leave downstream at 0 (disabled) and set upstream to 80% of your actual upstream speed.
Note that the entry is in kbps and most tests display mbps.
#32773 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:05 pm
what does downstream, and upstream mean? And does a higher kbps make the phone better or worse?

I am just trying to understand how to adjust if I need to, and I need to know what upstream is to know what to take 80% of? Is that download speed, and upload speed?

Sorry for all the dumb questions

David
#32785 by tommies
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:43 pm
davidwillis wrote:what does downstream, and upstream mean? And does a higher kbps make the phone better or worse?

I am just trying to understand how to adjust if I need to, and I need to know what upstream is to know what to take 80% of? Is that download speed, and upload speed?

Sorry for all the dumb questions

David

Downstream is the download directon, upstream means upload direction.

Run several speed test at different times, take some where between 80%-100% of the average speed and enter into the QoS of the Telo.

Note: 1.5Mb=1500kb

The Telo QoS will ensure the call quality by reserve the bandwidth when the call is active. The number you enter the box will affect others application using the net. Say if the modem is running at 90% of the list speed, then 10% will be lost/wasted.

voip is depending more that just speed, there are jitter, latency, packet lost, etc. and I don't fully understand these jargons either.
#32827 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm
well I don't think the QOS will help, because I have a speed of 2.59 Mbps up, and I had the QOS set to 350 kbps. In fact I would probably worry more about the downstream when I download something, because it uses up my burst speed, then I am left with a speed of about 500kbps where my upstream speed stays fast.
#32843 by tommies
Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm
Had you tried to put the Telo behind the router.

I read that you have 4 routers, so put the best one up front. I mean the router that offer QoS base on priority(ie you don't have to put in the up/down speed like the Telo's QoS)

Connect Telo to this router and only give telo the highest priority, every thing else would be on 2nd best downward. Optional, give the telo a static ip address from the router.

connect other pc's and/or routers to the first router like you have it before ooma.

nothing connect to the telo HOME port.

You can temporary connect a pc/laptop to its HOME port, and then go to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 to change some setting. On Network page, change the MODEM MAC to use its build in MAC, click update. On Advanced page, copy the HOME port ip into its own DMZ, update. The QoS now has no effect since nothing will connect behind the telo.

You can connect to ooma setup using the static ip above from within you home LAN.

Don't forget to power cycle every thing, starting from the modem and follow the connectin chain.

Hope this helps.