Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#32505 by davidwillis
Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:10 pm
in the setup, it says for best results I should setup my telo directly to the internet, and then have my router after that.

My problem is than my network connection needs specific settings for the ip, subnet, gateway, and pref. DNS.

Can I set these up in the telo box, or will I just have to have it after the router?

Thanks
David
#32511 by tommies
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:09 pm
The recommended setup is for the mass with little or no networking knowledge and just using the net for web browsing+regular email.

For advance users, putting the telo behind the router is prefered. You'll find that many of the contributors in this forum indead use this setup(myself included.) After all, the main function of the telo is provide the voip dial tone, and its routing functionallity cannot compare to a full fledge router.
#32516 by Aveamantium
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:30 pm
tommies wrote:The recommended setup is for the mass with little or no networking knowledge and just using the net for web browsing+regular email.

For advance users, putting the telo behind the router is prefered. You'll find that many of the contributors in this forum indead use this setup(myself included.) After all, the main function of the telo is provide the voip dial tone, and its routing functionallity cannot compare to a full fledge router.

Wow, guess I'm a non-advanced user... :?

You tell me how to do the following and I'll be a believer: (a) set up Qos in Tomato (or any other router/firmware) when your ISP speeds vary wildly; (b) how to get inbound Qos to work well when you have a family using the internet to watch TV when you only have 1.5 Mbps down; and (c) how to do this conditionally (only on a call). I agree that the Qos in the Telo/Hub isn't perfect but since it can accomplish (b) and (c) then for some of us it is optimal. Just my $0.02...

Just put the router's WAN IP in the Telo/Hub DMZ and it is like it doesn't even exist! ;)
#32519 by Aveamantium
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:38 pm
davidwillis wrote:in the setup, it says for best results I should setup my telo directly to the internet, and then have my router after that.

My problem is than my network connection needs specific settings for the ip, subnet, gateway, and pref. DNS.

Can I set these up in the telo box, or will I just have to have it after the router?

Thanks
David

If you prefer this setup (both before and behind the router have their advantages/disadvantages) then you can setup all that you list in the GUI. That is unless you want multiple subnets then that could be an issue. Also for the gateway, the Telo/Hub will assign the "Home Ports" IP (typically 172.27.35.1). You can give it your pref. DNS servers...
#32530 by tommies
Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 pm
Aveamantium wrote:
tommies wrote:The recommended setup is for the mass with little or no networking knowledge and just using the net for web browsing+regular email.

Wow, guess I'm a non-advanced user... :?

You tell me how to do the following and I'll be a believer: (a) set up Qos in Tomato (or any other router/firmware) when your ISP speeds vary wildly; (b) how to get inbound Qos to work well when you have a family using the internet to watch TV when you only have 1.5 Mbps down; and (c) how to do this conditionally (only on a call). I agree that the Qos in the Telo/Hub isn't perfect but since it can accomplish (b) and (c) then for some of us it is optimal. Just my $0.02...

Just put the router's WAN IP in the Telo/Hub DMZ and it is like it doesn't even exist! ;)

I speak on my own experiences. At the time I signed up for ooma. I have very little knowledge of thing call networking. At first I also have ooma in front of the router too.

Well yes I only have DSL with 1.5Mb down/256kb up(this is list speed and the actuall speel is alway slower). My wife watch movie/tv on her laptop every single night, and I myself streaming from espn360.com occasionally.

The main difference, at least for me, is that ooma QoS is reserved bandwidth base and my router is priority base(and it's a cheap one @$20). So I don't have to guess and lock my bandwidth into a abitrated number, because the atual speed is alway vary and my bandwidth is rather limited. I had tested ooma while streaming video on two pc's at the same time. It works for me. When a call is active, around 45kb is taken each way for the call and the rest of the bandwidth is available for other activities. This is optimum for me, every single kb is precious for me.

I don't have a home server, no DMZ, no NAS devices. no bittorrent, no gaming, Exchange server, network printer, etc., and I have seen enought of posts regarding troubles with these things, and as alway, putting ooma behind the router is prefered. Not that it has to be this way. You can accomplete any way you want with the default setup. I know one who does away with the router, and yet his network is more complicated than mine.

