Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#29207 by jtykal
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 pm
I'm in the Central timezone, and we're still in DST. The clock displayed on my phone, which it MUST be getting from the Ooma hub somehow, is one hour fast. I noticed this tonight, but I don't know when it went wrong. It was correct yesterday, that much I know. I don't see anywhere in my.ooma.com or in setup.ooma.com where I can change time or timezone settings. Anyone else see this or have any ideas on what happened?
#29208 by hackerguy
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 pm
What kind of phone do you have? Most phones have their own time setting which is totally independent of Ooma?
#29235 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:30 am
Most new phones get their time from the caller ID information and some give the option of setting manually or automatic (caller id) in their setup screens.

Wayne
#29251 by murphy
Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:00 am
2 AM on 10/25 is when we would have gone back to standard time under the old DST rules.
Are you using a phone that is old enough to not know about the new DST rules?
#29252 by Leeway
Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 am
murphy wrote:2 AM on 10/25 is when we would have gone back to standard time under the old DST rules.
Are you using a phone that is old enough to not know about the new DST rules?

Great catch Murphy !!!!
#29292 by jtykal
Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:05 pm
It's not a DST issue -- I think I know what's going on. I have 2 phone numbers -- one is an 847 area code (Central timezone) and the other is 239 (Eastern timezone). Apparently, the caller-ID timestamp is based on the presumed locality of the area code. Whenever I get a call on my 239 number, the clock on my phone displays Eastern time (one hour later). If a call comes in on the 847 number, the clock shows the correct time.
#29378 by Davesworld
Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 am
Most phones change their time based on the caller id of the last phone call so no, it is not independent. Here's where it gets muddy, where does the caller id get it's time stamp? On my last phone system, Packet 8, the ATA (this is also what a ooma hub and telo are) is where it got the time stamp. Packet 8 had not updated the firmware even until now since 2007. I had to log into the ATA, turn off DST and pick a time zone an hour ahead during DST and then back to mine in November.

Now with ooma, there are no such settings in the hub, in fact it does not even display the time it thinks it is in the hub web gui anywhere. As near as I can tell, whatever address you have in your account is where the time zone is correlated or is it by area code? Still, it shouldn't have changed yesterday.

In my current arrangement, it works fine, I have a cordless caller ID enabled system on my hub and a second one on the scout which has the second line attached to it as a personal device. I just made a call to both from my cell and it still shows the right time.
#29387 by jtykal
Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 am
Davesworld wrote:As near as I can tell, whatever address you have in your account is where the time zone is correlated or is it by area code?

The caller-ID timestamp appears to be based off of the area code and not the service address, since the time on the phone changes based on whether the last call was to my 239 number (Eastern timezone) or my 847 number (Central timezone).