Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#30544 by dwilkie
Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Has anyone succeeded in getting their alarm system to recognize the ooma dialtone so you don't have to keep the landline? I was told I could not port my number to ooma and get rid of my land line since I have an alarm system.
#30551 by just4fn
Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 pm
dwilkie wrote:Has anyone succeeded in getting their alarm system to recognize the ooma dialtone so you don't have to keep the landline? I was told I could not port my number to ooma and get rid of my land line since I have an alarm system.

I have a Brinks alarm system- now Broadview. Mine connects and works great. You can read this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2195&hilit=brinks&start=0
#48494 by tomtom
Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 am
Despite what Ooma customer service claims, you can get your alarm system to work with Ooma. As confirmed in multiple posts in other topic strings, the two things that seem to matter most are:

1) running a dedicated line from the Ooma (Telo, in my case) to the alarm "telco" inputs on the alarm box (how the alarm box gets its dialtone). I did this by installing a dual jack in the room where my Telo is located and running the new wire from the "phone" jack on the Telo device to the top jack of the dual wall jack and then from the wall to the alarm box "telco" input." The bottom jack in the wall retains the existing wiring and is used for plugging in a handset for telephone use. That way, the dial tone travels from the Telo directly to the alarm box, then out of the alarm box to the rest of the jacks in the house.

2) Changing the communication protocol between the alarm box and the alarm central reporting center. This requires the alarm company to make a modification, though it may not necessarily require a service call. In my case, changing this protocol from DTMF Contact ID to 20 BPS 1400HZ enabled the alarm reporting center to recognize the signal that was being sent by the alarm box.

I have a NAPCO Gemini alarm box but the above seems to work for various Brinks, ADT and other popular alarm systems.
#48498 by murphy
Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am
ADT's private branded version of the the Ademco Vista 20 P alarm system only supports Contact ID. All of the older protocols were removed from the unit.
#48884 by arlane05
Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:45 pm
For those still intrested in using Ooma with a security system, it looks like Broadview is the only one whose technical team got on the ball and came up with a working solution. ADT wants to install unreliable GSM (cellular) line, this is a braw back because if signal is weak it wont communicate and it is also more money per month to monitor. Broadview actually installed a splitter to the "phone" outlet on the main hub and hooked the existing telephone to the splitter and the wire was run straight to the alarm module. The rest is a mystery, they did all the programming within the alarm module and I am happy to say it seems to be working.

My friend had broadview install a system for him, and he needed the IP module to make his system work, the problem was that they hooked the module to his Linksys router, and every few hours the system would glitch and start to beep. The solution after several days of trial and error was to replace the wireless router, and the ONLY one that seemed to integrate well with his system was a wireless G router by NETGEAR. Not only was it compatible it was also the cheapest one in the market ($45.00). This solved the beeping problem and he has not had an issue since.

I hope this info can help someone else out there, its really frustrating but at least one company seems to have a solution to the issue. GOOD LUCK!!
#49049 by nickhello3
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:18 pm
I have a solution with the security system and it works. Don't follow the setup instruction! All you have to do is hook the "phone" jack from the ooma right to any phone jack of your home and now you have a phone signal that runs throughout your home and including your alarm security system. You don't even need the scout for your second location. You now have phone service for free. This is the best solution and ooma techs don't even know to show customers this. Leave the "wall" port on the ooma alone and don't plug anything to that. You will love it.
#49050 by nickhello3
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 pm
arlane05 wrote:For those still intrested in using Ooma with a security system, it looks like Broadview is the only one whose technical team got on the ball and came up with a working solution. ADT wants to install unreliable GSM (cellular) line, this is a braw back because if signal is weak it wont communicate and it is also more money per month to monitor. Broadview actually installed a splitter to the "phone" outlet on the main hub and hooked the existing telephone to the splitter and the wire was run straight to the alarm module. The rest is a mystery, they did all the programming within the alarm module and I am happy to say it seems to be working.

My friend had broadview install a system for him, and he needed the IP module to make his system work, the problem was that they hooked the module to his Linksys router, and every few hours the system would glitch and start to beep. The solution after several days of trial and error was to replace the wireless router, and the ONLY one that seemed to integrate well with his system was a wireless G router by NETGEAR. Not only was it compatible it was also the cheapest one in the market ($45.00). This solved the beeping problem and he has not had an issue since.

I hope this info can help someone else out there, its really frustrating but at least one company seems to have a solution to the issue. GOOD LUCK!!

YOU DON'T NEED ANY ADDITIONAL IP MODULE. JUST FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTION ON THE LAST POSTING...
#49062 by southsound
Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:57 pm
nickhello3 wrote:I have a solution with the security system and it works. Don't follow the setup instruction! All you have to do is hook the "phone" jack from the ooma right to any phone jack of your home and now you have a phone signal that runs throughout your home and including your alarm security system. You don't even need the scout for your second location. You now have phone service for free. This is the best solution and ooma techs don't even know to show customers this. Leave the "wall" port on the ooma alone and don't plug anything to that. You will love it.

PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POSTER'S WELL MEANING BUT BAD ADVICE - IT WILL LEAVE YOU WITH AN ALARM SYSTEM THAT WILL NOT REPORT PROBLEMS OR UNWANTED ENTRY.
If the alarm system is installed correctly, your solution will not work. If a haywired system, maybe. Alarm systems that are installed properly ALWAYS have a means of controling the phone line. They do this by connecting to an RJ31 jack that allows the system to seize the line in case of a report. Imagine if a burglar could break in, pick up any phone and cancel the alarm's report to the central office. Just like picking up a phone during a dial-up modem session, it will disrupt the connection.

The RJ31 connects to your telco Network Interface Box on its T and R terminals. The T1 and R1 go to the wiring that supplies all the phone jacks in the house. During a report, the connection between T / T1 and R / R1 is disrupted. The alarm panel makes its conection to the T and R terminals. If you have connected your ooma to the home jacks, the connection to the alarm system is severed from this connection during a report. To correctly connect up a Telo or hub, the PHONE jack on the ooma system has to go to the R and T connections - either on the RJ31 itself or at the Network Interface Box. Any other connection will make the alarm system fail.
#49875 by mikel
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 am
southsound you are absolutely right about the nickhello3 solution. Take it from someone who setup the phone port connected to the house wall RJ11 ports and have ADT. Once house, land line, is disconnected from demarc, ADT alarm system can no longer "phone home". You will receive a FC (failure to communicate) code on the display. I worked with ADT this weekend on getting this to work, as an aside, they do not support Ooma at least in my area. It does not work with wall jacks connected to phone port on Telo. A phone does work that way so you can move a phone anywhere an RJ11 is but NOT an ADT system. :(
#49878 by murphy
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 am
mikel wrote:southsound you are absolutely right about the nickhello3 solution. Take it from someone who setup the phone port connected to the house wall RJ11 ports and have ADT. Once house, land line, is disconnected from demarc, ADT alarm system can no longer "phone home". You will receive a FC (failure to communicate) code on the display. I worked with ADT this weekend on getting this to work, as an aside, they do not support Ooma at least in my area. It does not work with wall jacks connected to phone port on Telo. A phone does work that way so you can move a phone anywhere an RJ11 is but NOT an ADT system. :(

You must connect the ooma phone jack directly to the RJ31x jack inside of the alarm panel. The easiest way to do this is to connect the ooma phone jack to the wires that were disconnected from the demarc when the land line was disconnected.