Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#31473 by MikeekiM
Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:00 am
Hi All...

I have two Ooma phone numbers...both are going to my hub and 3 scouts, all configured as a shared devices...

Because I want to separate my work and personal visibility, I dial **1 prefix for all business calls, and that's about all I do...

I haven't really configured one of the scouts to be a personal device because I kind of like my living room scout to feed both callerids to my DVR on-screen display so that I can see who is calling regardless of what number they are dialing... But at the same time, it would be nice to separate work and home numbers even more...

Besides not feeding callerid to my shared scout in my living room, what other downsides should I be aware of?

Pro of Assigning Personal Device
- Feed 2nd line dialtone to a specific work-at-home phone
- Separate voicemail for work related calls (and a work related greeting)

Disadvantages
- CallerID from line 2 won't pass to shared scouts and hub for DVR display
- Do I lose the instant second line on the shared devices if line 2 isn't being used?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
#31475 by murphy
Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:05 am
Instant second line will still work on the shared devices as long as physical line 2 isn't in use.
You are assigning a number to the device, not a physical line.
When you make a call with the private device it will use physical line 1 if it is not already in use.