Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#32423 by Kneehi
Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 am
I currently have comcast triple play (TV, Internet, and Phone). I am looking to get the ooma regardless, but would like to port my number from comcast to ooma. Can you tell me your story? Please include the time that it took and if you had to cancel the service (comcast) afterward.

I have read too in this forum that Comcast may limit bandwith to certain IP addresses (including ones used by ooma) to conserve bandwidth. Have you experienced problems with Comcast (static, choppiness, etc.) ?

Thank you.
#32433 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 am
Kneehi wrote:I currently have comcast triple play (TV, Internet, and Phone). I am looking to get the ooma regardless, but would like to port my number from comcast to ooma. Can you tell me your story? Please include the time that it took and if you had to cancel the service (comcast) afterward.

I have read too in this forum that Comcast may limit bandwith to certain IP addresses (including ones used by ooma) to conserve bandwidth. Have you experienced problems with Comcast (static, choppiness, etc.) ?

I ported my number from Comcast and it took 19 days. Upon completion of the port, my Comcast phone account was automatically closed. If you currently have a "triple play" for which you are receiving a discount on all services, your TV & Internet service may increase in $.

I've not seen any evidence of bandwidth throttling to Ooma's servers or anywhere else, but I've no doubt Comcast would do it if they could get away with it. Usually the only issues I have with connectivity is when Comcast is messing with the lines in my neighborhood. The sight of a Comcast line truck passing by is often a precursor to an Internet outage.
#32682 by Kneehi
Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:25 pm
Thank you groundhound. I have been researching Comcast doubleplay bundle (TV,Internet) and it's introductory price is $69.99 for the first 6 months. Two weeks ago after 6 months it would go up to $84.99 then it went to $99.99 and now it shows $102.99. I guess I missed my opportunity. I am considering just going to basic cable with a DVR. Heard that Comcast can not filter out most channels with the HD DVR but not certain on this. If I select this prior to switching to ooma they might jack up my pricing for the month prior to the port. If I wait until I switch the port I might lose out on the internet and tv pricing. Just trying to do the delicate dance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Before when the triple play introductory cost ran out I would call and they would quickly reduce the cost to the new introductory rate. It seems that they have since changed their policy and is playing hardball since U-Verse (AT&T) is not yet available in my area.
#34368 by Kneehi
Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am
I finally decoupled my triple play plan from Comcast. I went to the unlimited local and 5cents for long distance (beyond 15 miles) for $24.95 which doesn't matter since we have the ooma and will later drop post port. I got a smaller TV package and the economy internet to see what effect it would have on the ooma. Went from 15mb/s to 1.5 without a problems so far with router between the modem and the ooma. I was excited to finally port my number to ooma, but received a phone call at work from my wife complaining that our telephone (Comcast phone) doesn't work. I spent an entire hour on the phone that morning with Comcast to find out that they gave me another number. Forunately they were able to find my old number, but will not have it connected for upwards of 72 hours. I found out that I was able to forward my old number to the ooma number so that I can still receive calls from my old number and make my wife happier for the switch as she was saying that this isn't worth the $250 for ooma. 24 hours to go and I will initiate the port to ooma and we will kiss that $25 a month good bye which will make her happier.
#34691 by Kneehi
Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 am
After a while on the phone Comcast couldn't fix their system on their end. I had a scheduled service call and then realized that I didn't want to waste more time and money just to port my number. I called comcast back and cancelled the service call to repair the line (which would have been a waste since nothing has changed on my end) and cancelled the service which resulted in us losing our number but the satisfaction that ooma provides so much more.

Therefore, I have concluded that when you downgrade with Comcast they make it difficult on you, which results in loss of business. I have also learned that when you want to downgrade ask to be disconnected and they transfer you to the "retention department". They will do more for you to keep you than just downgrading.