Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#30259 by ajw522
Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm
I am trying to send faxes through the ooma scout but it doesn't seem to work. My hub is in a place where my fax machine can connect to it. Is there any alternative?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

Alex
#30260 by gregg098
Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 pm
Unfortunately your faxes will almost always fail through the scout. I dont think Ive seen anyone here have luck with that. I personally have mine connected to the hub and almost all of my faxes have been successful.
#30261 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:20 pm
ajw522 wrote:My hub is in a place where my fax machine can connect to it. Is there any alternative?

Is your fax machine near a phone jack in your home? You can connect the phone port of your hub to the nearest wall jack and then connect your fax machine in another room to a wall jack to get the direct hub to fax connection. For best results the home wiring used should not have a DSL line connected to it, and it should be physically disconnected from the phone company's line at the demark box.
#30262 by ajw522
Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:22 pm
Groundhound wrote:
ajw522 wrote:My hub is in a place where my fax machine can connect to it. Is there any alternative?

Is your fax machine near a phone jack in your home? You can connect the phone port of your hub to the nearest wall jack and then connect your fax machine in another room to a wall jack to get the direct hub to fax connection. For best results the home wiring used should not have a DSL line connected to it, and it should be physically disconnected from the phone company's line at the demark box.


My hub is near a phone jack, and I can try that, but I have a phone system connected to the hub right now. If I use the ooma Splitter, will it affect the voice quality since I am only getting half the signal from the hub?
#30287 by jazzyone
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:21 am
I have two numbers and my fax machine works through the Scout. The fax machine is on the second line (thus the Scout).

The "Phone" port on my Hub is connected to my house wire. The "Wall" port on my Hub is connected to the "Wall" port of the Scout with a short telphone wire. Essentially I have the Hub and Scout side by side. The "Phone" port of my Scount is then connected to a two line phone and the fax machine is connected to the "data" port of the two line phone.

I have successfully received (30 seconds/page) and sent (2 minutes - 8 minutes /page) faxes with this arrangement. Transmission time seem variable, but the receive tim is pretty consistant). Perhaps it's a function of the receiving fax terminal instead of the Scout arrange.

I know it's recommended by Ooma that fax machines be hooked up directly to the Hub, but this arrangement works for me!
#30315 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:24 am
ajw522 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
ajw522 wrote:My hub is in a place where my fax machine can connect to it. Is there any alternative?

Is your fax machine near a phone jack in your home? You can connect the phone port of your hub to the nearest wall jack and then connect your fax machine in another room to a wall jack to get the direct hub to fax connection. For best results the home wiring used should not have a DSL line connected to it, and it should be physically disconnected from the phone company's line at the demark box.


My hub is near a phone jack, and I can try that, but I have a phone system connected to the hub right now. If I use the ooma Splitter, will it affect the voice quality since I am only getting half the signal from the hub?

Voice quality on your hub even with it split should be fine, I have mine split and have no problems.
#30317 by ajw522
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:41 am
OK - will try that - I will let you know of the results. Thank you Groundhound for your help. Forums are sooo much better then CS!
#30343 by ajw522
Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:40 pm
OK, so I put the splitter in the "Phone" Port on the Hub, and I plugged one side into my home phone and the other into the wall outlet. For some reason, when I plug a line into the wall outlet, the Line 1 light comes on! When I pick up the phone, I hear the ooma dial tone, but when I hang up, the light does not go away! Something is still active on the line. When I disconnect the connection to the wall outlet, the light goes off.

I have checked all of my wall sockets and nothing is plugged in.
#30392 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 pm
A couple of questions. When you pick up the phone and here the Ooma dial tone, does line 2 light up? Did you disconnect the phone company's line at the demark box (assuming no DSL and no landline)?
#30396 by ajw522
Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 pm
Groundhound wrote:A couple of questions. When you pick up the phone and here the Ooma dial tone, does line 2 light up? Did you disconnect the phone company's line at the demark box (assuming no DSL and no landline)?


No, it stays on Line 1. Yes, all lines are disconnected. I use Cable Internet.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests