Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#30364 by Lee
Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:17 pm
I am getting hammered from a "toll free" number daily. Their number changes everyday as they have banks of different numbers in use. Can I block them by just entering the name "toll free" in my blacklist? Other telemarketers also use state names (California is one I get often) as the caller and also have banks of different numbers.

Thanks
#30413 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:01 pm
Lee wrote:I am getting hammered from a "toll free" number daily. Their number changes everyday as they have banks of different numbers in use. Can I block them by just entering the name "toll free" in my blacklist? Other telemarketers also use state names (California is one I get often) as the caller and also have banks of different numbers.
Blacklisting is only by number AFAIK. For partial numbers you may find this thread interesting: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8948#p8948
#30416 by Lee
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:15 pm
Thanks for the link, Groundhound.

Do you know if just using a name is even possible for a block for ANY system using CID and if so, will it be added to Ooma blacklists at a later date? I'm not computer literate to understand why a computer with CID can't screen either name or number just as easily. Maybe there's something there I'm not aware of - HIGHLY likely considering my understanding of how these things work. lol
#30427 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:58 pm
Lee wrote:Thanks for the link, Groundhound.

Do you know if just using a name is even possible for a block for ANY system using CID and if so, will it be added to Ooma blacklists at a later date? I'm not computer literate to understand why a computer with CID can't screen either name or number just as easily. Maybe there's something there I'm not aware of - HIGHLY likely considering my understanding of how these things work. lol
I'm not privy to Ooma's future plans for blacklists, but I think basing them on CID-Name (CNAM) info would be like playing wack-a-mole and you could quickly consume database resources for blacklists. I think a lot of the calls come from outside the US and those making the calls aren't too concerned with federal do-not-call lists.