Life is hard enough, I just try to make thing a little simpler. Hey may be if I had used advanced setup instead of advanced user, well to heck with that.
#32536 by Aveamantium
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 pm
My router (WRT54GL running Tomato) is priority based as well but it still needs the user to set the upload speeds in order for it to figure out how to prioritize traffic. Inbound Qos is an imperfect science since you can't control what your ISP sends to you so all you can do is drop packets, thereby causing the ISP to slow down. Again, my router requires you to enter a download speed as well in order to figure out how to prioritize traffic in this direction. Consequently, I'd have to set my upload and download speeds at the low end of my average ISP speeds for the Qos to work correctly all the time. Unfortunately, this means you're capping your speeds at these levels even when more bandwidth is available.

This is where the Telo/Hub shines... Yes you have to enter in speeds but it is only conditional and in our house the phone is priority. Yes, you may lose some bandwidth for the rest of the LAN with conservative upload and download settings but you know that when a call is not in progress you're guaranteed to get your full ISP speeds.

I acutally utilize both configurations in our house. I have the Telo in front of the router as it will be our main phone (and guarantees quality) and my Hub behind the router (with Qos set in only the upstream direction on my router for it) for the kids' phones upstairs. Seems to work great!

Seems to me that the Telo/Hub offer excellent flexibility for which ever configuration suits your needs. If I had a constant bandwidth I would probably let my router do the Qos in both directions and put both Ooma devices behind my router, but then we'd be talking about a perfect world! :D

Peace Man! :cool:
#32662 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:17 am
Aveamantium wrote:
davidwillis wrote:in the setup, it says for best results I should setup my telo directly to the internet, and then have my router after that.

Thanks
David

If you prefer this setup (both before and behind the router have their advantages/disadvantages) then you can setup all that you list in the GUI. That is unless you want multiple subnets then that could be an issue. Also for the gateway, the Telo/Hub will assign the "Home Ports" IP (typically 172.27.35.1). You can give it your pref. DNS servers...

sorry, I don't know much about this stuff, but my phone seems delayed a bit, and I thought it would work better putting it first. My wife does not like the delay, and if I can't fix it I may have to go back to the landline.

I am not sure how to setup the default gateway. I found the ip, netmask(I guess that is the same as the subnet?) and the pref dns.

I plugged that in, but it would not connect (just had the red blinking light for about 10 min).

I see the DMZ but am not sure what that means.

I just want the best setup for my phone to work. I do have a nice router (a cradlepoint), and a not so nice one (actually I have about 4 routers). So worst case, I could put one of my other routers first, then the telo, then the final router.

Also, I do use a network printer, so I would like to keep that working if possible.

Thanks
david

Edit: what is the router address for in the settings?

Edit2: So from what I can see, the home is the default gateway. Can I change that?
#32668 by Aveamantium
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:31 am
First let's do a test using this link http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
The delay is usually a jitter problem with your ISP and won't be solved inside of your network. Post your results so we can look at it.

In your case it is probably easier to keep the Hub behind your router (I would only recommend putting it in front if you have voice quality issues like voice breaking out. Won't likely help delay...). However, if you want to try putting the Hub in front of the router see below:

Connect just the Hub behind the modem, reboot the modem wait for 20 sec, then power cycle the Hub while holding down the clear ooma tab. Continue to hold the tab for 30 sec, after you power on, while it does it's light show then release. This will set the Hub to factory defaults. If this doesn't work, then login to the Hub and change the MAC to use built in. Then power cycle the modem wait 20 sec then power cycle the Hub. Nothing else should be attached at this point. Now if we get a blue tab then you can connect the router behind the Hub and do some more tweaking for the network. First set the start and end IP (DHCP Section) to the same number. Also put this same number into the DMZ (this will pass all traffic to the router). Following this reboot modem, Hub, then router in that order, with time between each.
#32670 by davidwillis
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:45 am
ok, looks like my quality of service is not great. Would that cause delays?

Edit:
also, I did a ping to ooma.com 52 to 81 ms

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but my internet has great burst speeds for a few seconds, then quickly cuts down. I don't know if that effects this at all, because I doubt using the phone uses up the burst...???
Attachments
snapshot815.png
snapshot815.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
Last edited by davidwillis on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.