Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#26683 by PaulD
Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 am
I noticed a couple days ago when I’m on the phone my Internet doesn’t work. Right after I hang up, it works. I made three more calls, and every time I’m on the phone, the Internet quits working and then resumes right after hanging up the phone.

I have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424WR router. The Ooma hub and my PC are plugged directly into the Actiontec router (no PC is plugged into the Ooma hub).

I powered off my PC, Actiontec router and Ooma hub, and after powering them back on, the problem remains.

Any ideas?

(I emailed support two days ago, and have yet to get a reply)
#26691 by niknak
Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:44 am
i have the same setup - Verizon FIOS, ooma hub plugged in to the router, and I have never had that problem, can even be on the PC watching a streaming video and when a call is made video continues and call quality is great
PS we share the same first name and last initial!
#26695 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am
I had the same problem almost a year ago when I first setup my ooma hub.
My issue was with DSL. I had the WALL plug on the ooma hub connected to my house wall plug that had DSL on it. The dsl would take my internet down (and landline) as soon as I placed a call. Disconnecting my wall connection fixed it.

Could this be your issue?

Wayne
#26708 by jmassimilla
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:22 pm
PaulD wrote:I noticed a couple days ago when I’m on the phone my Internet doesn’t work. Right after I hang up, it works. I made three more calls, and every time I’m on the phone, the Internet quits working and then resumes right after hanging up the phone.

I have Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec MI424WR router. The Ooma hub and my PC are plugged directly into the Actiontec router (no PC is plugged into the Ooma hub).

I powered off my PC, Actiontec router and Ooma hub, and after powering them back on, the problem remains.

Any ideas?

(I emailed support two days ago, and have yet to get a reply)

I have the exact same service, equipment, and setup as you have and have never experienced that issue. When I first started reading your post, I thought "he has a 2.4 ghz cordless phone". I had the same problem with my wireless internet cutting off every time we used our 2.4 gig phone because it interfered with the wireless signal. An upgrade to 5.8 gig solved that problem. You, however, are wired which seems strange. A long shot, but maybe your phone (assuming you have a cordless phone close to the router) is somehow interferring with the router and shutting it down? Does the globe symbol on your router go out or turn orange when this happens? Maybe try substituting another phone and see what happens.FWIW
#26732 by PaulD
Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm
Wayne: I have my telephone plugged into the "phone" jack on the Ooma hub and the "modem" jack goes to my router. I have nothing in the "home" or "wall" jacks.

I've been trying various things, and it's only getting weirder:

The problem is only with my PC. I have two PC's right beside each other, and while my daughter was on one, she was watching a video and I fired up a video on YouTube. I got on the phone and her video kept going, but mine died.

My phone is a cordless/base unit with a speaker phone. I tried using the phone through the base unit so I wasn't using a wireless connection, and my PC still loses Internet access.

I tried changing the IP address on my PC. It was 192.168.1.9, and it changed to 192.168.1.2 when I forced it to refresh through the "repair this connection" in the XP Control Panel Network Connections. This didn't help.

So it must be something on my PC. Very weird....
#26746 by niknak
Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:30 pm
...My phone is a cordless/base unit with a speaker phone. I tried using the phone through the base unit so I wasn't using a wireless connection...

even though you weren't using the wireless handset, the base station was still plugged in? It's possible the base is sending stray RF which is causing interference?

I was thinking the same thing when you said your daughter's pc was ok...i was thinking it is some kind of DHCP conflict, but looks like you tried to fix this, maybe you need to do some more checking here?
#34557 by PaulD
Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:15 pm
Until today, I had no fix for this.

Sunday morning I got up and found my Verizon FiOS router completely dead. I just received the replacement, installed it,
and I can surf while on the phone! It was the router! What exactly the router was doing, I'll never know.

I had other problems that are now gone:

Painfully slow surfing at times. I have another PC right by mine, and I would go to the same site on both PC's and watch the other PC access sites instantly while mine would crawl.

Not able to complete most downloads. I've been trying to download the latest firmware for my iPod Touch for over a month now (I just downloaded it in a few seconds). It always would stall out partway through. This would happen with other downloads from other sites. I've successfully downloaded from other sites too.
#34630 by southsound
Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:05 pm
PaulD wrote: Sunday morning I got up and found my Verizon FiOS router completely dead. I just received the replacement, installed it, and I can surf while on the phone! It was the router! What exactly the router was doing, I'll never know.

What great news! We're glad that it was something that you were able to fix with just a swapout of the router. I had a spell of REALLY slow net access - we're talking 220 kbps down - but 768 up!! I pay for 1.5 mbps down and 768 kbps up. Turns out that it was not my router or wiring this time but rather 3 of the 4 trunks to our island were down. I had purchased another modem/router just in case. I was able to return it to Wally's today and get my $98 back. Life is good. Internet and ooma rock. Now if I could just get rid of the periodic loss of network and having to do the "repair this connection" in the XP Control Panel Network Connections thing. I don't know if it is just that my laptop times out or what.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
#35290 by zachkhan
Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:11 am
I have a similar problem. I have noticed the internet lags when ooma is in use. Its not such a big deal but what annoyed me the most is that the gaming consoles will also sign me out when somebody is on the phone. I have lost a lot of progress on some great tournaments online. I have Cablevision service with a Belkin N1 router. The modem connects to the ooma hub and then the ooma hub connects to the router. I usually have 5-10 computers and 1-3 consoles connected any given time and they previously worked without any hiccups. Either I didn't have this problem before or I didn't noticed it.