Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#31000 by egutin
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm
I have been waiting to join Ooma until the Telo was released - my Telo arrived from Amazon this past Wednesday. Overall it has been great - when it is working. We own the Ooma for one main reason - we live in an apartment that gets spotty cel service at best. Since we expect to stay in this apartment for a few years, we decided that the Ooma would be our best phone solution.

Three times now - last Thursday, last Friday, and today - I or my wife has returned home to find that we have no dial tone on the phone. Each of those times, the Telo display has been the same - the 1 is lit up red, and the play icon is pulsing red. The unit is completely unresponsive, and requires a restart (unplug, replug) in order to work. Once it goes through it's start-up cycle of 1-2 minutes it functions fine again. It is because of this problem that I have not yet canceled the Comcast VOIP service.

Our setup is the following for our home network - Comcast Cable Modem> Ooma Telo> Apple Airport Express.

I understand that devices ave occasional glitches - the three year old Airport Express, for example, has a glitch and needs to be restarted about once every month. My Macbook, a few times a year. However, I believe that if a communications device needs to be restarted every other day in order to function properly that it is not working properly.

I called customer service this evening. I would like to confirm that, just as others have said, I got an agent very quickly. The agent was very polite the entire time, but was almost entirely unhelpful. What follows is what we spoke about, and my own thoughts. I hope that either (A) someone from the US operation will read this and either confirm what I was told or correct it OR (B) someone else has had the same problem and has a workaround.

The customer service agent asked if the internet connection had been out at all
I asked why - after all, I have owned a number of devices since I purchased high speed internet for the first time, in 2001, and none of them have needed a restart because of the service going down for a bit.

The agent informed me that even the slightest glitch in the network can create the need for a restart of the Ooma
Really? In the year 2009 a brand new networked device can not handle a "glitch" without (seemingly) crashing and needing to be unplugged and replugged? If this is truly how the Telo works, it is a huge design flaw. If this is the case, mine will be going right back to Amazon. However if this is not the case, if the Telo should be able to handle the occasional glitch and even service outage, then why did tech support tell me that even a small glitch could require a restart?

At no point did the agent address the Ooma display
I described, at the beginning of the phone call, the display when the unit was crashed. There was no explanation of what the display meant, and at no point was I asked to (once again) describe the display. I would like to point out that the pattern that I saw on the front does not match anything described in the documentation.

The agent informed me that, once the unit has been restarted, there is no way to troubleshoot
I think there is a serious flaw in the system if Ooma has no way of troubleshooting after a problem that leads to a restart. I can imagine a number of ways in which the company could have an error log, including (at least) a note in the system when an individual device goes offline.

The automatic blaming of another service
The agent spent most of the phone call tie-ing the Telo's problems to glitches in the cable service. It took about three rounds of this before he put me on hold in order to check the device from Ooma's end. I think it is a serious problem if Ooma's customer service practice starts from "blame the other guy." While it is not as bad as "blame the customer" (something that I remember Verizon excelling at in the late 90s, for example), it is still unpleasant. The job of tech support should be to eliminate problems with the device BEFORE diagnosing problems with another provider.

To sum up, my opinions are the following:
1 - It is unacceptable that a communications device released in 2009 would require a restart because of a glitch or network outage.
2 - Tech support should first do whatever they can to diagnose a potential problem with the unit (I was asked nearly no questions about my network setup, what the display was doing that moment, etc.) before blaming a third party.
3 - Te documentation, especially in a troubleshooting situation, needs to be much more comprehensive than what is included with the unit and on the website's documentation section.

I look forward to hearing comments and any suggestions you may have. I look forward to finding a positive solution so that I can remain a customer of this very innovative company.
Last edited by egutin on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#31041 by ajw522
Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 pm
egutin wrote:I have been waiting to join Ooma until the Telo was released - my Telo arrived from Amazon this past Wednesday. Overall it has been great - when it is working. We own the Ooma for one main reason - we live in an apartment that gets spotty cel service at best. Since we expect to stay in this apartment for a few years, we decided that the Ooma would be our best phone solution.

Three times now - last Thursday, last Friday, and today - I or my wife has returned home to find that we have no dial tone on the phone. Each of those times, the Telo display has been the same - the 1 is lit up red, and the play icon is pulsing red. The unit is completely unresponsive, and requires a restart (unplug, replug) in order to work. Once it goes through it's start-up cycle of 1-2 minutes it functions fine again. It is because of this problem that I have not yet canceled the Comcast VOIP service.

Our setup is the following for our home network - Comcast Cable Modem> Ooma Telo> Apple Airport Express.

I understand that devices ave occasional glitches - the three year old Airport Express, for example, has a glitch and needs to be restarted about once every month. My Macbook, a few times a year. However, I believe that if a communications device needs to be restarted every other day in order to function properly that it is not working properly.

