Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#1655 by klhavlik
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm
Before purchasing my ooma system, I did check around on the website to see if their system will support downloading information for TiVO. Couldn't find anything so I figured that they couldn't be worse than Vonage. Now, I finally find something in the documentation that says you have to use a land-line to download guides from TiVO. I don't have a land-line and haven't had one for many years!

Please, please, please tell me that something is at least on the horizon for getting the call quality good enough for data downloads! I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my TiVO when I bought ooma to SAVE money.
#1669 by jkb
Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 am
Most TiVo units will allow a high speed internet connection to replace a phone line. If you have a newer TiVo (Series 2 or newer) you will gain enhanced features. TiVo is agnostic when it comes to landline or VOIP service; however, worse case with Ooma seems to be possible need for Scout. Since TiVo only places calls, I would think this to be unlikely.
#1736 by marklib
Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 pm
According to Ooma documentation DVR's require a landline and do not work well with a Scout hooked to the ooma network.The problem is Ooma does not make this perfectly clear, as they do not make it clear that their service is NOT UNLIMITED as stated, but you incur a charge after using the system over 3000 minutes in any month. Same sort of problem with faxing which is highly unreliable with VOIP networks, even when configured as shown in the Ooma docs.
#1744 by brwilliams
Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 pm
Check to see if your DVR or Tivo has an ethernet port. Newer units should. If it does, run a line from the ethernet port to your modem. This was the solution that customer service over at DishNetwork gave me and it worked.
#1994 by mpcindy
Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:28 pm
I have Tivo with the Tivo wireless G USB network adapter and have had no issues with it working with Ooma. The adapter is very easy to set up.
#2088 by oomaer
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:28 pm
We don't have a TiVo, but we have Dish Network DVR 522 which probably works similarly, and it requires a daily program update through a phone line. After trials & errors I finally got my DVR daily program update working with ooma. We currently only use the OOMA system without a land line. When I originally followed the guidline to setup the DVR with ooma as it says in the manual, the DVR failed to function for daily update. Here's what I did to make it work.

1) Don't follow the instruction in the manual which says to install a DVR as if it doesn't go through the ooma unit. The instruction says the DVR is simply connected to the wall through a splitter while a phone set goes though an ooma unit.

2) My DVR is connected to the "phone" jack on a "Scout" unit. Then the "Scout" connects the wall phone outlet to its "wall" jack. Note the Scout unit therefore is solely used up by the DVR to connect to the wall without involving a phone unit.

3) In the DVR setup, set up the DVR unit to dial a prefix sequence of "*99#" (without the quotation marks: star nine nine pound).

Hopefully this works for your setup too. My Dish Netork daily update is working flawlessly though we have no land line. When somebody calls our house through our ooma, even the caller ID function of the DVR flashes the caller's number on the TV screen. It appears my DVR setup is similar to a fax setup described in the manual except off cource additionally I configured my DVR's setting to dial the prefix sequence before the DVR dials up for an update. Good luck.
#2300 by Dodger
Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:09 am
I've got an ancient TiVo also that has to dial out to get updated guide information and I had to change the dialing prefix to *99 in order for it to connect.
#2303 by Carfixer64
Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 pm
Hey oomaer,
you are the man ! I have dishnetwork also and i have just done the same mod as you mentioned.

It works well. Thanks for the info.
#2305 by Carfixer64
Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:32 am
Ok, i did more checking this morning and found the dish box did not dial out through the scout with the number prefix *99# with or without a phone connected.

I went back into the dish box menu , changed the diaking prefix to *99 and then went to the diagnostic settings for the dish box and made it dial out.

It did and it updated my system. Now checking my ooma call log, i now see the phone number.

So for me, it is all working and so is the caller id showing on the TV.

Hope this works for other people also.