I called customer service this evening. I would like to confirm that, just as others have said, I got an agent very quickly. The agent was very polite the entire time, but was almost entirely unhelpful. What follows is what we spoke about, and my own thoughts. I hope that either (A) someone from the US operation will read this and either confirm what I was told or correct it OR (B) someone else has had the same problem and has a workaround.

The customer service agent asked if the internet connection had been out at all
I asked why - after all, I have owned a number of devices since I purchased high speed internet for the first time, in 2001, and none of them have needed a restart because of the service going down for a bit.

The agent informed me that even the slightest glitch in the network can create the need for a restart of the Ooma
Really? In the year 2009 a brand new networked device can not handle a "glitch" without (seemingly) crashing and needing to be unplugged and replugged? If this is truly how the Telo works, it is a huge design flaw. If this is the case, mine will be going right back to Amazon. However if this is not the case, if the Telo should be able to handle the occasional glitch and even service outage, then why did tech support tell me that even a small glitch could require a restart?

At no point did the agent address the Ooma display
I described, at the beginning of the phone call, the display when the unit was crashed. There was no explanation of what the display meant, and at no point was I asked to (once again) describe the display. I would like to point out that the pattern that I saw on the front does not match anything described in the documentation.

The agent informed me that, once the unit has been restarted, there is no way to troubleshoot
I think there is a serious flaw in the system if Ooma has no way of troubleshooting after a problem that leads to a restart. I can imagine a number of ways in which the company could have an error log, including (at least) a note in the system when an individual device goes offline.

The automatic blaming of another service
The agent spent most of the phone call tie-ing the Telo's problems to glitches in the cable service. It took about three rounds of this before he put me on hold in order to check the device from Ooma's end. I think it is a serious problem if Ooma's customer service practice starts from "blame the other guy." While it is not as bad as "blame the customer" (something that I remember Verizon excelling at in the late 90s, for example), it is still unpleasant. The job of tech support should be to eliminate problems with the device BEFORE diagnosing problems with another provider.

To sum up, my opinions are the following:
1 - It is unacceptable that a communications device released in 2009 would require a restart because of a glitch or network outage.
2 - Tech support should first do whatever they can to diagnose a potential problem with the unit (I was asked nearly no questions about my network setup, what the display was doing that moment, etc.) before blaming a third party.
3 - Te documentation, especially in a troubleshooting situation, needs to be much more comprehensive than what is included with the unit and on the website's documentation section.

I look forward to hearing comments and any suggestions you may have. I look forward to finding a positive solution so that I can remain a customer of this very innovative company.

Easy solution. Return the Telo and buy a Hub/Scout "Core" combination from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Phone-System ... 49-8550116). You get a more reliable device, it's cheaper, and you get Caller-ID Name with the basic package. And...wait for it....NO $11.75 REGULATORY RECOVERY FEE! Since your Telo isn't working now, return it and get the Core! You will love it.
#31065 by egutin
Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:26 am
I would get the original hub/scout - except, one major reason we went with Ooma is the announced integration with Google voice, especialy the kind of support it will have on the handset. However, it is something we will consider - thank you for the advice.
#31077 by WayneDsr
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:03 am
I've had my network go down and the Telo go red, but when the network came back up after about 2 minutes the Telo also came back up on it's own. Sounds like you might have an issue with your router or modem not being able to assign an ip to the telo after it has gone down, until a reboot.

Wayne
#31080 by Leeway
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 am
WayneDsr wrote:I've had my network go down and the Telo go red, but when the network came back up after about 2 minutes the Telo also came back up on it's own. Sounds like you might have an issue with your router or modem not being able to assign an ip to the telo after it has gone down, until a reboot.

Wayne

I agree with Wayne. Mine has gone out and returned to blue all by itself several times since I've had it connected.
#31088 by egutin
Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:19 am
Thank you for your responses and the idea about the modem.

However, if this is about the router not assigning an ip address, then wouldn't the Ooma insignia be lit up red, instead of the entire unit becoming unresponsive with "1" lit red and the play button pulsing red? Does the lack of being assigned an IP crash the Ooma?

Part of the confusion/frustration is that, if the Ooma is indeed telling me something specific about an error, it is not doing so in any way that is described by the documentation.
#31104 by ajw522
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 am
egutin wrote:I would get the original hub/scout - except, one major reason we went with Ooma is the announced integration with Google voice, especialy the kind of support it will have on the handset. However, it is something we will consider - thank you for the advice.

Is GVE not going to be with the Hub?
#31154 by egutin
Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:44 am
It's quite possible that you just have a defective unit, and a replacement may be fine.

I am feeling the same way - however, until the problem happens again, and if it happens again someone in the house is available to call customer service so that troubleshooting can happen while it is down (assuming a decent cell signal that afternoon/evening), it does not seem like Ooma will come through with a replacement unit.